New York, NY (It’s a hell of a town)

Yakutsk, Russia

Istanbul, Turkey

Sacramento/Tahoe, California

Athens, Greece

Pretoria, RSA

Oahu, Hawaii

Örebro, Sweden

Panama City, Panama (or Florida, I’m not sure which)

Helsinki, Finland

Essen, Germany

Almaty, U.S.S.R (they’ll be back)

Denver, Colorado

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOPG 2022 Beijing China

SOPG 2024 Los Angeles USA

WOPG 2026 Reno - Lake Tahoe USA

SOPG 2028 Berlin Germany

WOPG 2030 Calgary Canada

SOPG 2032 Bangkok Thailand

WOPG 2034 Barcelona Spain

SOPG 2036 Toronto Canada

WOPG 2038 Sapporo Japan

SOPG 2040 Perth Australia

WOPG 2042 Munich Germany

SOPG 2044 Cape Town South Africa

Can you please clarify SYOG and WYOG from 2018 until 2044 - within this list? Thanks

As long as I see New York host an olympics in my lifetime in fine, just putting that out there....

Don't hold your breath. The powers that be may be interested in an Olympic bid at some point in the future, but I don't know that it'll happen in time to land the 2036 Olympics which is "New York's time." To bernham's point, it's not the New York is above the Olympics. There's just not a feasible plan that has come together that works well for the city and for the IOC. I know on a site like this, it seems implausible to some that such a thing could happen, that a major city doesn't see the benefits of hosting an Olympics. I would love to see an Olympics in New York in my lifetime as well, but until it makes sense to bid, it's not going to happen.

Don't hold your breath. The powers that be may be interested in an Olympic bid at some point in the future, but I don't know that it'll happen in time to land the 2036 Olympics which is "New York's time." To bernham's point, it's not the New York is above the Olympics. There's just not a feasible plan that has come together that works well for the city and for the IOC. I know on a site like this, it seems implausible to some that such a thing could happen, that a major city doesn't see the benefits of hosting an Olympics. I would love to see an Olympics in New York in my lifetime as well, but until it makes sense to bid, it's not going to happen.

Yeah I'm not going by Tonys plan that 2036 will be New Yorks time, I'm thinking around 2048 after Denver and LA have hosted

Yeah I'm not going by Tonys plan that 2036 will be New Yorks time, I'm thinking around 2048 after Denver and LA have hosted

Not sure that's a wise prediction either. Let's say LA gets 2024. Are they going to come back again just 24 years later? That's a lot to ask for. I'm 35 years old and I can only hope I'm alive long enough to see 2 more Summer Olympics in this country. But if Los Angeles gets the next one, whenever that is, I don't think I'm going to be alive long enough for the Olympics to come to New York.

Not sure that's a wise prediction either. Let's say LA gets 2024. Are they going to come back again just 24 years later? That's a lot to ask for. I'm 35 years old and I can only hope I'm alive long enough to see 2 more Summer Olympics in this country. But if Los Angeles gets the next one, whenever that is, I don't think I'm going to be alive long enough for the Olympics to come to New York.

Considering the circumstances right now I'd say yes with the lack of bidders, but that can change, but overall it's just to far into the future.

As much as I love American-French culture Quebec is just not going to happen.

I wouldn't be so sure. The president of the COC, Marcel Aubut is a bit of a sleaze bag. He was the guy who sold the Nordiques to Colorado and made somewhere around 15 million. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to pull strings to make Quebec the candidate, as sort of a "make-up" to the people of Quebec City.

What is troubling me is how the IOC is going to couple their perpetual desire for new frontiers and their absolute love for english speaking countries with the fact they cannot stay far from Europe for too long for the SOG.

After Paris hosted 1924, for almost a century, they systematically went for places where they never been, Seoul, Mexico, Moscow, Barcelona, Beijing, Tokyo, Montreal, Rome etc and the much beloved english speakers : Australia, the US and the UK.

There is only two exceptions : Athens. {And I don't need to argue this is a special place for the IOC} and Munich when they already been to Germany.

Yet, they suddenly elected Tokyo for 2020 and my question is : Is this a new era where the IOC go back to former host countries or more like a Munich thing ?

And so are Rome and Berlin on the table or are we going back to Boston, Istanbul, Durban ?

I will give it a try

2022 Beijing, China
2024 Boston, or any city winning the USOC nomination, USA

2026 Munich, Germany
2028 Cape town, South Africa
2030 Calgary Canada
2032 Istanbul, Turkey
2034 Oslo, Norway
2036 Melbourne, Australia
2038 Sapporo Japan
2040 Shanghai, China
2042 Sion, Switzerland

What is troubling me is how the IOC is going to couple their perpetual desire for new frontiers and their absolute love for english speaking countries with the fact they cannot stay far from Europe for too long for the SOG.

After Paris hosted 1924, for almost a century, they systematically went for places where they never been, Seoul, Mexico, Moscow, Barcelona, Beijing, Tokyo, Montreal, Rome etc and the much beloved english speakers : Australia, the US and the UK.

There is only two exceptions : Athens. {And I don't need to argue this is a special place for the IOC} and Munich when they already been to Germany.

Yet, they suddenly elected Tokyo for 2020 and my question is : Is this a new era where the IOC go back to former host countries or more like a Munich thing ?

And so are Rome and Berlin on the table or are we going back to Boston, Istanbul, Durban ?

If you're talking about what they did "systematically," you're making a lot of expectations in order to fit your system and then pointing to 1 aberration (which, as you noted, is really the 3rd) that somehow breaks the pattern. That's kinda like how people used to think here that only years ending in 8 would feature an Asian host. That was a pattern.. until it wasn't.

The thing to keep in mind isn't just trying to find trends or patterns in the cities that won, but to look at the circumstances of how they got there. Tokyo won the 2020 bid because there were only 2 other bidders, both of which (Madrid and Istanbul) seemed like less than reliable options. So the IOC went with Tokyo. That you mentioned Barcelona.. I'd hardly consider that a new frontier the way we apply that label now to China or to Brazil. And that Olympics probably should have gone to Paris if not for Juan Antonio Samaranch rigging the race so that his hometown Barcelona would win. Moscow won in 1980 where the Winter Olympics that year were to be held in the United States (Lake Placid was the only bidder) and the previous Summer Olympics had been in Canada. Montreal won the `76 bid because they were the only non-superpower of the 3 bidders. Rome 1960 wasn't really a new frontier either as Rome had originally been selected as host of the 1908 games and don't forget Cortina d'Ampezzo had been selected host of the 1956 Winter Olympics.

If you're looking at potential 2024 hosts, it's almost pointless to look at the bigger picture. Focus on those bidders (whoever the list may comprise) in that time and place. Rome probably would have had a good shot at landing the 2020 Olympics had economic issues (among other things) forced them to withdraw. If a German city were to bid and they had their act together, no reason they couldn't be selected. The history you're offering up hardly takes Rome or Berlin off the table if they're in the race.

The problem is that they can only vote on countries that put up a bid. They can't force Italy to go heavily into debt to build an Olympic Park in Milan if the Italians don't want to.

I know that French-speakers don't want to hear this, but there are also simply more wealthy first world countries that speak English than French. There's no French-speaking equivalent to Australia or the United States. If there were I'm sure the IOC would have given them fair consideration. After all they did choose Montreal, and that's obviously a French city.

At this point I'm sure the IOC would love to give a European city the 2024 games.

I'd say that if LA gets 2024, 2036 would set up nicely for Toronto.

If New York City Hosts, I can't see Toronto Hosting a Summer Olympics and Paralympics for a while, unless only 1-2 Cities Bid.

I will give it a try

2022 Beijing, China

2024 Boston, or any city winning the USOC nomination, USA

2026 Munich, Germany

2028 Cape town, South Africa

2030 Calgary Canada

2032 Istanbul, Turkey

2034 Oslo, Norway

2036 Melbourne, Australia

2038 Sapporo Japan

2040 Shanghai, China

2042 Sion, Switzerland

Going by Your Predictions:

2022 - Beijing, China - Correct. This will happen.

2024 - Boston, United States Of America - Sorry, but 2024 is Europe's Time.

2026 - Munich, Germany - I suppose Munich 2026 is a possibility.

2028 - Cape Town, South Africa - Durban, South Africa will most probably Host.

2030 - Calgary, Canada - I suppose Calgary 2030 is a possibility.

2032 - Istanbul, Turkey - Turkey won't Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics for a long Time.

2034 - Oslo, Norway - Oslo 2034 is a possibility.

2036 - Melbourne, Australia - I reckon New York City, United States Of America will Host it in 2036.

2038 - Sapporo, Japan - I suppose this is a possibility.

2040 - Shanghai, China - 2040 will also be Europe's Time.

2042 - Sion, Switzerland - A Possibility.

The problem is that they can only vote on countries that put up a bid. They can't force Italy to go heavily into debt to build an Olympic Park in Milan if the Italians don't want to.

I know that French-speakers don't want to hear this, but there are also simply more wealthy first world countries that speak English than French. There's no French-speaking equivalent to Australia or the United States. If there were I'm sure the IOC would have given them fair consideration. After all they did choose Montreal, and that's obviously a French city.

At this point I'm sure the IOC would love to give a European city the 2024 games.

England is wealthy. Fact.

If you're talking about what they did "systematically," you're making a lot of expectations in order to fit your system and then pointing to 1 aberration (which, as you noted, is really the 3rd) that somehow breaks the pattern. That's kinda like how people used to think here that only years ending in 8 would feature an Asian host. That was a pattern.. until it wasn't.

The thing to keep in mind isn't just trying to find trends or patterns in the cities that won, but to look at the circumstances of how they got there. Tokyo won the 2020 bid because there were only 2 other bidders, both of which (Madrid and Istanbul) seemed like less than reliable options. So the IOC went with Tokyo. That you mentioned Barcelona.. I'd hardly consider that a new frontier the way we apply that label now to China or to Brazil. And that Olympics probably should have gone to Paris if not for Juan Antonio Samaranch rigging the race so that his hometown Barcelona would win. Moscow won in 1980 where the Winter Olympics that year were to be held in the United States (Lake Placid was the only bidder) and the previous Summer Olympics had been in Canada. Montreal won the `76 bid because they were the only non-superpower of the 3 bidders. Rome 1960 wasn't really a new frontier either as Rome had originally been selected as host of the 1908 games and don't forget Cortina d'Ampezzo had been selected host of the 1956 Winter Olympics.

If you're looking at potential 2024 hosts, it's almost pointless to look at the bigger picture. Focus on those bidders (whoever the list may comprise) in that time and place. Rome probably would have had a good shot at landing the 2020 Olympics had economic issues (among other things) forced them to withdraw. If a German city were to bid and they had their act together, no reason they couldn't be selected. The history you're offering up hardly takes Rome or Berlin off the table if they're in the race.

Geopolitics play a big role.

Geopolitics play a big role.

No $hit, sherlock. But you can't matter of factly state that the 2024 Summer Olympics (or even the 2024 Summer Paralympics) will be in European. Especially not after a 2022 race that initially had 4 European cities (not to mention Germany and Switzerland who had shown some interest) and now has 0 European cities. So yes, MAYBE 2024 is Europe's time, but not if there isn't a compelling European bid out there. It's really irritating to hear you talk like it's a given that 1 or more of Rome/Paris/Berlin will bid. Again, if 1 of those cities is in the running, they stand a good chance of winning. It is not a given though, no matter how much you want to tell us it is.

I meant new frontiers in the sense it was a country they never been before to. Not in the new continents/area context. Probably someone with a better english than me would have found a better term.

I want to reiterate that I'm speaking only about SOG.

I know that each race has it's own dynamics and history, and of course no one is denying that Australia, the US and England are wealthy and competent to deliver great games but It's clear to me than IOC prefered to go to new countries or back to english speaking countries rather than old european cities.

I think we can all agree that in recent years, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm had very strong bids in a year that could be won by Europe and they didn't get it. And to an extent you could add Moscow and Berlin to that list.

So maybe it was just coincidences or that the IOC went to most countries it could go before giving another try to some cities but I'not convinced Rome, Paris or Berlin's name is going to be in an envelloppe anytime soon.

I meant new frontiers in the sense it was a country they never been before to. Not in the new continents/area context. Probably someone with a better english than me would have found a better term.

I want to reiterate that I'm speaking only about SOG.

I know that each race has it's own dynamics and history, and of course no one is denying that Australia, the US and England are wealthy and competent to deliver great games but It's clear to me than IOC prefered to go to new countries or back to english speaking countries rather than old european cities.

I think we can all agree that in recent years, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Stockholm had very strong bids in a year that could be won by Europe and they didn't get it. And to an extent you could add Moscow and Berlin to that list.

So maybe it was just coincidences or that the IOC went to most countries it could go before giving another try to some cities but I'not convinced Rome, Paris or Berlin's name is going to be in an envelloppe anytime soon.

Again, look at the circumstances of those cities you mentioned. Rome and Stockholm lost going up against Athens, a sentimental favorite after they lost the `96 vote. Paris lost a rigged `92 vote, the `08 vote against Beijing, and came up a few votes short of beating out London for 2012. Madrid (which first bid a mere 20 years after Barcelona) goes at it 3 times losing the loaded 2012 vote, the 2016 vote against Rio, and by the time the 2020 vote comes around, the Spanish economy isn't in such great shape. So all 4 of those cities lost to another European city. And 1 of them (Madrid) also lost to a repeat host, but there are reasons behind that decision.

You said it's clear to you the IOC prefers new countries and English speaking countries, except that you just gave us 2 examples in the last 5 Summer Olympics that go against that. I understand what you're trying to point out, but just because it has happened this way before does not mean it will happen that way again. So be careful where you're trying to use history to try and predict the future. To imply that the IOC wouldn't choose Rome, Paris, or Berlin for those reasons is a fairly weak argument, IMO.

I've felt that Australia with a relatively modest sized population has been very lucky to host twice in half a century and part of the attraction is due to it being an English speaking country. Obviously the geographic location, organizational ability and sports success play a role as well, but I have a feeling that especially Sydney 2000 would not have happened, not so soon and right after Atlanta, if it was a culturally more alien nation with all other aspects like economy etc.remaining more or less equal.

Archived