Argentina Considers Olympic Games Bid

GBModerator

Summer Olympics and Paralympics:

Next European City Hosting: Rome, Italy in 2024.

Next African City Hosting: Durban, South Africa in 2028.

Next Asian City Hosting after Tokyo 2020: Shanghai, China in 2044.

Next North American City Hosting: New York City, United States Of America 2036.

Next Oceania City Hosting: Melbourne, Australia 2052.

Next South American City Hosting: Santiago, Chile 2060.

Winter Olympics and Paralympics:

Next European City Hosting: Stockholm, Sweden 2026. (I did say Denver, United States Of America for 2026, but that was before Oslo, Norway withdrew from 2022).

Next Asian City Hosting: Beijing, China 2022.

Next North American City Hosting: Denver, United States Of America 2030.

These are just Predictions. I think it will be Best for everyone if it worked out this way. I don't want People having a go at Me, I like Predicting things.

Sorry, it is best for everyone if -

2022 Almaty (WOPG)

2024 Boston (SOPG)

2026 Oslo (WOPG)

2028 Shanghai (SOPG)

2030 Lake Placid (WOPG)

2032 Johannesburg (SOPG)

2034 Almaty (WOPG)

2036 St Petersburg (SOPG)

2038 Harbin (WOPG)

2040 Sydney (SOPG)

2042 Annecy (WOPG)

2044 London (SOPG)

2046 Patagonia (WOPG)

2048 Atlanta (SOPG)

2050 Stockholm (WOPG)

2052 Nairobi (SOPG)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asia

Europe

Europe

Africa

North America

Europe

Europe

North America

Europe

Europe

~~~~~~~~~~

Final Count-

Asia: 1 (10%)

Africa: 1 (10%)

North America: 2 (20%)

Europe: 6 (60%)

Asia+Africa+North America= 3 < Europe= 6

~~~~~~~~~~

SOG-

Africa: 1 (20%)

North America: 1 (20%)

Europe: 3 (60%)

Africa+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

OWG-

Asia: 1 (20%)

North America: 1 (20%)

Europe: 3 (60%)

Asia+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

Again, it really looks like you are relying a bit too much on geopolitics just to satisfy yourself. If you are going to predict, at least provide some solid proof. Simply saying "the IOC won't leave Europe for x times" is not enough, as recent events/history has proven, the IOC sometimes will. The situation for each cycle/year differs so you need to hold back on c&p your list. If you do feel the need, why don't you just start a thread where you can release your anxiety (I think?) and begin spamming sharing/updating with us your new thoughts and/or predictions. maybe some of us will play along collaborate with our own "predictions". I'm sure GCL would love that, eh?

Well, at least one of either Rome, Berlin or Paris will most probably Bid for 2024, at least one of them will.

Rome/Berlin/Paris VS Los Angeles = Rome/Berlin/Paris Hosting, depending on which are in the race.

Rome/Berlin/Paris VS Durban = Rome/Berlin/Paris Hosting, depending on which are in the race.

Geopolitics plays a big part in Bidding. Europe's Time to Host in 2024.

If he was relying on *real* Geopolitics within the IOC then the US would at least have 2024 or 2028.

I think Tony fails to see the difference between a wish list and a legitimate prediction list.

Legitimate = Europe 2024. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics and Paralympics in a row outside of Europe.

America has Hosted it's fair share of Olympics, they can wait until 2036 and allow a European City and Durban Host.

Legitimate = Europe 2024. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics and Paralympics in a row outside of Europe.

America has Hosted it's fair share of Olympics, they can wait until 2036 and allow a European City and Durban Host.

Would they ever have 3 straight Olympics and Paralympics in Asia? Because that's about to happen. Again, if 1 or more of the cities you mention bid, there's a good chance 1 of them will win. But it's far from a done deal. You saying 'fact' or 'end of' or 'whether you like it or not' does not make it true. And even if Europe does get 2024, you expect them to get 3 of the next 5 available Summer Olympics? In addition to 3 of the next 4 Winter Olympics after 2022? Do you honestly believe the IOC will go to Europe that many times over at a time where European cities are literally dropping out of Olympic bidding left and right?

What if Europe does not bid for 2024? Hmm?

And who the hell are you to tell the US to wait till 2036 just so Europe can host five times and the IOC can take a gamble with Durban?

Well, at least one of either Rome, Berlin or Paris will most probably Bid for 2024, at least one of them will.

Rome/Berlin/Paris VS Los Angeles = Rome/Berlin/Paris Hosting, depending on which are in the race.

Rome/Berlin/Paris VS Durban = Rome/Berlin/Paris Hosting, depending on which are in the race.

Geopolitics plays a big part in Bidding. Europe's Time to Host in 2024.

It's still Europe/Europe/Europe VS North America tho

• 2 months later...

haha yeah, peruvian and chilean cities hosting SOG before Argentina :rolleyes:

I will only say this about the topic: Yes, we are in the bad times now, but we'll come back soon. Our main problems (hedge funds, inflation) can be solved easily, it only takes a competent person in office. Meanwhile these small countries of Peru, Colombia, Chile, etc can rejoice at our circunstantial misfortunes. Deep inside they know who is the second giant of South America.

Santiago is the most advanced major capital in South America and would be large enough to host as a city but might be too unknown internationally and Chile as a country may be too small for SOG. Santiago would be probably the most suitable candidate as the first southern hemisphere winter host, if that possibility will be seriously considered some time in the future.

I do agree that despite their progress Peruvian or Colombian cities are still very far behind Buenos Aires which will be with 80-90 percent probability the next Summer Games host in South America. I once read an article about Buenos Aires's olympic aspirations, now I'm not sure if it is this one (in Spanish): http://www.efdeportes.com/efd7/tag7.htm Basically it states that the olympic hosting has been almost an obsession for the Argentinian NOC since the beginning of the modern olympic movement with Buenos Aires bidding on several occasions during the 20th century. It has been said that for example Argentina is the only country among the original 12 founding members that never served as a host. For the IOC the biggest obstacle has always been the economic and political instability which was again proved to be valid after the 2004 bid race when Argentina collapsed a few years after the vote had taken place. For the 2004 Games there were plans of creating an Olympic corridor http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H2Kf5A0Tg9A/TOHU-OgAo4I/AAAAAAAAAUU/bD6T-MJ1mOQ/s1600/escanear0001.jpg along the Río de la Plata estuary.

An interesting claim in the aforementioned article is that the IOC would be very unwilling to award the Games outside of Europe or North America and especially to a southern hemisphere country, which had happened only twice by then (written in 1997), both times to an English speaking Australia, and picking a Spanish speaking host, which also had happened only twice. Again, this was written in 1997, so with Rio and possibly South Africa hosting plus Asia doing it three times in a row the times might be changing.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see a bid from Argentina standing a chance, especially so soon after Buenos Aires 2018 Summer Youth Olympics, plus Rio 2016.

Dude, if we do bid (which I don't think despite what this bs article says), it for sure won't be before 2028 or so.

I do agree that despite their progress Peruvian or Colombian cities are still very far behind Buenos Aires which will be with 80-90 percent probability the next Summer Games host in South America. I once read an article about Buenos Aires's olympic aspirations, now I'm not sure if it is this one (in Spanish): http://www.efdeportes.com/efd7/tag7.htm Basically it states that the olympic hosting has been almost an obsession for the Argentinian NOC since the beginning of the modern olympic movement with Buenos Aires bidding on several occasions during the 20th century. It has been said that for example Argentina is the only country among the original 12 founding members that never served as a host. For the IOC the biggest obstacle has always been the economic and political instability which was again proved to be valid after the 2004 bid race when Argentina collapsed a few years after the vote had taken place. For the 2004 Games there were plans of creating an Olympic corridor http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H2Kf5A0Tg9A/TOHU-OgAo4I/AAAAAAAAAUU/bD6T-MJ1mOQ/s1600/escanear0001.jpg along the Río de la Plata estuary.

Now I'm sure you are at the very least southamerican, not even I would be able to find such article :P bulding all the venues in the Costanera and Reserva Ecologica seemed like an interesting idea, but I prefer the 2018 YOG plan to build them in the southern neighbourhoods.

Of course after Tokyo the games will first go to at least to Europe and North America and probably to Africa if there is a suitable candidate, so it will take most likely a minimum of 20 years after Rio before a possible return to South America.

I still wouldn't rule out Santiago hosting before Buenos Aires. Santiago could host the 2nd Summer Olympics in South America after Rio 2016, but no earlier then 2032 or 2036.

Buenos Aires could DEFINITELY host before Santiago. Heck, they almost had it in the bag in 1956 and even got shortlisted for 2004. Argentina has its share of international events, critical mass and a number of suitable venues, despite the bad news from the economic front that plague the country for a long time.

Even Lima could host before BA, who am I to claim otherwise as I can't see into future, but I see it quite unlikely. Although Santiago as a city would be capable of hosting, you still have to remember that Argentina and Buenos Aires are about three times bigger than Chile and Santiago respectively. One needs to take into account the critical mass, requirements and needs for venues that may extend beyond the city's borders to the nation as a whole. Also international recognition and image play their part and Bs As is still South America's primary visiting card, perhaps along with Rio. Meanwhile Santiago, although more modern, has a provincial feeling to it and even the slight disadvantage with the weather.

Santiago would make a great South American Winter Olympic option if the calander issue could ever be sorted out.

I agree with that, it's probably the place that would make most sense in the whole southern hemisphere for WOG.

I don't think any of us will see second Summer Olympic Games in South America in our lifetime (this counts Tony's teen's age), so why bother?

And to burn a bit more this thread, I think (not because I'm Brazilian) that the second Summer Olympics Games in South America can* be Brazil again.

(can is a different word than "must" or "will")

Santiago is the most advanced major capital in South America

Don't forget Brazil have non-capital cities that could host easily Olympic Games with comparable infra-structure... Curitiba, São Paulo and even Brasilia (despite the mess some politician made with its finances in the last government).........

I don't think any of us will see second Summer Olympic Games in South America in our lifetime (this counts Tony's teen's age), so why bother?

And to burn a bit more this thread, I think (not because I'm Brazilian) that the second Summer Olympics Games in South America can* be Brazil again.

(can is a different word than "must" or "will")

Don't forget Brazil have non-capital cities that could host easily Olympic Games with comparable infra-structure... Curitiba, São Paulo and even Brasilia (despite the mess some politician made with its finances in the last government).........

You never know. It is possible that Brazil will also host the 2nd Summer Olympics in South America, but I think Chile or Argentina has more chance of hosting the 2nd one, because of Rio 2016. I still see Santiago as a more possible choice then Buenos Aires. Lima will have to wait a very long time.

You never know. It is possible that Brazil will also host the 2nd Summer Olympics in South America, but I think Chile or Argentina has more chance of hosting the 2nd one, because of Rio 2016. I still see Santiago as a more possible choice then Buenos Aires. Lima will have to wait a very long time.

How many games Australia hosted before other country in the entire Southern Hemisphere could have a chance?

Olympic bids have nothing to do with rotating countries or cities, right London?

How many games Australia hosted before other country in the entire Southern Hemisphere could have a chance?

Olympic bids have nothing to do with rotating countries or cities, right London?

Yeah but not being biased, but London, one of the World's biggest Cities, last hosted in 1948 before 2012. So, it was our time.

There isn't any rule saying that Brazil has to wait for another South American country hosting the Games before being able to repeat it, so Rio, Brasília or some other city could have them but I don't like to make accurate predictions several decades into the future. Even for Brazil only 15 or 20 years ago it would have looked very unlikely that the country should be awarded not only Olympic Games but also the World Cup and only two years between them.

*Could have them if the stars align right.

I don't think any of us will see second Summer Olympic Games in South America in our lifetime (this counts Tony's teen's age), so why bother?.....

I think that's a hugely pessimistic point of view. I'll be 31 for Rio 2016. No South American Games in the next 40-50 years after that? Possible, but my hunch would be that Argentina or Brazil again would host in that time.

Yeah but not being biased, but London, one of the World's biggest Cities, last hosted in 1948 before 2012. So, it was our time.

So, in 60 years can be our time again... *rolleyes*

About being the biggest cities of the World, this have nothing to do with bidding to OGs right New York?

Each bid race have its own dynamics.

Maybe the next South American host can be Caracas or La Paz. Who knows how the world will be in 30, 40 years?

If you asked any Olympic expert 30 years ago if Brazil could host the Olympic Games someday, the answer would be: NEVER or probably Argentina would host before Brazil.

This is just empty futurology.

And be sure IOC members will visit all the new frontiers left before coming back to exotic and festive South America.

There isn't any rule saying that Brazil has to wait for another South American country hosting the Games before being able to repeat it, so Rio, Brasília or some other city could have them but I don't like to make accurate predictions several decades into the future. Even for Brazil only 15 or 20 years ago it would have looked very unlikely that the country should be awarded not only Olympic Games but also the World Cup and only two years between them.

*Could have them if the stars align right.

That's it!

Archived