Argentina Considers Olympic Games Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time Argentina was bidding their economy collapsed a few years later and the country would still need more economic stability and better international relations. The 2018 YOG will be an interesting test for Buenos Aires and they way Rio fares will also play a role. As for the winter games, the way 2022 is going it would have been a good opportunity to push for more radical ideas like southern hemisphere winter edition but I guess it is yet too early for that. Overall I see summer games in Buenos Aires still more probable than winter games in Patagonia. Both are for now quite a long shot though.

^^ And right now they seem to be on their way to economy collapse once more, due to the vulture fund scandal and the huge unpopularity of Cristina Kirchner, which makes me think this new olympic fantasy they're having won't last long. The YOG are one thing because they don't have to build new venue, but the SOG are a much more different thing.

Also, depending of how Rio 2016 turns out, it could either increase or decrease the chances for another south american bid in the feasible future.

The best finish by Argentina in a Winter Olympics was a 4th and 5th place finish during the 1928 4 man-bobsled.

Not including Bobsled they never had a top 10 finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina_at_the_1928_Winter_Olympics

Their Men's hockey team. They lost to Mexcio 18-0.

Can you manage if Argentina men's hockey played against Canada's Olympic Team.

A Canadian team (not even close to an Olympic Team) beat Argentina 18-0, in the Pan American Ice Hockey Tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Pan_American_Ice_Hockey_Tournament

There is only 1 possible place which could host an WOPG in Latin America and that is Santiago Chile an major city close by to ski resorts, Argentina is like the loses of the Americas now bankrupted not very well liked the 2018 Youth Games will be the best they will go and I don't think they will get support from the Western World now Top Gear had to flee Argentina. The most liked person from Argentina right now is Pope Francis who beat an Canadian and an Italian to be the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church.

This is not going to happen.

The next Olympics in South America after Rio 2016 will be in Santiago, Chile, with the Summer Olympics and Paralympics, maybe in the 2040's.

This is not going to happen.

The next Olympics in South America after Rio 2016 will be in Santiago, Chile, with the Summer Olympics and Paralympics, maybe in the 2040's.

Santiago Chile will likely to host the Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games the 1st in Latin America and Lima Peru the next likely host of the 3rd Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Latin America.

Santiago Chile will likely to host the Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games the 1st in Latin America and Lima Peru the next likely host of the 3rd Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Latin America.

I agree with you, Santiago would probably host the WOGs, while Lima and maybe Bogota would host the SOGs.

We're talking about Summer Games bids at least 16-20 years from Rio, I guess, not to mention if these would be successful or not. The current economic crisis is hardly relevant if you look at such a timeframe. Of course BA could host the Olympics at some point in time, Rio just got in their first and will postpone further South American (successful) bids for sone time.

As for Winter, as long as the IOC doesn't want them in the Southern hemisphere, it's a moot point. Maybe they'll change their mind though given the 2022 bidding disaster, but some major issues would need to be resolved obviously.

haha yeah, peruvian and chilean cities hosting SOG before Argentina :rolleyes:

I will only say this about the topic: Yes, we are in the bad times now, but we'll come back soon. Our main problems (hedge funds, inflation) can be solved easily, it only takes a competent person in office. Meanwhile these small countries of Peru, Colombia, Chile, etc can rejoice at our circunstantial misfortunes. Deep inside they know who is the second giant of South America.

There is only 1 possible place which could host an WOPG in Latin America and that is Santiago Chile an major city close by to ski resorts, Argentina is like the loses of the Americas now bankrupted not very well liked the 2018 Youth Games will be the best they will go and I don't think they will get support from the Western World now Top Gear had to flee Argentina. The most liked person from Argentina right now is Pope Francis who beat an Canadian and an Italian to be the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church.

WTF are you talking about right now?

haha yeah, peruvian and chilean cities hosting SOG before Argentina :rolleyes:

I will only say this about the topic: Yes, we are in the bad times now, but we'll come back soon. Our main problems (hedge funds, inflation) can be solved easily, it only takes a competent person in office. Meanwhile these small countries of Peru, Colombia, Chile, etc can rejoice at our circunstantial misfortunes. Deep inside they know who is the second giant of South America.

While I am not denying that Argentina is a great country, its down-and-up economic climate is not stable. The sad part is either the economy is really great or really bad, rarely is there a common ground. What if BA gets the games and then Argentina suffers a massive economic downturn? And that seems like a possibility.

If that were to happen, a downscaled version of the games would go on. Everyone would realize you don't need to overspend to have a great games. Argent ion and the Olympics would be better for it.

Whose to say Buenos Aires will not have violent protests? Construction companies and other partners decide to back out?

That's the risk you take in a free country. The other choice is a totalitarian stare.

Pretty much. No matter where you take the games there will always be some protests, whether they be peaceful or violent.

Economic stability will be the main factor of BA getting the SOG. Other than that, it's doable. If the IOC decides to push the SOG more to the timeline of Sydney 2000, then the temperatures won't be too extreme for the games.

As far as the WOG, I honestly never hear about the ski resorts in Argentina. I always hear that the ones in Chile are the preferred choice for athletes to practice on in between competition.

Summer Olympics and Paralympics:

Next European City Hosting: Rome, Italy in 2024.

Next African City Hosting: Durban, South Africa in 2028.

Next Asian City Hosting after Tokyo 2020: Shanghai, China in 2044.

Next North American City Hosting: New York City, United States Of America 2036.

Next Oceania City Hosting: Melbourne, Australia 2052.

Next South American City Hosting: Santiago, Chile 2060.

Winter Olympics and Paralympics:

Next European City Hosting: Stockholm, Sweden 2026. (I did say Denver, United States Of America for 2026, but that was before Oslo, Norway withdrew from 2022).

Next Asian City Hosting: Beijing, China 2022.

Next North American City Hosting: Denver, United States Of America 2030.

These are just Predictions. I think it will be Best for everyone if it worked out this way. I don't want People having a go at Me, I like Predicting things.

Beijing 2022.

Rome 2024.

Stockholm 2026.

Durban 2028.

Denver 2030.

Berlin 2032.

Oslo 2034.

New York City 2036.

Krakow 2038.

Paris 2040.

. I don't want People having a go at Me, I like Predicting things.

Life doesn't work that way. You can make all the predictions you want and nobody will have a go at you.

But when you speak or post those predictions publically, people WILL have a go at you.

Choose! Post and risk being mocked. Or keep your predictions to yourself.

Beijing 2022.

Rome 2024.

Stockholm 2026.

Durban 2028.

Denver 2030.

Berlin 2032.

Oslo 2034.

New York City 2036.

Krakow 2038.

Paris 2040.

Asia

Europe

Europe

Africa

North America

Europe

Europe

North America

Europe

Europe

~~~~~~~~~~

Final Count-

Asia: 1 (10%)

Africa: 1 (10%)

North America: 2 (20%)

Europe: 6 (60%)

Asia+Africa+North America= 3 < Europe= 6

~~~~~~~~~~

SOG-

Africa: 1 (20%)

North America: 1 (20%)

Europe: 3 (60%)

Africa+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

OWG-

Asia: 1 (20%)

Asia+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

Again, it really looks like you are relying a bit too much on geopolitics just to satisfy yourself. If you are going to predict, at least provide some solid proof. Simply saying "the IOC won't leave Europe for x times" is not enough, as recent events/history has proven, the IOC sometimes will. The situation for each cycle/year differs so you need to hold back on c&p your list. If you do feel the need, why don't you just start a thread where you can release your anxiety (I think?) and begin spamming sharing/updating with us your new thoughts and/or predictions. maybe some of us will play along collaborate with our own "predictions". I'm sure GCL would love that, eh?

Asia

Europe

Europe

Africa

North America

Europe

Europe

North America

Europe

Europe

~~~~~~~~~~

Final Count-

Asia: 1 (10%)

Africa: 1 (10%)

North America: 2 (20%)

Europe: 6 (60%)

Asia+Africa+North America= 3 < Europe= 6

~~~~~~~~~~

SOG-

Africa: 1 (20%)

Africa+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

OWG-

Asia: 1 (20%)

Asia+North America= 2 < Europe= 3

~~~~~~~~~~

Again, it really looks like you are relying a bit too much on geopolitics just to satisfy yourself. If you are going to predict, at least provide some solid proof. Simply saying "the IOC won't leave Europe for x times" is not enough, as recent events/history has proven, the IOC sometimes will. The situation for each cycle/year differs so you need to hold back on c&p your list. If you do feel the need, why don't you just start a thread where you can release your anxiety (I think?) and begin spamming sharing/updating with us your new thoughts and/or predictions. maybe some of us will play along collaborate with our own "predictions". I'm sure GCL would love that, eh?

If he was relying on *real* Geopolitics within the IOC then the US would at least have 2024 or 2028.

I think Tony fails to see the difference between a wish list and a legitimate prediction list.

Well if people making forecast then I will put down mine.

2022 Beijing People's Republic of China

2024 Los Angeles United States of America

2026 Reno - Lake Tahoe United States of America

2028 Berlin Germany

2030 Calgary Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2034 Barcelona Spain

2036 Toronto Canada

2038 Sapporo Japan

2040 Perth Australia

2042 Munich Germany

2044 Cape Town South Africa

2028 Berlin Germany

2030 Calgary Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2034 Barcelona Spain

2036 Toronto Canada

2038 Sapporo Japan

2040 Perth Australia

2042 Munich Germany

Is this for OPGs or OGs?

2028 Berlin Germany

2030 Calgary Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2034 Barcelona Spain

2036 Toronto Canada

2038 Sapporo Japan

2040 Perth Australia

2042 Munich Germany

People aren't making forecasts.. 1 person made a forecast. And somehow, some way, congratulations on making an even more illogical list than he did. Seriously.. do you actually believe in any of this beyond 2024 or are you just trolling us? You can't honestly expect us to take you seriously.

Archived