So after LA and Durban...

what are the other world cities left that will realistically bid for and take on a 21st century Summer Olympic Games? (Forget Doha and the UAE.)

There aren't too many fresh ones. So Hamburg? Melbourne? maybe Shanghai? I guess, Rome? Can an Indian city ever be taken seriously?

Or will it return to the recycled hosts - Barcelona? Seoul?

I wouldn't bet on either LA or Durban as being shoe-ins. Whoever hosts the next few cycles, what the IOC needs more than anything is a series of reasonable Games - Games that don't threaten the financial security of the hosts and that come off as net positives for the hosts. Smaller. More manageable. Use of existing infrastructure. Financially conservative. Environmentally reasonable. If the IOC continues to only go with mega-spectacles, their brand will be ruined in the West.

I wouldn't bet on either LA or Durban as being shoe-ins. Whoever hosts the next few cycles, what the IOC needs more than anything is a series of reasonable Games - Games that don't threaten the financial security of the hosts and that come off as net positives for the hosts. Smaller. More manageable. Use of existing infrastructure. Financially conservative. Environmentally reasonable. If the IOC continues to only go with mega-spectacles, their brand will be ruined in the West.

:blink::blink: ???

I could see South Korea hosting another summer games soon in either Busan or Seoul, China will get the winter games in Harbin 1st before another Summer Games in GaungZhou or Shanghai. Japan next host Winter Games Sapporo and after Tokyo maybe Osaka for Summer Games.

The Rest of Asia I could see Bangkok Thailand, Tel Aviv Israel, Taipei Taiwan and Jakarta Indonesia very likely to get the summer games and Almaty Kazakhstan in 2022 for the winter games.

Cape Town South Africa will host the 1st Summer Games in Africa the only city in Africa which could put on an OPG, South America Lima Peru and Buenos Aries Argentina for the Summer Games and Santiago Chile for Winter Games with Brazil I could see Brasilia hosting or Rio de Janeiro again.

Oceania Christchurch - Queenstown New Zealand for the Winter Games and Perth will host the next summer games in Australia and after they host go back to Sydney or Melbourne for the next.

North America only two places can host the winter games in Canada Vancouver and Calgary Eastern Canada may host if the IOC allows joint countries bids and have Montreal Canada and Lake Placid USA bid. Canada for the summer games Toronto next host and maybe go to Vancouver after that. USA Winter Salt Lake City likely to host again, Denver, Reno - Lake Tahoe and Anchorage. Summer USA Games Los Angeles likely to host again and go to New York City, Miami, Houston and Chicago.

The Rest of North America Mexico Summer only maybe an return to Mexico City or go to Monterrey and maybe Santo Domingo Dominican Republic.

Europe Summer Rome Italy, Paris France, Berlin Germany, Moscow Russia, Athens Greece and Amsterdam the Netherlands likely to host again. New likely host summer games Madrid Spain, Kiev Ukraine, Manchester UK, Vienna Austria, Kazan Russia and Baku Azerbaijan.

Europe Winter Oslo Norway, Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovina, Grenoble France and Turin Italy likely to host again. New host Barcelona Spain, Sofia Bulgaria, Nice France, Munich Germany, Milan Italy a new host city in Switzerland and Austria.

I think the summer games should return to Korea. Seoul has really evolved since 1988 and Pyeongchang will really help show that and may influence a sort of national pride that will push a bid out in the future.

If we want something really new, maybe another Scandinavian summer games? We haven't seen that since the 50's but it could be really cool.

The Canadians should really get another chance to host a not awful summer games too...

Maybe Barcelona will host if Catalonia becomes it's own country (I have no idea what's going on there politically but it looks like people want it).

Finally I think a New York games or any profitable USA host should come around sometime soon (Boston 2024 turn up). I mean after people saw the profit of LA '84 cities from around the world jumped on the opportunity to bid (you know, except for 1988 but whatever). You went from literally one bid in 1984 to six in 1992. Maybe they could have the same effect.

Maybe there's some sort of equation of when cities start to host again after one city messes up. Not so good games + 16 years = Pretty good games.

What the hell are you talking about? There was nothing awful about the actual Montreal Games, just the expenses that they incurred.

Well, I think Atlanta's so-called 'flaws' were not quite as GIGANTIC as Montreal's:

- unfinished main stadium

- the African nations' boycott. (At least the Atlantans only got a few athletes and members of the press lost for a few hours -- NOT for the entire Games.) ;)

- a deficit bigger than the Big "O" at Olympic Stadium, shoved down the throats of the Quebecois for 30 years. At least, none of this was imposed on the Georgians.

- flame at O Stadium went out and relit with a Bic lighter, etc. At least Atlanta's flame burned in the Big Mac cauldron with the right chicken fat!!! LOL!!

Well, I think Atlanta's so-called 'flaws' were not quite as GIGANTIC as Montreal's:

- unfinished main stadium

- the African nations' boycott. (At least the Atlantans only got a few athletes and members of the press lost for a few hours -- NOT for the entire Games.) ;)

- a deficit bigger than the Big "O" at Olympic Stadium, shoved down the throats of the Quebecois for 30 years. At least, none of this was imposed on the Georgians.

- flame at O Stadium went out and relit with a Bic lighter, etc. At least Atlanta's flame burned in the Big Mac cauldron with the right chicken fat!!! LOL!!

At least no was killed in a terror attack and athletes got to their events on time. Edited by ofan
  • Like 1

I'd take having a few athletes late over paying for a debt for 30 years ANY TIME!!

Those athletes can go f*ck themselves in my book. ;)

I see what you did there. Because when you said 'in my book', you probably meant that literally. Since you actually have a book!

I hope you didn't actually say that in your book, though. Although if you did, I'd probably be more interested in reading it.

• Like 1

I'd take having a few athletes late over paying for a debt for 30 years ANY TIME!!

Those athletes can go f*ck themselves in my book. ;)

How Olympic of you.

"You trained your whole life for this moment, but you're going to have to sit in gridlock and watch the moment pass you by because the Atlanta organizers couldn't be bothered to develop reliable means of getting you to your competition on time."

There is NO excuse for that. I don't care if it's only one athlete. Rather than telling those victims of Atlanta's lackluster disorganization to "f*ck themselves," I think that perhaps you ought to contemplate following your own advice. But then something tells me that you're the sort of man who ..,,, ah well, never mind.

What the hell are you talking about? There was nothing awful about the actual Montreal Games, just the expenses that they incurred.

......id say the unfinished stadium was monumentally awful among other things like a 30 year debt and the fear that Montreal's vast disorganization cause on the entire global Olympic community who then became fearful of how bad an Olympics can be for the host. everything about those games is in the shadows of their missteps and masterful ****-ups.

......id say the unfinished stadium was monumentally awful among other things like a 30 year debt and the fear that Montreal's vast disorganization cause on the entire global Olympic community who then became fearful of how bad an Olympics can be for the host. everything about those games is in the shadows of their missteps and masterful ****-ups.

He already noted the expenses, but the other stuff was still pretty embarrassing.

I can't believe antigen is discussing Korea. We're about to have three Asian Games in a row. Asia is going to be on hold for a good long while after 2022.

Who's to say this isn't the new norm? Nobody blinks an eye at three games in the West in a row. Maybe we enter an era where most games are in the East, and the West gets only the 8's.

Lot of people and money in the East. Many growing markets the sponsors would love to reach. If counties there are willing to kiss up to IOC, and the West not so much....

Who's to say this isn't the new norm? Nobody blinks an eye at three games in the West in a row. Maybe we enter an era where most games are in the East, and the West gets only the 8's.

Lot of people and money in the East. Many growing markets the sponsors would love to reach. If counties there are willing to kiss up to IOC, and the West not so much....

There are only so many nations in Asia though. If Beijing gets 2022, that's the 3 most prominent nations in Asia which will all have hosted in a short period of time. Where do they go from there?

The Olympics aren't going to Asia 3 straight times because that's where the IOC wants them. It's a lack of option. Yes, part of that is because they have money they're willing to spend, and who knows if nations in the West will show more interest in the Olympics going forward. But they can only go East so many times before they have to start recycling hosts and that's going to make it tough for it to become the norm.

By 2022 those three East Asian countries will probably have hosted six times in total, within 35 years, each a summer and a winter edition. Japan would have 4 hostings in total, not too bad, is it? I think it goes to show how the IOC has in the recent times felt the need, justifiably so, to spread the games to all parts of the globe relatively equally, IF there are viable hosts. I could see China hosting another summer games in the near future considering their size and economic rise, but other than that it will be difficult to go to the same region over and over again if the potential hosts are so few. Vietnam could be an option some day, like India, but that will take decades.

like India, but that will take decades.

If India were a strong sporting nation (like a Brazil or Germany), and they had a major city in a hospitable clime, those factors might mitigate the shambles they had of CWG 2010. But India just seems to put forward Delhi and nothing else. Aside from Field hockey, cricket and Bolly dance, what else is India good at, Olympic sportswise??