Tokyo/Hiroshima 1992?

I've read a few posts saying Tokyo was interested in bidding for ghe 1992 Olympics? Hiroshima was too? I've never heard of Hiroshima being interested, but I have heard about Tokyo's intentions. Did the Japanese want to try again after Nagoya failed to secure 1988?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that happened, but if you look at the Japanese economy at the time you can see why there is next to no evidence of a bid. An asset bubble (housing and stocks) burst while the government attempted to keep inflation under control and while bailing out failed banks that had ties to the government. It began in 1991, so I can see why they would have stopped anything to deal with bidding up until the end of this economic slump which ended in around 2010, giving Tokyo to come back in 2011 to bid for 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was something that happened, but if you look at the Japanese economy at the time you can see why there is next to no evidence of a bid. An asset bubble (housing and stocks) burst while the government attempted to keep inflation under control and while bailing out failed banks that had ties to the government. It began in 1991, so I can see why they would have stopped anything to deal with bidding up until the end of this economic slump which ended in around 2010, giving Tokyo to come back in 2011 to bid for 2020.

Uhm, the 92 bid was decided long before 91. However, in 91 Nagano was awarded 1998.

More likely any 92 plans were put away because they thought right after Seoul, it wouldn't make sense and decided to focus in Winter Games instead.

• 4 weeks later...

If Japan was to bid and a domestic bid took place between Hiroshima and Tokyo, then Tokyo obviously would've been selected. I also remember a few japanese bids that were never finalised, I remember:

Yokohama 2008, great proposal, very wide venue plan though.

Nagoya 1988, I managed to view the Bid Book set along with Seoul's through a friend. In my opinion Seoul would've still won.

Nagoya 2016, Not much detail or enthusiasm about the bid

Sapporo 2016, Same thing like Nagoya

Fukuoka 2016, Interesting bid in my opinion, they should have been Japan's 2016 candidate, I mean the IOC has seen enough of Tokyo already, Fukuoka would've been a great choice.

Hiroshima-Nagasaki 2020, strange proposal, was going to go up against Tokyo to become Japan's candidate, but was never finalised.

Hiroshima-Manila 2020, the mayor of Manila wanted a joint bid between Manila and Hiroshima for the 2020 Games, it was slightly interesting and no news of the bid came back.