2022 the decision.

Scotguy

Decision 2022  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to host the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games

I'm torn on this one because like most, I don't want to see either of these cities/countries host 2022. But given a choice.. my fear with Almaty is that it'll be like Sochi, a locale we'll talk about in the lead-up and that the rest of the world will forget the moment the Olympics are gone. Beijing may be anything but a winter sports mecca, but at least there's no fear of that happening with them. Not the way we'd want to see the first Winter/Summer host, but so be it at this point.

I just can't get on board with Beijing being the first city to host both the Summer & Winter Olympics. Kazakhstan might be the most improbable country to ever host an Olympic Games if Almaty wins but I'd rather they get it than Beijing.

It's a shame that Munich wasn't interested this go-round. They'd be a much more obvious and deserving choice for the honor of being the first city to host both the Summer & Winter versions of the Olympics and it would have been especially poignant coming 50 years apart.

I'm pulling for Almaty for 2 reasons:

1. To see Tony's head explode (assuming we haven't made him leave GB by then)

2. China is been there done that. I'm confident Almaty can deliver.

See, & I'm pulling for Beijing just to see GCL's head explode.

And even with a "been there, done that" mentality in regards to Beijing, I still find it to be a much more appealing (& safer) option than the alternative.

And considering that these would be WINTER Games, I'm sure the Chinese would make every effort to at least differentiate the theme of the Games. The mountain setting alone in Zhangjiakou would be a good start.

See, & I'm pulling for Beijing just to see GCL's head explode.

Considering the level of debate pointless shouting that is going on nearly a year out from the vote, I can only imagine what it'll be like when it gets closer to next July. Especially that there's only 2 candidates, I can only imagine how polarizing this one will be here when it comes down to it. I nominate Tony and GCL as the captains of their respective camps!

Oh, one other, very positive reason, why I'd like Almaty to win is to see the NBC heads explode. Just imagine the poor schmucks who draw the short straw and have to spend a year or so in Kazakhstan of all places doing all the terrible fluff pieces and prepping for the Winter Olympics. It makes my little, black heart sing, lol.

Beijing will win. I just can't see the IOC risking Almaty. Both are duds. I don't care.

Rob must be bummed as this ensures that these boards are not going to have any real fodder for discussion and are quite likely to totally degenerate into nothing but pointless, petty quarrels. I can't see anyone taking great interest in the hallowed Bid Index either.

Com'on guys let's go for another spectacular blow out in Beijing and wherever the hell they say the alpine stuff will be......anyway there's some hills there right?........so slap down a bullet train and lets hightail it to some crazy downhill and a fancy 1/4 billion dollar bob sleigh track among the foothills.........that'll teach those prudes in Oslo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It will be a joke again this WoG... IOC should stop the process and back in Vancouver, Salt Lake, Turin or even Sotchi to save the futur of WoG...

Or start a new process with the new rules : We could imagine Stockolm-Are, Oslo-Lillehammer, Geneva-Chamonix, Geneva-Annecy, poland/slovenia, Austria/Germany, France/Spain...

If you can share venues with another cities/countries you could have many possibilities in Europe for 2022.

IOC humiliated medium size cities in Europe since 15 years, and now they have no serious bid, from Europe. Remember Sion 2006, Salzbourg 2010, Innsbruck 2014, Annecy 2018. All this cities could be a great host but IOC spit on them.

And now Beijing for WoG ? seriously ? :rolleyes:

What's the next ? Doha 2026 ? Dubaï 2026 ?... IOC/FIFA same fight.

Archived