IOC Loses Another Candidate as Oslo's 2022 bid is Crushed

GBModerator

I still think they should also hand back the 2016 YOG now, given how the IOC reacted.

That would be real embarrassment for the IOC, but fully deserved.

I see where you're coming from, but ethically I have a problem with that. If you say you're going to do something, you ought to keep your word. Period.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see where you're coming from, but ethically I have a problem with that. If you say you're going to do something, you ought to keep your word. Period.

I don't know how the public opinion is towards the YOG, but I could imagine a point where there's inner-Norwegian pressure to withdraw.

I don't know how the public opinion is towards the YOG, but I could imagine a point where there's inner-Norwegian pressure to withdraw.

Perhaps, but that doesn't change the morality of the situation. Unless the IOC breaches the terms of the contract in a major way, Norway has no viable excuse to withdraw. I would think a lot less of them if they did.

Another article:

"Will Norway’s refusal to meet the eye-watering demands of the IOC be the moment the world realises only dictators can host Olympics?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/will-norways-refusal-to-meet-the-eyewatering-demands-of-the-ioc-be-the-moment-the-world-realises-only-dictators-can-host-olympics-9774204.html

from the article......"It is an unedifying spectacle, that clique of sporting VIPs who bestride the earth as a traveling city state, like the spacecraft from Independence Day, selecting its next target and then zapping it with ever more costly infrastructure before moving on to the next, leaving the host scratching its head as to what it ever thought it might do with an Olympic luge run."

:lol: so true

The funny thing about these requests is that I can see Bach probably insisting on them. I can easily see that little twat bitching if he doesn't get a seasonal cake in his room. After all, this guy is the Olympic Champion in Fencing, 1976. He should get what he fucking wants.

Lol, yeah, he didn't even compete in the individual foil event either. I'd like to know how important his role was on the team.

He was the little bitch that demanded they get special treatment. You always keep one of those around in cases like that, they can always be very helpful.

It's also a pathetic suggestion because Norway were perfectly happy to deal with the IOC when bidding for those Games and I'm sure they were happy when awarded them. I'm sure there are probably silly demands in the YOG contracts too if they're based on the real Games and if IOC members are that self-important, but Norway didn't complain then did they?

There's been a lot of politicking on both sides over Oslo 2022. The IOC is by no means perfect and some of the things on the list of demands show them to be entitled SOBs, but Norway has dealt with the IOC before and gone along with their processes. How much moral indignation can they really offer? The Norwegian government's approach has, for the last year, felt like they've been trying to work themsevles a get-out clause for not supporting the bid, and the IOC offered them one on a plate, gift-wrapped, postage paid. The IOC needs to be less open to this kind of politicking in future because it was a huge own goal on their part.

I read one of the best lines in quite a while, in an article I read yesterday:

"So China or Kazakhstan it is, the last two 'suckers' on earth willing to step up this carnival barker. One lucky nation will win. The other will host the 2022 Winter Olympics".

Lmfao

I came across that same article myself today. For those who want to read the whole thing..

Why no one wants to host the 2022 Olympics

Archived