IOC Loses Another Candidate as Oslo's 2022 bid is Crushed

GBModerator

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uuggghhhh, another city drops out. Looks like Sochi made the Olympics look like its very expensive to host. I hope Almaty gets it. 3 games in a row in Asia. No Asian city has any hopes of winning 2024 or 2026. We won't see an Olympics in Asia for a long time.

Hopefully :). I'm making this promise to myself now: if Paris gets 2024, I'm going. As a french-speaker, it'd be the perfect experience for a first Olympics.

What I meant was that there's every chance that Paris 2024 goes the same way as Oslo 2022 did......

......i.e.: nowhere!

That's it. I'm boycotting the 2016 Lillehammer winter kiddie games in retaliation. Oh yeah, I don't watch them to begin with. Seriously, I'm past the point of caring who hosts in 2022. I've got 2016, 2018, and 2020 to enjoy first. 2020 will mark 40 years of following the Olympics for me and maybe then it will be time to find a new interest,

Uuggghhhh, another city drops out. Looks like Sochi made the Olympics look like its very expensive to host. I hope Almaty gets it. 3 games in a row in Asia. No Asian city has any hopes of winning 2024 or 2026. We won't see an Olympics in Asia for a long time.

I think that Almaty has got these Winter Olympics in the bag now. I do not like the idea of Beijing hosting another Games, due to that the 2008 one was just a "prize" for the Chinese Communist Party. How many white elephants are there, from those 2008 Games? The Olympic Games are not the BIE's World's Fair. According to BIE rules, once a World's Fair is done, the area must not leave any trace of what transpired there. In other words, almost everything that was built for the Fair must be destroyed. That, to me, is a big waste of time, energy, space, and money for any city. The IOC better not follow the BIE's ways.

I think that Almaty has got these Winter Olympics in the bag now. I do not like the idea of Beijing hosting another Games, due to that the 2008 one was just a "prize" for the Chinese Communist Party. How many white elephants are there, from those 2008 Games? The Olympic Games are not the BIE's World's Fair. According to BIE rules, once a World's Fair is done, the area must not leave any trace of what transpired there. In other words, almost everything that was built for the Fair must be destroyed. That, to me, is a big waste of time, energy, space, and money for any city. The IOC better not follow the BIE's ways.

And they're NOT going to have 3 consecutive Olympics in the same corner of the earth -- Korea 2018; Tokyo and then that same northeast corner of Asia again for 2022?? Only if the CCP makes like nice to the HKG protestors now!

I have been an Almaty fan since Day 1..... it is definitely in with a chance now! We should have a poll here, it is head-to-head.

This is a sad day for the Olympic Movement when NO European or Nth American city bids for a WOG. No France, Germany, Scandanavia, Austria, Swizz, Balkan, US, Canada ---- NONE. This is close to crisis situation for the IOC. Something's gotta give.

They are both in Asia so... :wacko:

And they're NOT going to have 3 consecutive Olympics in the same corner of the earth -- Korea 2018; Tokyo and then that same northeast corner of Asia again for 2022?? Only if the CCP makes like nice to the HKG protestors now!

Could this really be a factor? I mean if the protest turn into a repeat of Tienanmen Square then I could see the IOC going with Almaty, but until then I think Beijing is bound to host the games.

This has got to be the worst bid race next to the 1984 one. I personally think at this point they should just cut the bull **** and give it to China already.

Doesn't matter. Unless China goes all out in Hong Kong Beijing will host.

A prelude to Paris 2024, methinks......

Oh God I hope not...but yeah you're probably right.

IOC does not give two sh*ts about human rights. Hong Kong protests are a non-issue.

That is why Beijing hosted 2000 right? I understand it is certainly not the same situation, but if the Chinese military continue larger presence in Hong Kong you can bet they will loose attractiveness to the IOC. Still Almaty is not a big challenger like Sydney or Manchester were.

That is why Beijing hosted 2000 right? I understand it is certainly not the same situation, but if the Chinese military continue larger presence in Hong Kong you can bet they will loose attractiveness to the IOC. Still Almaty is not a big challenger like Sydney or Manchester were.

If there was another compelling candidate out there, it might be a different story. That it's Beijing against Almaty, the amount of attractiveness they'd need to lose to fall below Almaty is pretty high.

Are you serious with that argument? Beijing hosted in 2008 anyways. They won overwhelmingly in fact, versus two equally as attractive candidates in Toronto and Paris, despite a very poor human rights record.

And you just answered you're own question. There's no other attractive candidate here, so unfortunately the IOC is forced to look past human rights.

And even with a much more attractive alternate option like Sydney, Beijing lost (& in the last ballot, cuz they were winning all of the previous ones) by a mere two votes. So this is not even a competition now. And Manchester was a non-factor. They barely had a few more votes than Berlin & Istanbul. They just happened to finish third. 2000 was clearly against Beijing & Sydney.

And even with a much more attractive alternate option like Sydney, Beijing lost (& in the last ballot, cuz they were winning all of the previous ones) by a mere two votes. So this is not even a competition now. And Manchester was a non-factor. They barely had a few more votes than Berlin & Istanbul. They just happened to finish third. 2000 was clearly against Beijing & Sydney.

Well of course, but Almaty pales in comparison to both Sydney and Manchester.

Are you serious with that argument? Beijing hosted in 2008 anyways. They won overwhelmingly in fact, versus two equally as attractive candidates in Toronto and Paris, despite a very poor human rights record.

And you just answered you're own question. There's no other attractive candidate here, so unfortunately the IOC is forced to look past human rights.

Yeah you're right, but who knows what could happen by next July. The argument I'm trying to make is that in 1993 Tienanmen Square was still on everyone's mind. By 2001 it seemed as though things were changing. A strong backlash on Hong Kong within the next few months could potentially hurt Beijing's bid and send some people voting for Almaty (though I doubt it will actually happen).

Honestly I'm done with this race. I don't have the spoons for it anymore.

Almaty is in Asia, and in fact quite close to China's western border. Beijing would do a reasonably decent job with the games, and it is essentially inevitable that China will host a winter games at some point.

I think this is really good for people who care about the Olympics. At a bare minimum they need to cut down the number of media people housed (2,000 athletes vs 13,000+ media officials at Sochi!) and work out a schedule so more venues can be shared. Until potential host cities stop offering them bigger and bigger budgets and excess, reform is never going to happen.

Well, it's confirmed. We got another olympics which will be a dictator plaything. And now that China might commit a Tianamen 2.0 at this pace on regards of the current events in Hong Kong, their reputation will be even more tarnished.

Thank you, Rogge and Bach, for killing my interest on an event which until now I had admired. You're not too different from FIFA now. }

Whoever wins, I don't give a damn anymore. The only realistic and sane candidacy is out, even though i knew it would happen but i prayed they would keep going.

Archived