Perth is so isolated from the rest of Australia, it would be like the US hosting the summer games in the capital of Montana.

That would be Helena, BR2028. Population 29,600. Perth happens to have a population of 1.7 million - a tad bigger than Helena and perfectly adequate for hosting the Olympic Games.

Last time I checked, the city still had an international airport, the fourth-busiest of its kind in Australia. Of course, it doesn't quite have the passenger capacity of its Sydney and Melbourne counterparts; however, that doesn't preclude it being upgraded...even though it is already projected to handle 21 million passengers by 2019. So yeah, Perth is just like Helena. ;)

That said, Australia's next candidate will either be Melbourne or Brisbane...given its sporting reputation and name ID, an Olympics bid for a Melbourne Olympics in March/April makes the most sense. However, in terms of climate, Brisbane would be much more amenable to a hosting in the traditional Northern Hemisphere summer months.

Melbourne wouldn't put for the Olympics in March/April. It would be more likely to push forward with a late September/early Oct Games. April would (rightly) be a no go.

March is also problematic from the perspective of it coming on the heels of major events like the Australian Open and Grand Prix (if its still held in Melbourne by the time it potentially hosts the Olympics again). The turnaround from Australian Open to Games mode in 2006 was tight enough, I can't imagine how much harder it would be for an Olympics.

Having the games in March/April is far worse than having it in October/November. That pushes back the normal schedule by months for every country's Olympic trials and/or national championships that helps determine who gets to go to the Olympics. If Melbourne suggested those months and was unwilling to change it, they would be out the first round.

What are the temps in Melbourne in July/August? I thought it was 40 degrees in Australia year round.

What are the temps in Melbourne in July/August? I thought it was 40 degrees in Australia year round.

In the era of Internet and Google this must be one of the most ridiculous postings I have read for a long time here. You do realize that Australia is a continent and at least the southern parts have clearly defined seasons, do you? July and August are clearly not suitable for Summer Games in Melbourne as has been discussed before and even September is debatable. The next week looks like the day time temperatures will be in high teens for Melbourne, in late April.

Assuming we are talking about Celsius here.

oh no not the Australian winters! Hold the games in September because god forbid anyone having to wear a jacket.

• Like 2

In the era of Internet and Google this must be one of the most ridiculous postings I have read for a long time here. You do realize that Australia is a continent and at least the southern parts have clearly defined seasons, do you? July and August are clearly not suitable for Summer Games in Melbourne as has been discussed before and even September is debatable. The next week looks like the day time temperatures will be in high teens for Melbourne, in late April.

Assuming we are talking about Celsius here.

It will was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I still, however, being a Canadian, find it comical that Australians consider the low to mid teens "cold".

oh no not the Australian winters! Hold the games in September because god forbid anyone having to wear a jacket.

What will they do if its 15 degrees? Oh my goodness what a travesty!!!

tumblr_m3y9yvLptY1rv4pd3o1_500.gif

It's not just about the weather for the spectators' enjoyment but it's also about it being comfortable enough for the athletes' performances not to be affected by it. This certainly isn't going to be an issue for the indoor sports, but it will be an issue for outdoor sports such as sailing, open water swimming and triathalon. Sure they can move those events somewhere else like Sydney or even Brisbane, but considering the distance it's inconvenient for both the athletes and the spectators. Agenda 2020 does allow for bids to play around with the distance of the venues from the host city, but if there is another world-renowned city that is willing to offer a bid just as good as Melbourne with all the events held within more reasonable distances from each other, which there will be, then Melbourne's chances just decrease. I still think as far as weather goes Brisbane is Australia's next best chance.

It's not just about the weather for the spectators' enjoyment but it's also about it being comfortable enough for the athletes' performances not to be affected by it. This certainly isn't going to be an issue for the indoor sports, but it will be an issue for outdoor sports such as sailing, open water swimming and triathalon. Sure they can move those events somewhere else like Sydney or even Brisbane, but considering the distance it's inconvenient for both the athletes and the spectators. Agenda 2020 does allow for bids to play around with the distance of the venues from the host city, but if there is another world-renowned city that is willing to offer a bid just as good as Melbourne with all the events held within more reasonable distances from each other, which there will be, then Melbourne's chances just decrease. I still think as far as weather goes Brisbane is Australia's next best chance.

P7Xpji.gif

qhczl5.gif

euCLoI.gif

LqZn20.gif

Because a slight drizzle is gonna stop Usain bolt from winning the gold medal...

Besides the weather would effect everyone equally meaning no ones going to get a clear advantage. And honestly I don't think atheletes who train their entire lives to compete in the olympics, are gonna blame their shortcomings on the cold but rather them just not being up to snuff.

Tbh Melbourne's Sept weather is a shortcoming compared to Brisbane, however I think it's overstated. A well timed Melbourne bid, properly managed, could be a potentially formidable upset.

That would be Helena, BR2028. Population 29,600. Perth happens to have a population of 1.7 million - a tad bigger than Helena and perfectly adequate for hosting the Olympic Games.

Last time I checked, the city still had an international airport, the fourth-busiest of its kind in Australia. Of course, it doesn't quite have the passenger capacity of its Sydney and Melbourne counterparts; however, that doesn't preclude it being upgraded...even though it is already projected to handle 21 million passengers by 2019. So yeah, Perth is just like Helena. ;)

That said, Australia's next candidate will either be Melbourne or Brisbane...given its sporting reputation and name ID, an Olympics bid for a Melbourne Olympics in March/April makes the most sense. However, in terms of climate, Brisbane would be much more amenable to a hosting in the traditional Northern Hemisphere summer months.

I don't care if it's called Zeus or Mars, it's isolated from the rest of the country as is Perth from the rest of Australia. Australia's population is all located on the Eastern Coast and South Eastern Coast.

I don't care if it's called Zeus or Mars, it's isolated from the rest of the country as is Perth from the rest of Australia. Australia's population is all located on the Eastern Coast and South Eastern Coast.

Perth is, however, closer to cities like Kuala Lumpur and Singapore than it is to Sydney or Melbourne - so its has that advantage.

Perth is, however, closer to cities like Kuala Lumpur and Singapore than it is to Sydney or Melbourne - so its has that advantage.

Well, whilst Perth could theoretically host the Olympic Games one day, it's logical to assume that Melbourne (due to its reputation in sports) and Brisbane (due to its amenable climate for peak performances by Olympic athletes) currently have a stronger claim to a new edition of the Summer Olympics in Australia.

Many people around these parts argue that every country should put its best foot forward when bidding: even after excluding Sydney, which has already hosted in 2000, Perth looks (at most) like Australia's third option. I don't even think that the geographic isolation is such a major issue: What is the major issue is that at least two other cities have stronger claims, a number that would climb up to three should Sydney ever feel the itch to host the Summer Olympics once more.

That said, assuming that Australia will, in all likelihood anyway, at most be hosting another two Summer Olympics in our lifetimes, I think we're looking at Perth being a realistic option by the turn of the 22nd century.

I don't care if it's called Zeus or Mars, it's isolated from the rest of the country as is Perth from the rest of Australia.

I wasn't referring to the geographical isolation, where you do actually have a point. Your comparison between the capital of a provincial and barely populated US state like Montana and a major metropolitan area like Perth came off as arbitrary and ill-considered.

I wasn't referring to the geographical isolation, where you do actually have a point. Your comparison between the capital of a provincial and barely populated US state like Montana and a major metropolitan area like Perth came off as arbitrary and ill-considered.

That's looking at it as if I was saying that Perth was as small as Helena. Perth is more populated than some large US cities, instead my comment was completely referring to the geographical isolation of the two cities. That is the only way the comparison was meant and should be taken.

Perth is isolated from Australia and is the nations fourth largest city, and the economy of the area is already starting to slow. Bidding with Perth should never happen unless Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are all wiped off the map. The city being close to other nations will not help that fact.

Again - if everyone is so willing to accept the possibility of Brisbane, then Perth is on the cards too. If you argue less than you don't know a lot.

Perth wouldn't be my preferred choice - but to dimiss it entirely as Australia's next possible bid city over the next few decades is frankly stupid.

Brisbane seems a lot more realistic than Perth. Besides the fact Brisbane has bid before and is located closer to the bulk of the Australian population. Brisbane has more than double the population than Perth as well.

Melbourne and Sydney are roughly the same population wise, but Sydney is a little larger.

there needs to be a perth swear jar

Can't believe there's this much talk about Perth without GCL around here. On that note..

That's looking at it as if I was saying that Perth was as small as Helena. Perth is more populated than some large US cities, instead my comment was completely referring to the geographical isolation of the two cities. That is the only way the comparison was meant and should be taken.

Perth is isolated from Australia and is the nations fourth largest city, and the economy of the area is already starting to slow. Bidding with Perth should never happen unless Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are all wiped off the map. The city being close to other nations will not help that fact.

I think I get it now. You mentioned Montana which borders Alberta. And we all know that we say about Perth and Alberta!

• Like 1

Brisbane seems a lot more realistic than Perth. Besides the fact Brisbane has bid before and is located closer to the bulk of the Australian population. Brisbane has more than double the population than Perth as well.

Melbourne and Sydney are roughly the same population wise, but Sydney is a little larger.

Provided Melbourne figures out the climate and date issue, they'll have first right of refusal to be the next Australian bid. This is only boosted by their sporting record, excellent transport infrastructure, a well-connected international airport, magnificent vistas and their successful hosting of the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

On a different note, it'd be useful for Australia to join the Olympic Council of Asia: the Asian Games would prove another nice continental testing ground for Australian athletes - and frankly, I'm not really sure how beneficial this whole Oceania setup is for AUS or NZ...

Provided Melbourne figures out the climate and date issue, they'll have first right of refusal to be the next Australian bid. This is only boosted by their sporting record, excellent transport infrastructure, a well-connected international airport, magnificent vistas and their successful hosting of the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

On a different note, it'd be useful for Australia to join the Olympic Council of Asia: the Asian Games would prove another nice continental testing ground for Australian athletes - and frankly, I'm not really sure how beneficial this whole Oceania setup is for AUS or NZ...

Australia would very willingly enter the Asian Council, and I bet our cities would eagerly step forward to host the Asian Games --- its just that they don't want us. Frankly, I'd love it, and it would be a more meaningful connection for Australia for our future (as a part of Asia) compared to the increasingly less relevant CwG (despite our constant hosting) .

Same could be said for Russia too, re: Asiad.