Melbourne Olympic Park arena's don't even have Victorians on it they have Pastor Margaret Court an NSW born now Western Australian local for the past 47 years who lived in Perth for most of her tennis career and Rod Laver an Queensland born now lives in the USA. It will either be Brisbane or Perth hosting the next SOPG in Australia then likely go back to Sydney after.

WTF are you droning on about? Sydney has a much higher chance of hosting a second time then Perth or Brisbane do. If it is too soon to go to Sydney then it is too soon to go to Australia. Brisbane may have grown, but growth does not equate to future Olympic host.

Though I will say the Brisbane has a better chance then Perth. Still does not mean Perth will host, especially if Sydney can and if at the time wanted to.

Sorry I meant Brisbane in that last part...

• Like 1
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry Rols, but we all know that England desreve to host all the Olympic Games form 2024 onwards

HAHAHAHAHA. Coming from the guy who is still butthurt about the 2018 World Cup result.

Melbourne Olympic Park arena's don't even have Victorians on it they have Pastor Margaret Court an NSW born now Western Australian local for the past 47 years who lived in Perth for most of her tennis career and Rod Laver an Queensland born now lives in the USA. It will either be Brisbane or Perth hosting the next SOPG in Australia then likely go back to Sydney after.

So... The fact that two of Melbourne's tennis stadiums are named after Australians who live/lived in other states means that those other states will have a better chance at hosting than Melbourne? Ok. I would have thought the fact that their names are on state of the art arenas in Melbourne is more a drawcard for that city, but if you insist, lol...

You really are unable to have meaningful cognition, aren't you?

I've long since got over my desire to see NZ host the OSGs in my lifetime...They're just too bloody expensive and as mentioned elswhere here, NZs population would be pushing a mere 6-7 Million. it's focus seem to lean towards one hit events and if they still exist, a CWGs.

Although I would love to see Sydney front again, it will be a fight with Melbourne and Brisbane kicking up a fuss if they are turned down. Melbourne is more likely...And could be sooner rather than later.

From what we are seeing in the 2022 race...No one seems to be willing to take the great leap into the unknown unless they are a willing cashed up hardline dictatorship.

I've long since got over my desire to see NZ host the OSGs in my lifetime...They're just too bloody expensive and as mentioned elswhere here, NZs population would be pushing a mere 6-7 Million. it's focus seem to lean towards one hit events and if they still exist, a CWGs.

Although I would love to see Sydney front again, it will be a fight with Melbourne and Brisbane kicking up a fuss if they are turned down. Melbourne is more likely...And could be sooner rather than later.

From what we are seeing in the 2022 race...No one seems to be willing to take the great leap into the unknown unless they are a willing cashed up hardline dictatorship.

But Melbourne's weather would be too big of a problem. It is illogical to think that any western TV company would be okay with the summer games during November or October.

• Like 1

But Melbourne's weather would be too big of a problem. It is illogical to think that any western TV company would be okay with the summer games during November or October.

You keep saying this, only because you realised the issue when it was pointed out a month or so ago. The issue isnt if Melbourne can or cannot host in September ... It CAN ... It would just be abit cooler than 2000. Historically, Melbourne's weather warms up substantially in the last week of Sept. If it were happening in 2014, a Sept 19 to October 4 window would have worked- not a hot Games, but temps hovering around the 18-24 mark as a high - yesterday was 30c which is not uncommon for early Oct.

Go figure - Melbourne is not impossible, the risk for Melbourne lies with Brisbane being able to deliver in August.

Perths weather faces similar internal obstacles to Melbourne.

Other cities would no doubt offer more attractive July timeframes , but aside from this issue Melbourne is one of the best off the shelf options for the IOC. I think it would have held its own against the 2020 cohort, and probably won in that environment (ignoring Sydney 2000s proximity)

You keep saying this, only because you realised the issue when it was pointed out a month or so ago. The issue isnt if Melbourne can or cannot host in September ... It CAN ... It would just be abit cooler than 2000. Historically, Melbourne's weather warms up substantially in the last week of Sept. If it were happening in 2014, a Sept 19 to October 4 window would have worked- not a hot Games, but temps hovering around the 18-24 mark as a high - yesterday was 30c which is not uncommon for early Oct.

Go figure - Melbourne is not impossible, the risk for Melbourne lies with Brisbane being able to deliver in August.

Perths weather faces similar internal obstacles to Melbourne.

Other cities would no doubt offer more attractive July timeframes , but aside from this issue Melbourne is one of the best off the shelf options for the IOC. I think it would have held its own against the 2020 cohort, and probably won in that environment (ignoring Sydney 2000s proximity)

That still does not change the fact that Sydney could have those same temps, but even earlier then Melbourne at a time more digestible for TV companies. Not to mention Sydney still has a great deal of attractiveness on par if not above Melbourne's.

That still does not change the fact that Sydney could have those same temps, but even earlier then Melbourne at a time more digestible for TV companies. Not to mention Sydney still has a great deal of attractiveness on par if not above Melbourne's.

That's your opinion. I live/lived in both cities. Melbourne is more functional. Sydney is a very different place to the one in the early 90s that had the get go for 2000.

It's also hard to say how easily Sydney's 2000 venues could be re adapted . Melbourne offers greater versatility . That said its a long way off and everything is subject to change.

My point is more that you seem to speak with such authority on topics you clearly don't know a great deal about.

I was under the impression that the AOC was leaning towards Brisbane as next favoured host anyway?...In saying that, if it were to fail then Sydney or Melbourne may jump in. Oceania would be due a round in this time frame.

Funny - today it is mid October, Sydney was lashed by 160km winds last night, it is wet and freezing, with heavy snow blocking road access into the city from the West! This is a month after the Sydney 2000 opening date.... how lucky they were in 2000 with the perfect weather.

Could have had a Paralympic Winter Games in Katoomba.

• Like 1

Funny - today it is mid October, Sydney was lashed by 160km winds last night, it is wet and freezing, with heavy snow blocking road access into the city from the West! This is a month after the Sydney 2000 opening date.... how lucky they were in 2000 with the perfect weather.

To be fair, though, the actual Olympic dates this year would have given us another good one. Today's the aberration.

That's your opinion. I live/lived in both cities. Melbourne is more functional. Sydney is a very different place to the one in the early 90s that had the get go for 2000.

It's also hard to say how easily Sydney's 2000 venues could be re adapted . Melbourne offers greater versatility . That said its a long way off and everything is subject to change.

My point is more that you seem to speak with such authority on topics you clearly don't know a great deal about.

I'm not debating either cities technical ability to host. Melbourne and Sydney could both host a modern games with relative ease, especially Melbourne. But, when it comes down to weather Melbourne's is just too unpredictable and the games would have to be held too far into the calendar then the IOC would prefer.

I was under the impression that the AOC was leaning towards Brisbane as next favoured host anyway?...In saying that, if it were to fail then Sydney or Melbourne may jump in. Oceania would be due a round in this time frame.

Yeah you are right. They are pushing Brisbane, but I suspect they want a repeat of the 1986-1993.

Perth been lately in September in the last half been in the low to mid 20s and only 3 days of bad rain days but with that it been heavy rain like 30 mills going down in one day not really much really windy, Perth would be wetter then Sydney if we host in September so we are like Moscow ave rain 15 days of rain.

If an Olympics were held in 2014,then this is what we got for the main capital cities.

I selectged period: Friday 19th Sept-Sunday 5th Oct 2014

Sydney Olympic Park

Ave Max: 24.4 degC

Rain: 2/17 days (7.4mm)

Ave Hours of Sunshine: 8.2hrs

Brisbane

Ave Max: 25.3 degC

Rain: 4/17 days (24.6mm)

Ave Hours of Sunshine: 5.2hrs

Melbourne

Ave Max: 21.1 degC

Rain: 6/17 days (18.4mm)

Ave Hours of Sunshine: 6.8hrs

Perth

Ave Max: 22.8 degC

Rain: 6/17 days (59.2mm)

Ave Hours of Sunshine: 7.4hrs

Interesting data- what's your source?

You weren't wrong when you said 1996 would have been cold!

What is important is that shifting back one week makes a difference - late September sees a shift in temperature. I'd be interested to see going forward how open the IOC would be to one week in Sept/ one in Oct. If Melbourne had used that this year it would have been beautiful.

What it shows is that Brisbane offers the lowest weather of a September Olympics than either Sydney and especially Melbourne.

Low chance of rain,low chance of very hot weather and a high chance of clear blues skies with ideal mid 20s weather.

Sydney can offer this as well,but a likelyhood of a possible cool,wet day or 2,while Melbourne is highly likely to have a weather interuppted Olympics with the high chance of at least rain every second day and very limited days that will have ideal conditions.

If the Olympics were held in Melbourne in mid to late October,the chances for ideal conditions improve dramatically(like today here in melbourne!),but this is huge disadvantage basing a bid around October.

Anyway,this thread is a Sydney 2040 thread,so I wont go on about Melbourne and Brisbane.

I would love to see another Olympics in Sydney,but i wont hold my breath.Current sporting facilities( although still suitable for an Olympics) make no difference for an event that will take place in 26 years.Sydney and its facilities will be very different to wjat we see now.The same can be said for Melbourne and Brisbane.