I get the line of thinking from most Americans that we have all the sports we need here and anything happening outside the country is irrelevant and unimportant. That's fine, but if you're going to take that attitude, then why should any foreigner care where the Super Bowl is held.

Erm Quaker....we don't. ^_^

America is an isolated oddity when it comes to sport. I don't think Zeke's point of view is arrogant really. Ignorant, sure, but no more ignorant than my knowledge of American sport.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Formula One is a big deal outside the US doesn't change the fact that it isn't a big deal in the US. I've said nothing about it being unimportant, etc. or that we have all the sports we need (whatever that means) just the fact that a tilny fraction of Americans know there's a formula one race in Melbourne.

And if you want to get in a semantic pissing match, I believe covered means more than televised. In means that SportsCenter or other general sports news shows will talk about it, or at least give the results.

Wow this got hostile fast.

Erm Quaker....we don't. ^_^

America is an isolated oddity when it comes to sport. I don't think Zeke's point of view is arrogant really. Ignorant, sure, but no more ignorant than my knowledge of American sport.

Isolated, sort of, odd, maybe, profitable, you better believe it. For being isolated and odd, the NFL at least knows how to make lots of money.

Of course! And I wasn't being hostile, just pointing out the way things are. :)

It's interesting that NFL and F1 should be the sports mentioned. Fringe sports in the US and the UK respectively. but both recently putting big amounts of effort to break into these markets. F1 with its hugely successful Austin GP, and NFL with its sold-out Wembley matches. Neither are likely to get mainstream support or huge TV audiences outside of their core markets anytime soon, but both have enough hardcore fans to put a lot of bums on a lot of seats.

The question moving forward for F1 is can the US support more than one race (they're keen to get one in NYC), and can London support an NFL Franchise, something that seems to be gaining traction. Both may be a step too far for now, but the strategies of the two sports right now are interesting to compare.

World Championships in major Olympic events like swimming and gymnastics have NO significance in America? The 1956 Olympics had no significance??? We understand, nothing that happens outside the US has any significance to America, you can't even find us on a map.

No, outside of the Olympics, non of those events really get any attention here. Maybe some attention for swimming but it's very minimal. Nobody gives a hoot about cycling and gymnastics world champs. I don't even think they're televised in America except on a tape delay hour long highlight package. And America also doesn't compete in the Commies, so that doesn't count either.

Sports in the US and for that matter Canada are difficult to understand for foreigners. There's a lot of attention on domestic competitions rather than international ones. The only big ones that get a lot of attention in the US are the Olympics, Euro and World Cup. Canada also doesn't really care much aside from those events, rugby, curling and world junior hockey.

World Championships in major Olympic events like swimming and gymnastics have NO significance in America? The 1956 Olympics had no significance??? We understand, nothing that happens outside the US has any significance to America, you can't even find us on a map.

It's not because they happen outside the US. Those sports just aren't cared about much outside the Olympics. They could take place in the US and still receive the same indifference.

It's also not ignorance either, it's just the sporting culture in North America is built that way.

I have no problem with that mindset, but it doesn't help the viewpoint of foreigners to say in a forum like this how the United States view Melbourne (and to miss an internationally known event they host, even if it's of little significance to most Americans).

It's understandable that Americans (and to an extent, North Americans) don't look much outside our borders for big sporting events. We have the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, Final Four, College Football playoff, 3 golf majors, 1 tennis major, Indy 500, Daytona 500, 3 triple crown horse races plus the Breeders' Cup. And I'm sure I'm missing some. We have leagues where most of the world's best baseball, basketball, and hockey players want to come to. So it's a pretty full sports calendar. Plus, unlike in most countries, we don't have a lot of prominent national teams, nor do we have club teams who compete against other countries on a regular basis.

Not what I was saying. Melbourne is in no way impossible - it is entirely possible. Yep, Sydney is one of the most famous cities in the world but It's all relative - Melbourne has a enough international profile, particularly in sport, for it not to be an issue.

Melbourne could host, but not within the the time slots. Even Sydney is a stretch time wise. A Melbourne games would have to take place in October-November compared to Sydney's September time frame. So while Melbourne could technically and infrastructure wise host, the weather and time will put a strain especially in the modern games.

Melbourne could host, but not within the the time slots. Even Sydney is a stretch time wise. A Melbourne games would have to take place in October-November compared to Sydney's September time frame. So while Melbourne could technically and infrastructure wise host, the weather and time will put a strain especially in the modern games.

When the IOC becomes more increasingly desperate for hosts (those big names withdrawing due to cost concerns, too many iffy bidders a la dictatorships etc...) they will easily consider a Melbourne bid which is held late September, even early October like the 1996 bid.

They;d rather go somewhere safe than another mega extravaganza dictatorship.

Of course! And I wasn't being hostile, just pointing out the way things are. :)

It's interesting that NFL and F1 should be the sports mentioned. Fringe sports in the US and the UK respectively. but both recently putting big amounts of effort to break into these markets. F1 with its hugely successful Austin GP, and NFL with its sold-out Wembley matches. Neither are likely to get mainstream support or huge TV audiences outside of their core markets anytime soon, but both have enough hardcore fans to put a lot of bums on a lot of seats.

The question moving forward for F1 is can the US support more than one race (they're keen to get one in NYC), and can London support an NFL Franchise, something that seems to be gaining traction. Both may be a step too far for now, but the strategies of the two sports right now are interesting to compare.

No no no, I didn't mean you were being hostile. I was agreeing with you, professional sports are for the most part isolated here in the US and Canada, and compared to soccer they are odd. I should have added a winky to the last part, because I was being kind of a smart ass.

They;d rather go somewhere safe than another mega extravaganza dictatorship.

I see no evidence the IOC members have any problems with mega extravaganza dictatorships. Bach is still BFFs with Putin. It's the sensible Norwegians the IOC has lashed out at.

But I totally agree with your larger point. The IOC will keep the calendar rules, until they want a games outside the calendar and quickly scrap them.

If you are looking at a bid in this part of the world, then Auckland, New Zealand might get a look in ahead of the likes of Brisbane and Perth.

There would certainly be the ability to have the infrastructure required with the redevelopment/development of facilities to be used for a games and as the leading city within the country with the possibility that the facilities would always be used then this would provide the legacy.

Frankly there is more chance the IOC will relax on winter scheduling and allow a Chch OWG in July.

Not gonna happen. The WOG's existence is based on advertisers/sponsors' $$$ and the northern networks CANNOT sell a Winter event in a northern July; so they're NOT going to bid high $$. So, it's just not going to happen.

The Next Olympics in Oceania will be in either Sydney or Melbourne in the late 2040's, early 2050's.

And it will be the Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

Not gonna happen. The WOG's existence is based on advertisers/sponsors' $$$ and the northern networks CANNOT sell a Winter event in a northern July; so they're NOT going to bid high $$. So, it's just not going to happen.

While I agree with you for most of this, 1 thing to point out.. The IOC already has NBC's money through the 2032 Olympics. So their selection of the host site before then wouldn't affect that bid. After that of course, who knows.

Because nobody eats McDonalds or drinks Coke in the summer

Pretty sure we had this conversation before.. if you're going to use Winter athletes and Winter sports competition to sell those products, it's a lot harder to do that when it's summer across most of the world and you lose all the lead-up and promotion to the Olympics you get when they're held as usual in February. To say nothing of the clash with the World Cup that would occur. Bad idea jeans.

Melbourne Olympic Park arena's don't even have Victorians on it they have Pastor Margaret Court an NSW born now Western Australian local for the past 47 years who lived in Perth for most of her tennis career and Rod Laver an Queensland born now lives in the USA. It will either be Brisbane or Perth hosting the next SOPG in Australia then likely go back to Sydney after.

Archived