Well, I'd be pushing 80 if it happened, but well...

Another Sydney Olympic Games in 2040? That’s what campaigner Marc White is hoping for

A bold campaign to see the Olympic Games return to Sydney is building momentum after being spearheaded by a Strawberry Hills resident.

Olympics enthusiast and campaigner Marc White was so impressed with how Sydney galvanised for the 2000 Games, he wants to see them return in 2040.

Mr White, who has launched a website with a countdown timer to 2040, believes Sydney has earned the right to host the Games again.

“The Sydney 2000 games showed off the city to the world and the tourist boost it brought with it and the overwhelming boost to the economy in undeniable,” he said.

“Possibly the most important thing though was the happiness and love it generated.”

“The feeling during the 2000 games was great. 2040 feels like a nice round number and I think Sydney should have the opportunity to host the games again.

“I have no doubt the public will get behind the campaign and I ask anyone that is interested in showing their support to do so through the contacts page of the website.”

State MP, Alex Greenwich said he supports the Olympic Games returning to Sydney.

“I support community debate about the costs and benefits of Sydney bidding to host a second Olympics in 2040,” he said.

“Sydneysiders fondly remember the 2000 Olympics as a special time for our city, and I understand that many would want future generations to have a similar experience”

But media director with the Australian Olympic Committee, Mike Tancred said any bid to have the games returned to Australia would more than likely favour Brisbane.

“Any Olympic Games needs the support of the State Government so in this case it would be the NSW Government and it would also need the support of the AOC,” he said.

“President of the AOC, John Coates, said the next Australian bid for the Olympics should be around 2040 but he has favoured in the past a bid for Brisbane.”

Visit sydney2040.com

Daily Telegraph

I wonder if Mr White will end up here?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Rols, but we all know that England desreve to host all the Olympic Games form 2024 onwards :P

The remarks, just because Your still upset You didn't get Your own way with the Scottish Independence Referendum.

The planets aligned for Sydney to host in 2000 (Sydney is actually the famous 'cant do' city of Australia). I still think the next Aussie Games will be in Melbourne, and with developments around the world maybe sooner rather than later.

2028, 2032, or 2036 are all look pretty plausible for Oz.

Sydney hosting again before 2040 is entirely realistic, and frankly a much bigger threat to Melbourne's potential than Brisbane or it's cooler weather.

I'd prefer a second Sydney Games over a first Brisbane Games. Easily.

Me too, Melbourne is just impossible with the Olympics strict time slots. I would also argue that Sydney is more well known internationally.

Me too, Melbourne is just impossible with the Olympics strict time slots. I would also argue that Sydney is more well known internationally.

Not what I was saying. Melbourne is in no way impossible - it is entirely possible. Yep, Sydney is one of the most famous cities in the world but It's all relative - Melbourne has a enough international profile, particularly in sport, for it not to be an issue.

The IOC would like to go to an new city in Australia for the next Summer Games they love legacy not much of an legacy if Melbourne host and Sydney is going backwoods now with Cloover Moore. It will be either be Brisbane or Perth the next host in Australia and I think in 20 years the IOC no longer have date requirements as it become less eurocentric. Perth is an rising global city which is going under an massive developments right now and in 20 years time Perth will be Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games ready I think 2040 will be the next time which Australia would host the games in Perth. The Conservative state government in Western Australia the Liberal National Party government is investing and spending lots and lots of money on development of Perth and is the only Australian city short-listed for the 7 new wonders which is in the top 21 cities right now and the only Australian place in the top 53 Perth is ranked 9th as best place to visit by the New York Times.

The IOC would like to go to an new city in Australia for the next Summer Games they love legacy not much of an legacy if Melbourne host and Sydney is going backwoods now with Cloover Moore. It will be either be Brisbane or Perth the next host in Australia and I think in 20 years the IOC no longer have date requirements as it become less eurocentric. Perth is an rising global city which is going under an massive developments right now and in 20 years time Perth will be Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games ready I think 2040 will be the next time which Australia would host the games in Perth. The Conservative state government in Western Australia the Liberal National Party government is investing and spending lots and lots of money on development of Perth and is the only Australian city short-listed for the 7 new wonders which is in the top 21 cities right now and the only Australian place in the top 53 Perth is ranked 9th as best place to visit by the New York Times.

Good to know you're so in tune with the IOC that you know what they would like. Definitely useful knowledge to have

lolz. k. bye

Since when has the geographic knowledge of the average American been a gauge of a city's credentials? :P Point is - the people that matter (the IOC) would be well familiar with Melbourne's sporting prowess, arguably one of the great global centres for sport.

Besides which, I'm sure any American who actively watches the Aus Open would know it is in Melbourne - otherwise they don't know their tennis...

From a US standpoint, Melbourne has almost no international sports standing. The only event covered in the US is the tennis Open, and I bet most Americans think that's in Sydney

Note: as for Perth, it is equally likely to host in 2040 or 2042

Good job zeke, way to simultaneously prove a case for both American arrogance and ignorance. And we wonder sometimes why foreigners have that viewpoint of us. Let's help you out here..

ausrtalia-f1-race-12.jpg

And yes, in case there was any lingering doubt here, Formula One is covered in the United States, perhaps ironically for the purposes of this discussion, on the same cable network that covers the Olympics here.

There is nothing arrogant about stating, factually, that only a tiny portion of the US knows there is a formula one race in Melbourne.

I wouldn't expect people in Australia to know there is a NASCAR race in Dover, DE. Or where the Peach Bowl is held for that matter.

PS - I assume Formula One is on NBC's hunting, fishing and Tour de France channel, right?

There is nothing arrogant about stating, factually, that only a tiny portion of the US knows there is a formula one race in Melbourne.

I wouldn't expect people in Australia to know there is a NASCAR race in Dover, DE. Or where the Peach Bowl is held for that matter.

PS - I assume Formula One is on NBC's hunting, fishing and Tour de France channel, right?

Except that you stated "The only event covered in the US is the tennis Open." That is factually incorrect and reeks of both arrogance and ignorance because Formula One is a pretty big deal worldwide.

I get the line of thinking from most Americans that we have all the sports we need here and anything happening outside the country is irrelevant and unimportant. That's fine, but if you're going to take that attitude, then why should any foreigner care where the Super Bowl is held. Or any other big event that we find important that the rest of the world doesn't care so much.

And yes, Formula One is on NBC's cable sports network, otherwise known as NBC Sports Network. Again, you might recall them of their 500+ hours of Olympics coverage from London and Sochi, not to mention the Youth Olympics and Paralympics this year, speaking of things Americans don't generally give 2 shits about.

Archived