Get excited cause quite a few deaths are coming up. And you also have to love Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith) and her sass.

the show will always make me laugh by pointlessly killing off otherwise healthy 20 something characters -- spanish flu! sepsis! -- while keeping 109 year old lady grantham alive and well with not so much as a headcold because they wouldn't have a show without her.

Sorry but I don't post in here much anymore, but was visiting looking for yoshi and found this. I live not that far away from Wham in the North West of England - always makes me snigger :D

Are you sure it doesn't make you giggle? We could get another local joke in that way.

the show will always make me laugh by pointlessly killing off otherwise healthy 20 something characters -- spanish flu! sepsis! -- while keeping 109 year old lady grantham alive and well with not so much as a headcold because they wouldn't have a show without her.

See recent contributions in this thread by Tatsh. That's just the way age works round here.

Ah but she caught flu in the last series and survived, so she's immune. I guess contracts must be up for renewal so time to get rid of some of the less popular characters and those who want out!

Actually, you may laugh but it's all true to life. English aristocrats often got rid of tiresome relatives and bolshie servants by exposing them to Spanish Flu. It worked wonders and was a lot cheaper and less risky than shooting or firing them!

A great Englishman once said

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about

Actually, I think you'll find it was said by a great Irishman! ;)

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/5560-there-is-only-one-thing-in-the-world-worse-than

Actually, I think you'll find it was said by a great Irishman! ;)

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/5560-there-is-only-one-thing-in-the-world-worse-than

But Oscar was a poseur. Posing as Irish while being 'British.' How come he never flourished in Dublin or Belfast? London and Oxford (or the other one) were his milieu. DIdn't even retire to Dublin; but Paris.

Archived