Scotland says "No" to independence

Ripley

Yes - 45%

No - 55%

Common sense prevails - however, there has been deep constitutional shock. There's a general election in the UK next year and it will be interesting to see how the deep dissatisfaction with Wetminster politics and the constitutional arrangements within the UK will play out.

Expect more devolution to English metro cities, a smaller role for Scotland / Wales and N ireland at Westminster, huge implications for the Labour Party.

For me it makes huge amounts of sense to have a separate Englsih parliament in the north of England - York seems like an historic and sensible place. This would help balance out the power concentration of London and the SE and be a far neater constitutional arrangment with the devolved home nation's parliaments in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.

Just some thoughts...

Fact: London is power in Britain.

Fact: Scotland obviously needs England.

Opinion: I still prefer 4 Separate Countries.

Alex Salmond and Your supporters = You failed.

it's not england it's actually britain... scotland needs england has no sense at all because both england and scotland need britain...

^^ You couldn't had explained it better.

Also can someone please enlighten me about the House of Commons and Lords ^^; i'm sorry I don't know much about UK political structure but i've heard some want the House of Lords to be abolished after this

London is not everything. I come from Manchester, a city that drove the Industrial Revolution last century, the same revolution that made Britain great. We have a proud past of our own and don't see the need to keep letting whatever London wants dominate our lives. Expect increased demands for devolution for regions like mine in the wake of this referendum. It's not just been all about Scotland!

You seem to think that the only people and places that matter are where you happen to come from.

Open your eyes Tony, there's a great big world out there and England is just one small part of it. Try and see yourself as something wider than just being merely English!

^^ You couldn't had explained it better.

Also can someone please enlighten me about the House of Commons and Lords ^^; i'm sorry I don't know much about UK political structure but i've heard some want the House of Lords to be abolished after this

There has long been a consensus about abolition or radical reform of the House of Lords but the ability to act on this consensus has foundered on unresolved disagreements about whether its replacement should be an elected chamber or an appointed one, like it is now. Tony Blair's government began the process in 1999 by ending the right of the hereditary peerage to sit in the Upper House but disagreed with many of his party in wanting to keep it as an appointed chamber rather than an elected one so the reforms weren't finished and the present House of Lords contains a rump of hereditary lords elected by their peers and the majority Life Peers who are all appointed by the Queen on the recommendation of the Prime Minister.

The House of Commons is the elected chamber and the one with the actual legislative power.

Just "ignore" him OFD. (Oh and don't re-quote his posts, it encourages him)

Well, You really are using Democracy well. Hide away and don't give Your side of the argument.

London is not everything. I come from Manchester, a city that drove the Industrial Revolution last century, the same revolution that made Britain great. We have a proud past of our own and don't see the need to keep letting whatever London wants dominate our lives. Expect increased demands for devolution for regions like mine in the wake of this referendum. It's not just been all about Scotland!

You seem to think that the only people and places that matter are where you happen to come from.

Open your eyes Tony, there's a great big world out there and England is just one small part of it. Try and see yourself as something wider than just being merely English!

I love London and England.

^can we all just put the little English brat and his delusional Australian friend on ignore please?

Offensive. Little English brat? Why point out our Nationality? Ignore Me then and don't reply to Me.

Way to keep the spirit of unity and the hope for change alive, snob.

I'm not a snob.

What this referendum, and perhaps more specifically the Sunday Times opinion poll that was the first to put the Yes campaign in the lead a couple of weekends ago, has given us is the opportunity to create a United Kingdom that is truly fit for the 21st century. The fact that more than 1.6 million citizens of the United Kingdom voted to leave it shows the status quo can no longer be sustained.

Now is the time to create a union in which all its nations are equal players and the democratic deficits that have existed for so long are finally put right. This is not a time for party politics to be allowed to get in the way. This is a time to learn the lessons and do the right thing. Failure now will hasten the end of the union. It is as simple as that.

Can someone explain what powers the 'local councils' have?

I think there cannot be the degree of devolution that Scotland wants without hastening the separation of the Union. It is one of the reasons there has not been many significant power transfers between Ottawa and the provinces since 1995. The Federal government must remain strong and important to the daily lives of all people, otherwise you only get the Balkanization of states. Complete devolution would also create significant barriers between each entity and create issues like in Canada where there is substantial differences in quality of education, health care and public services between the provinces based on individual ideology of each province. All you will create is 3 and 3/16th nations that have nothing to do with each other and want nothing to do with each other.

Can someone explain what powers the 'local councils' have?

I think there cannot be the degree of devolution that Scotland wants without hastening the separation of the Union. It is one of the reasons there has not been many significant power transfers between Ottawa and the provinces since 1995. The Federal government must remain strong and important to the daily lives of all people, otherwise you only get the Balkanization of states. Complete devolution would also create significant barriers between each entity and create issues like in Canada where there is substantial differences in quality of education, health care and public services between the provinces based on individual ideology of each province. All you will create is 3 and 3/16th nations that have nothing to do with each other and want nothing to do with each other.

Could follow the Australian model...Each state has it's own laws with Canberra taking on heavy stuff like overall Defense, Health and global financial systems. This is pretty much what Westminster could be with England getting a government house to itself instead of relying on "City" financiers.

Trouble is that the population of England is massive compared to the other home nations. It's 50 million + compared to Scotland at 5.5 million. Constitutionally, Its really difficult to maintain a balance of power everyone will be content with in that scenario. Suggestions welcome!

Does ANYONE see a reason to increase this person's post quota? I don't. Insufferable.

None of Your business. Drop it.

If anything it should be lowered to 1 post a day.

Erm, No.

1 post a week. 1 post a month

Erm, No.

I call for him to be banned.

No. Not Your call. I won't be banned, so stop banging on about it.

Just drop it People.

What this referendum, and perhaps more specifically the Sunday Times opinion poll that was the first to put the Yes campaign in the lead a couple of weekends ago, has given us is the opportunity to create a United Kingdom that is truly fit for the 21st century. The fact that more than 1.6 million citizens of the United Kingdom voted to leave it shows the status quo can no longer be sustained.

Now is the time to create a union in which all its nations are equal players and the democratic deficits that have existed for so long are finally put right. This is not a time for party politics to be allowed to get in the way. This is a time to learn the lessons and do the right thing. Failure now will hasten the end of the union. It is as simple as that.

Like pointed out above, England is by far larger. It's not being nationalistic, it's facts that England is far bigger. So there can never be a balance.

None of Your business. Drop it.

Erm, No.

Erm, No.

No. Not Your call. I won't be banned, so stop banging on about it.

Just drop it People.

Like pointed out above, England is by far larger. It's not being nationalistic, it's facts that England is far bigger. So there can never be a balance.

There is a difference between size and actual importance. England may be larger, but that does not mean it is more important then Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland. All four of those states are vital to the survival of the UK and each individual country. It is the same way that the US could never achieve anything if we were not truly united.

In nations united like ours each state or country is vital to the other. We provide each other with vital necessities and work together to establish freedom, harmony, and prosperity to a whole nation and peoples.

Scotland voted to stay in the union, not because they are 'pro-england', but because they can see (unlike yourself) that they need England as much as England needs them and that the UK truly is better together. United they stand out of the hope of a better future and to maintain peaceful and mutual unity.

Could follow the Australian model...Each state has it's own laws with Canberra taking on heavy stuff like overall Defense, Health and global financial systems. This is pretty much what Westminster could be with England getting a government house to itself instead of relying on "City" financiers.

That is roughly the system we have here in the states. Ideally the main government keeps us unified and focuses on broader national and international affairs.

Archived