Doha, Dubai Ready To Host Olympics

GBModerator

Some years ago, my answer would had been "Nope". But looking at how regimes seem to have the upper hand now that the sane governments in the world all seem to be scared to host the Olympics due to the bad reputation they have now, cost wise, I would dare to say both UAE and Qatar have bigger chances than ever.

However there is also the hot weather issue.

Some years ago, my answer would had been "Nope". But looking at how regimes seem to have the upper hand now that the sane governments in the world all seem to be scared to host the Olympics due to the bad reputation they have now, cost wise, I would dare to say both UAE and Qatar have bigger chances than ever.

However there is also the hot weather issue.

Dubai certainly has a much better chance of Hosting the Summer Olympics and Paralympics, especially since the controversy around Qatar surrounding the 2022 Fifa World Cup. The IOC doesn't want to go where Fifa went in that way.

Qatar doesn't have a very Good reputation since the 2022 Fifa World Cup Bidding, same goes for Russia for 2018, although Russia didn't have a Good reputation before that either. Hopefully, the IOC has some sense left and doesn't go to Doha. If they go to Almaty for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, then the IOC has Completely messed up. These are Major Countries I count as Democracies:

- Here in England. (Or United Kingdom).

- Holland.

- Republic Of Ireland.

- Spain.

- Sweden.

- Czech Republic.

- Australia.

- Canada.

- New Zealand.

- United States Of America.

- Norway.

- Japan.

Those are just some Good examples.

Countries that are dictatorships:

- Kazakhstan.

- Qatar.

- China.

- Russia.

- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Won't say this Country, as it will start a argument, although I believe this Country is a dictatorship, but it would split opinion and go off topic.

@Gold Coast Lions, Please type in Google 'Countries that are dictatorships' and click the First link. I can announce the Kazakhstan is on that list.

So, the IOC should definitley stay well away from those dictatorship Countries (Except China for 2022, because the IOC has no choice if Oslo withdraws, at least we know Beijing can deliver).

I don't think Dubai will Host it in 2024, but they could Host in a different Year, maybe 2040?

Dubai certainly has a much better chance of Hosting the Summer Olympics and Paralympics, especially since the controversy around Qatar surrounding the 2022 Fifa World Cup. The IOC doesn't want to go where Fifa went in that way.

Qatar doesn't have a very Good reputation since the 2022 Fifa World Cup Bidding, same goes for Russia for 2018, although Russia didn't have a Good reputation before that either. Hopefully, the IOC has some sense left and doesn't go to Doha. If they go to Almaty for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, then the IOC has Completely messed up. These are Major Countries I count as Democracies:

- Here in England. (Or United Kingdom).

- Holland.

- Republic Of Ireland.

- Spain.

- Sweden.

- Czech Republic.

- Australia.

- Canada.

- New Zealand.

- United States Of America.

- Norway.

- Japan.

Those are just some Good examples.

Countries that are dictatorships:

- Kazakhstan.

- Qatar.

- China.

- Russia.

- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Won't say this Country, as it will start a argument, although I believe this Country is a dictatorship, but it would split opinion and go off topic.

@Gold Coast Lions, Please type in Google 'Countries that are dictatorships' and click the First link. I can announce the Kazakhstan is on that list.

So, the IOC should definitley stay well away from those dictatorship Countries (Except China for 2022, because the IOC has no choice if Oslo withdraws, at least we know Beijing can deliver).

I don't think Dubai will Host it in 2024, but they could Host in a different Year, maybe 2040?

There's so many things I'd like to say in reply to this post, but I'll keep it short:

Cut the redundant, brainless bla bla.

• Like 2

I just think that it wont happen for a long, long time. Regardless of what we think, we don't know the stigma of the middle east's effect on the IOC voters. Until they can be truly convinced that the games will occur at a normal time (not the middle of winter for the northern hemisphere) and can be assured as safe and humane (Qatar 2022 workers...), then maybe.

All things being equal, I think we can find something more official than the Tony index..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

https://portoncv.gov.cv/dhub/porton.por_global.open_file?p_doc_id=1034

Oddly enough, China and Kazakhstan are right next to each other in the rankings. China is #142 (out of 167), Kazakhstan is #143. And Norway is #1 on the list

All things being equal, I think we can find something more official than the Tony index..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

https://portoncv.gov.cv/dhub/porton.por_global.open_file?p_doc_id=1034

Oddly enough, China and Kazakhstan are right next to each other in the rankings. China is #142 (out of 167), Kazakhstan is #143. And Norway is #1 on the list

The US is not even a democracy, we are a constitutional republic.

ok I just want to state that it's obvious that the IOC couldn't give a flying frank whether the government was a democracy or not. China hosted, the USSR hosted, Yugoslavia hosted, Nazi Germany hosted (before the war, but nevertheless...). If the IOC really gave two craps why would these countries have hosted in the first place.

• Like 1

ok I just want to state that it's obvious that the IOC couldn't give a flying frank whether the government was a democracy or not. China hosted, the USSR hosted, Yugoslavia hosted, Nazi Germany hosted (before the war, but nevertheless...). If the IOC really gave two craps why would these countries have hosted in the first place.

And Sochi hosted. The IOC truly doesn't give a damn as long as they're easy to work with and they will deliver.

I doubt that the IOC finds authoritarian regimes "easy to work with". Especially after their experiences with Beijing & Sochi. If the IOC had their preference, they'd stay far, far away from Beijjng & Almaty. But they don't have that luxury this time out. I'm sure they're still working like crazy behind-the-scenes to keep Oslo from bailing ship.

I doubt that the IOC finds authoritarian regimes "easy to work with". Especially after their experiences with Beijing & Sochi. If the IOC had their preference, they'd stay far, far away from Beijjng & Almaty. But they don't have that luxury this time out. I'm sure they're still working like crazy behind-the-scenes to keep Oslo from bailing ship

I think in the past I would have said authoritarian regimes are easier to work with because it's easier to say "here are seven years to prepare, get it all done". There seems to be more "hand-holding" and closer attention with other cities. There's also less worry about the people's best interests and domestic public backlash because the government doesn't give a sh*t about them anyways. Sure there's going to be some headaches from the rest of the world, but the IOC's PR ppl and Tommy Bach seemed to ignore all that, based upon their outpouring of positive responses to the Sochi games and Bach's ridiculous speeches during the ceremonies. Now, of course, this is under circumstances during the past 15 years or so. But at this point for the IOC, it is all about reputation restoration, so right now, yes, a democracy would be easier to work with, because now the IOC really can't react the same way that they did with Sochi and show their support for these hideous regimes, otherwise they risk more damage.

I doubt that the IOC finds authoritarian regimes "easy to work with". Especially after their experiences with Beijing & Sochi. If the IOC had their preference, they'd stay far, far away from Beijjng & Almaty. But they don't have that luxury this time out. I'm sure they're still working like crazy behind-the-scenes to keep Oslo from bailing ship.

If anything, we're worrying about how Rio's gonna get it dome more than we did Beijing. I don't really think there is a factor of easy to work with when it comes to the type of government. It should actually be easier for totalitarians (maybe Sochi, but it's complicated) to host since they don't have labor unions so no one can complain about construction...

*done

I might affirm IOC, actually, love to work with authoritarian regimes. Those states don't have to deal with people, they just satisfy IOC needs and they gain prestige as capable empires to deliver eye-popping games.

Berlin Germany got the 1936 Summer games 2 years before the NAZIS came to power for you info.

The IOC could have still taken them away in 1932.

...which was one year before Hitler came to power...so clearly not.

The IOC at the time just loved to hear promises as much as the IOC of the 2000s loves to hear them.

And after they came to power, Nazis promised to keep Jews in the German team etc. Brundage jn his USOC role back then was particularly sympathetic to the Germans, for example...

• Like 1

So long as they stage KNOCK-OUT ceremonies, who cares whakindda gov't they are!! The Games must open with a bang!! ;)

Keep in mind those same people say ISIS was made by the government.

But technically you did, when you ousted Saddam in 2003. That started the ball rolling and now we have ISIS.

Had you not invaded Iraq in 2003, we'd just have Saddam still in "power" doing his normal rhetoric thing.

But technically you did, when you ousted Saddam in 2003. That started the ball rolling and now we have ISIS.

Had you not invaded Iraq in 2003, we'd just have Saddam still in "power" doing his normal rhetoric thing.

ISIS is a spin off of Al Qaeda, the only thing we let happen was create an unstable Iraq that allowed for ISIS to take grip. Then again ISIS gained most of its territory in Syria by exploiting the revolution there.

If Qatar and Dubai ever had a chance of hosting the Olympics, it would have been 20-30 years ago when media wasn't so easily accessible. Now you can read what a terrible mess the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is on a daily basis, and the games are still 8 years away. With the backlash of being the host of those games, and the backlash of having Sochi and Beijing being hosts, Doha will never host the Summer Olympics.

You also run the risk of them trying to reschedule the date of the games midway through preparations, like Qatar has now done for the World Cup. Qatar first said that the regular dates that the World Cup takes place is 'doable' because they were to install A/C systems that cool the inside of the stadiums 20 degrees lower than the outside temperatures. There's news that Qatar has now backed out of installing that type of technology, and are wanting the games to move either in February 2022, when the 2022 winter Olympics take place, or in November of the same year. We would see the exact same date changes for a Summer Olympics, which the IOC will not want to do. They can go as late as September, early October, but I don't see them wanting to schedule the games beyond that. Nor would they want to have it start earlier than normal.