Tokyo 2020 Venue Design

phandrosis

No. Ariake Coliseum is the main venue of Ariake Tennis Park that was already built back in the 80's. Ariake Arena is the newly built venue for volleyball.

Is the new Ariake Arena already built? I've found nothing online for the new Arena. And won't they be using Yoyogi for indoor volleyball?

And if so, I sit corrected.

This is the Ariake Coliseum, already existing at 10,000 that will be used for tennis.

yM8d0k6.jpg

The Differ Ariake Arena is an older facility that is in the same complex, but this isn't going to be used for the Olympics.

L0gTjTJ.jpg

The Ariake Arena is a new venue that is near the complex that is going to be built for Indoor Volleyball at around 12,000. Yoyogi will be used for handball.

0iuaIdT.jpg

If you remember back when the original contest for the National Stadium took place, this design took second place by Cox Architecture...

dVdo6Mc.jpg

Well the same firm are the folks who designed the Olympic Aquatics Center!

PNmi0XV.png

http://www.afr.com/business/construction/cox-architecture-qualifies-for-tokyo-olympics-in-winning-swimming-pool-bid-20160120-gma5w0

If you remember back when the original contest for the National Stadium took place, this design took second place by Cox Architecture...

dVdo6Mc.jpg

PNmi0XV.png

http://www.afr.com/business/construction/cox-architecture-qualifies-for-tokyo-olympics-in-winning-swimming-pool-bid-20160120-gma5w0

Why didn't that one get picked over the vagina whisperer's design??? It looks FAR better than her design, I even like it better than the one that won recently! It looks more conservative than the other two designs, and less costly to build.

I'm loving the Aquatics center design though.

• 3 weeks later...

Since baseball/softball's re-entrance into the 2020 Games is all but inevitable, it seems that the OC and within conversations with the IOC are leaning towards a renovated Yokohama Stadium that, unless they feel like they need to use more than one stadium, will host all games. Why they don't use the Tokyo Dome is a mystery to me. I assume that there are already games shedualed during the Olympics or something that couldn't be relocated. This is not set in stone yet, though...

http://www.nikkansports.com/baseball/news/1602315.html

kKaeS9k.jpg

vvl4YmO.jpg

The Tokyo Dome is owned by a private corporation - and they may have just flat out passed on the Olympics. Olympic venues are normally handed over to the OC's months prior to the Games for refitting and security/branding reasons. The owners may not be interested in losing their venue for a total 5-6 month period. Furthermore Yokohama Stadium could do with the cash injection.

^^ This, not mentioning Tokyo Dome is very active and holds many events through the year and its home of one of the most important baseball team in Japan (Yomiuri Giants). Maybe they decided in the end giving up the stadium for many months just for 16 days of events was going to cause them to lose money.

Since baseball/softball's re-entrance into the 2020 Games is all but inevitable, it seems that the OC and within conversations with the IOC are leaning towards a renovated Yokohama Stadium that, unless they feel like they need to use more than one stadium, will host all games. Why they don't use the Tokyo Dome is a mystery to me. I assume that there are already games shedualed during the Olympics or something that couldn't be relocated. This is not set in stone yet, though...

http://www.nikkansports.com/baseball/news/1602315.html

Olympics: Yokohama Stadium likely to host baseball in 2020

Yokohama Stadium has become a top candidate to host baseball in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, an official source said Monday.
Baseball and softball, which have not been played at the Olympics since 2008, are among the sports that 2020 organizers have nominated for the Tokyo Games in addition to the core Olympic program.
The other sports are surfing, skate boarding, sport climbing and karate. The International Olympic Committee will announce 2020's additional sports this August prior to the Rio de Janiero Games.
Tokyo Games organizers also looked into Tokyo Dome and Chiba city's QVC Marine Field as potential venues. Tokyo Dome's candidacy suffers, however, from the lack of nearby space needed for security and media. Chiba is already set to host three competitions, including wrestling, and it said that Kanagawa Prefecture is favored by some for baseball out of a desire to achieve balance.
Organizing Committee President Yoshiro Mori has previously indicated his stance to have some events hosted in Fukushima Prefecture in the heart of the area affected by the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami.

9 February 2016

Kyodo News:http://kyodonews.net/news/2016/02/09/49141

Archived