Euro 2016 Qualification

gotosy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an external point of view, it's pretty funny to see the rest of Europe struggle to qualify for a tournament while we have nothing to do...But that said,

I'm pretty thrilled by the performances of teams like Israel, Slovakia, Wales, Austria, Albania or Northern Ireland. Teams that weren't expected to do so good so far.

Those qualifiers also look like they're going to be remembered as the awakening of the extra-small teams, San Marino getting a tie, Faroe Islands & Liechtenstein winning games...

After watching them play, Slovakia is a team that impressed me very much, their game just as much as how the players are built -huge-. Israel impressed me too. I sure hope we'll see both teams at le rendez-vous ;) / Euro 2016 , where we'll gladly welcome them...

The beauty of the 24-team tournament is that it's giving those mid-ranking nations a realistic chance of qualifying, or at least getting into a playoff. You've only got to look at the fact that all the nations of the British Isles are in with a real shot of getting to the tournament now, whereas before it would take an exceptional performance for any other than England to do so. That's not me being arrogant, but just a basic assessment of the respective standings of the teams.

It'd take a real car crash for us not to qualify now, which is why it's good to see The FA are lining up some friendlies which will test this team before Euro 2016....

England will take on UEFA Euro 2016 hosts France and world champions Germany after The FA finalised negotiations with the FFF and DFB.

The FA is also in discussions with European title-holders Spain and World Cup semi-finalists the Netherlands following positive talks with the RFEF and KNVB. Those fixtures would take place prior to the Euros and further details will follow.

This potential quartet of international fixtures will complement England’s final qualifying matches for the UEFA European Championship, with Roy Hodgson’s men six points clear at the top of Group E.

Subject to UEFA Euro qualification, Hodgson’s side face France at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on 17 November next year, kick-off 8pm, and play Germany away in March 2016.

The FA has already announced fixtures against Italy (venue TBC) on Tuesday 31 March and Republic of Ireland at Dublin’s Aviva Stadium Sunday 7 June.

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/nov/england-to-play-france-and-germany

The beauty of the 24-team tournament is that it's giving those mid-ranking nations a realistic chance of qualifying, or at least getting into a playoff. You've only got to look at the fact that all the nations of the British Isles are in with a real shot of getting to the tournament now, whereas before it would take an exceptional performance for any other than England to do so. That's not me being arrogant, but just a basic assessment of the respective standings of the teams.

Yes, I agree. 24 teams make it a lot more exciting :). It's also a lot fairer as the previous 16-team tournament was just a tournament with the best teams of Europe, those who were expected to qualify. The next Euro gives a much better representation of Europe. It's quite nice to see that we're hosting the first Euro of this kind. I'll definitely go watch some games and you can count on us to make it a great mess...!

I share the excitement of the British Isles teams, and it would have been a real pity not to have teams like -for instance- Wales in an intl tournament, with players like Gareth Bale or Aaron Ramsey. At least now they do , as you said, have a real chance.

I still don't like the idea of the 24 Country Tournament for the UEFA Euro's. It's easier with the 16 Country Tournament, with Group Stage, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and The Final. With the 24 Country Tournament, You have to do the Best 3rd Placed Countries etc, it's easier with a 16 Country Tournament.

• 4 months later...

Montenegro v Russia resumes after flare hits Akinfeev

The Euro 2016 qualifier between hosts Montenegro and Russia resumed following a 35-minute delay after Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev was hit on the head by a flare in the first minute of the match on Friday.

Akinfeev had to be wheeled off on a stretcher and, according Eastern European TV channel Sport Klub, was conscious when he was taken to hospital after being hit by a flare thrown by a fan from a section of the ground holding Montenegro supporters.

German referee Deniz Aytekin ordered the teams back into the dressing rooms after the incident and the stadium announcer said the Group G match would be abandoned if there was any more crowd trouble.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/1-soccer-montenegro-v-russia-resumes-flare-hits-203442518--sow.html

Montenegro v Russia resumes after flare hits Akinfeev

The Euro 2016 qualifier between hosts Montenegro and Russia resumed following a 35-minute delay after Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev was hit on the head by a flare in the first minute of the match on Friday.

Akinfeev had to be wheeled off on a stretcher and, according Eastern European TV channel Sport Klub, was conscious when he was taken to hospital after being hit by a flare thrown by a fan from a section of the ground holding Montenegro supporters.

German referee Deniz Aytekin ordered the teams back into the dressing rooms after the incident and the stadium announcer said the Group G match would be abandoned if there was any more crowd trouble.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/1-soccer-montenegro-v-russia-resumes-flare-hits-203442518--sow.html

A European championship qualifying match between Montenegro and Russia has been abandoned following a brawl between the two teams' players.

After Russia's Roman Shirokov missed a penalty in the 66th minute with the score at 0-0, players and staff from both teams shoved one another.

The Russian players then left the pitch, later followed by the Montenegrin team. A stadium announcement said the match would not resume.

The match had previously been suspended for 30 minutes after Russian goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev was hit by a flare thrown from the stands.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/08ff97114ee44493a045033ed419c76e/montenegro-russia-qualifier-abandoned-after-brawl

Group A

Kazakhstan 0-3 Iceland

Czech Rep 1-1 Latvia

Netherlands 1-1 Turkey

1- Czech Rep 13 pts

2- Iceland 12

3- Netherlands 7

4- Turkey 5

5- Latvia 3

6- Kazakhstan 1

Group B

Israel 0-3 Wales