Euro 2016 Qualification

gotosy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like this already done, after one game. Ridiculous.

We've beaten the hardest team in our group away from home and the new qualification rules are so lenient that it should be cruise control from here to France. I think the FA are going to have trouble filling Wembley because this new qualification system offers no sense of jeopardy or competition for the better teams. I guess that's the flipside of allowing more teams to qualify.

I feel like this already done, after one game. Ridiculous.

We've beaten the hardest team in our group away from home and the new qualification rules are so lenient that it should be cruise control from here to France. I think the FA are going to have trouble filling Wembley because this new qualification system offers no sense of jeopardy or competition for the better teams. I guess that's the flipside of allowing more teams to qualify.

Yeah, but remember, this IS England that we're talking about. You never know....

Yeah, but remember, this IS England that we're talking about. You never know....

England have qualified for every World Cup and Euros since Euro 1996 with the exception of one (that's nine out of ten tournaments in that time). And qualification for the Euros is now easier than it ever was. England's failure has always been at tournaments, not in trying to qualify for them.

I'll be stunned if this qualification process isn't a cakewalk for the favourites in most groups.

England have qualified for every World Cup and Euros since Euro 1996 with the exception of one (that's nine out of ten tournaments in that time). And qualification for the Euros is now easier than it ever was. England's failure has always been at tournaments, not in trying to qualify for them.

I'll be stunned if this qualification process isn't a cakewalk for the favourites in most groups.

Really depends on the group. Look at Germany's 3 teams that are fighting for 2nd place. In a fair few other groups each of those 3 would have been favoured for 2nd. England is not free and clear, tricky games at Estonia and Slovenia are not going to be cakewalks. Group F is a potential toss up between 4 teams with already one surprise in NI beating Hungary. Group G is similar in that any combination of 4 teams wouldn't be too surprising. Albania beat Portugal away and Denmark nearly cocked things up already too.

I also think they should have stayed at 16 teams, and not 24 to til finals. It will as you say be to easy for top seeded. They are not in danger. Yes, Portugal lost home Against Albania. But I don´t think they will have any trouble to qualify, because top 3 in every Group has either direct qualification or a second chance. But for a Whole Group of middle countries there are a lot in stake, Iceland who was close to World Cup qualification, Finland, and probably a lot Eastern countries has chances that they didn´t have before. But for the biggest countries there are no exitement.

Another thought, what abot the very small countries. Do they have a European championschip? If you take the 8 smallest countries it could be a bit a fun for them to compete against other small sometimes. I think of the following 8 (All under 1 million inhabitants): Faroe Island, Iceland, Malta, Gibraltar, Andorra, Lichenstein, Luxembourg, San Marino. If not, whouldn´t it be fun for them to compete in the odd years (2015, 2019 etc). It matches up with 2 Groups, semifinals and finals. Then some of them will have some succes in stead of allways Loose. There a games for the small countries, but football is not one of the sports there. Well just a thought I had.

Another thought, what abot the very small countries. Do they have a European championschip? If you take the 8 smallest countries it could be a bit a fun for them to compete against other small sometimes. I think of the following 8 (All under 1 million inhabitants): Faroe Island, Iceland, Malta, Gibraltar, Andorra, Lichenstein, Luxembourg, San Marino. If not, whouldn´t it be fun for them to compete in the odd years (2015, 2019 etc). It matches up with 2 Groups, semifinals and finals. Then some of them will have some succes in stead of allways Loose. There a games for the small countries, but football is not one of the sports there. Well just a thought I had.

Well, there's this, but not for football:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_of_the_Small_States_of_Europe

Also, the increase was a part of Platini's presidential campaign to gain votes, simple as that. Had nothing to do with giving Iceland or Finland od whoever a chance to shine.

Happy with England's result against Switzerland (2-0 to England). Hardest Game of our Group, we Won. Should be easy against San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia and hopefully Switzerland at Wembley Stadium.

I'm surprised that Portugal lost to Albania. Also, it was hard to predict Gibraltar's result, as that was the First Competitive Match for Gibraltar.

Happy with England's result against Switzerland (2-0 to England). Hardest Game of our Group, we Won. Should be easy against San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia and hopefully Switzerland at Wembley Stadium.

I'm surprised that Portugal lost to Albania. Also, it was hard to predict Gibraltar's result, as that was the First Competitive Match for Gibraltar.

LOL, what else was to be expected from Gibraltar? That they'd be a sleeping football super power, only blocked by Spain for decades for fear of them as rivals to the various titles?

They're a bunch of amateurs, not unlike the Faroese when they shockingly beat Austria in their first Euro campaign 1990/1991. A freak result here and there, but 0-7 more likely again soon.

I'm not surprised about Iceland beating Turkey 3-0. Iceland are becoming a decent side. I can see Iceland making it into UEFA Euro 2016 via the Play-Offs.

• 4 weeks later...

Group G

Sweden 1-1 Russia

Liechteinstein 0-0 Montenegro

Moldova 1-2 Austria

1- Russia 4 pts

2- Montenegro 4

3- Austria 4

4- Sweden 2

5- Liechtenstein 1

6- Moldova 0

Group C

Slovakia 2 - 1 Spain

Belarus 0 - 2 Ukraine

Macedonia 3 - 2 Luxemburg

1- Slovakia 6 pts

2- Spain 3

3- Ukraine 3

4- Macedonia 3

5- Luxembourg 1

6- Belarus 1

I was amazed when people told me qualification was going to be shitty.

I thought otherwise, with the top 3 qualifiers, good little teams and underperforming teams will still give 100 % even after 5 matches because they will be hope for them.

Group B

Belgium 6-0 Andorra

Cyprus 1-2 Israel

Wales 0-0 Bosnia Herzegovina

1- Wales 4 pts

2- Belgium 3

3- Cyprus 3

4- Israel 3

5- Bosnia Herzegovina 1

6- Andorra 0

Group A

Netherlands 3 - 1 Kazakhstan