FIFA should now strip Russia of 2018

baron-pierreIV

The Allies will know how to squeeze FIFA if they want to.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't doubt certain influential people's ability to put pressure on FIFA. I doubt FIFA's willingness to cave in to that pressure and do the right thing. That's where I'm not expecting to see results.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad thing about this is that I don't know that any of these people have an end game in mind.

FIFA is never going to strip Russia of the world cup. If the western world wants to dump FIFA and adopt a different governing body for football (UEFA?) and boycott Russia and Qatar then fine. But why waste a lot of time and effort angrily demanding something that will never happen?

The economic sanctions are never going to be a big deal either. The USA is being careful not to take any serious sanctions against Russia because it is afraid of damaging American business in Russia. Europe's response is even more toothless.

And then there's Russia, which seems to be trying to restart the cold war.

The only country benefiting from this is China.

This is all Fifa's fault. Blatter's fault.

All because of Sports and Politics mixing together. Russia and Qatar shouldn't have even been allowed to Bid, let alone Host. They even want to cut the number of Stadiums used, different to there Original Bid. Qatar has even spoke about some Matches being held in Bahrain and United Arab Emirates etc. It's just one big mess.

All because of Sports and Politics mixing together. Russia and Qatar shouldn't have even been allowed to Bid, let alone Host. They even want to cut the number of Stadiums used, different to there Original Bid. Qatar has even spoke about some Matches being held in Bahrain and United Arab Emirates etc. It's just one big mess.

But think of all the money FIFA execs have earned (ill gotten or not).

And think of all the fun you and a billion other fans will have watching the matches in 2018 and 2022.

Russia does NOT want to cut the number if stadiums, FIFA asked for the cut but was told off one or two weeks ago. Once again, get your facts straight.

And while you're at it...evidence for Qatar's supposed suggestion about Bahrain and UAE, please?

Just heard on the news that the EU is considering long term sanctions against Russia and forcing FIFA to cancel the 2018 WC got a mention if the situation in Ukraine doesn't settle down in time.

A World Cup bid is not like an Olympic bid. The venue plan is a lot more hypothetical. Russia had 16 or 18 potential cities/stadiums listed in their bid. It is after a bid wins that the consultation between FIFA and the host to determine final cities/stadiums.

Qatar never suggested using other Gulf states. The media and some FIFA members have mused about it with Qatar reacting angrily that no one but Qatar will host.

I was wondering how long would it take for Russia to start bullying again the baltics like in old times.

Guess it didn't took that long. :I

In fact, I fear after Ukraine, Estonia and Latvia might be Russia next targets. Since both have between 25-27% of russian population (which is a considerable minority) Russia can always bring up the excuse of "protecting" their citizens in a foreign country like they did in Ukraine. Not mentioning Latvia is totally dependant of Russia's gas (100% of their gas comes from there)

Lithuania is the one with less chances of being picked on since the percentage of russians is much lower than its other siblings.

^^ A territory which was prussian but the Russians took over, by the way.

I wonder how would they react if Germany used the same rethoric they use with Ukraine (you know, all that crap of Kievan Rus being the first russian state to justify that Ukraine should belong to Russia) against them to take back Koningsburg

FIFA is never going to strip Russia of the world cup. If the western world wants to dump FIFA and adopt a different governing body for football (UEFA?) and boycott Russia and Qatar then fine. But why waste a lot of time and effort angrily demanding something that will never happen?

what? :lol: UEFA cannot "take over" FIFA's place, UEFA is only the european continent football union lol, it has the same status as 5 other continental confederations and they all together make FIFA.

Also, the "western world" (whatever that encompases for you) cannot "dump" FIFA, at the very best the countries you have in your mind (I assume you mean US + EU) would leave FIFA and make a new international federation of their own or whatever. But remember there's still like 150 other countries in the world that give a **** about this situation and have no reason to leave or try to dismantle FIFA.

what? :lol: UEFA cannot "take over" FIFA's place, UEFA is only the european continent football union lol, it has the same status as 5 other continental confederations and they all together make FIFA.

UEFA has been discussing allowing teams outside of Europe to play in its tournaments. For the record CONMEBOL already allows CONCACAF teams to play in its Copa America. There's nothing stopping CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, etc from creating a tournament and inviting teams from other confederations to play in it.

Also, the "western world" (whatever that encompases for you) cannot "dump" FIFA, at the very best the countries you have in your mind (I assume you mean US + EU) would leave FIFA and make a new international federation of their own or whatever. But remember there's still like 150 other countries in the world that give a **** about this situation and have no reason to leave or try to dismantle FIFA.

And those countries are not the primary producers of football players or revenue. If Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, etc all left then FIFA would be in trouble.

The real problem is that the continental confederations are corrupt too. But if they were not, then UEFA, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF could easily work together against FIFA.

UEFA has been discussing allowing teams outside of Europe to play in its tournaments. For the record CONMEBOL already allows CONCACAF teams to play in its Copa America. There's nothing stopping CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, etc from creating a tournament and inviting teams from other confederations to play in it.

May I ask which teams UEFA was discussing and which tournaments? I've never heard of that.

And those countries are not the primary producers of football players or revenue. If Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, etc all left then FIFA would be in trouble.

The real problem is that the continental confederations are corrupt too. But if they were not, then UEFA, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF could easily work together against FIFA.

Brazil and Argentina have no dog in this fight, they didn't vote to impose any sanctions on Russia. In fact, Brazil is part of the BRICS with Russia, so I doubt they would do that unless Russia starts a crazy all-out world war or sth, which I doubt will happen.

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF (except the US/Canada) have no reason to leave FIFA because of Russia being awarded the WC. So basically, we would end having two world cups, one with boycotting Europe + US/Australia/Japan and another one with all the rest of the world... and both would be **** because of this split.

May I ask which teams UEFA was discussing and which tournaments? I've never heard of that.

One example:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/euro-2020-report-brazil-play-european-championship-064916858--sow.html

The obvious way to spin this is to create a tournament with Europe and European colonies. Brazil would be eligible as a Portuguese-speaking colony of that European country. Argentina would be eligible as a former colony of Spain. Australia would be eligible as a former colony of the UK. And so on.

Brazil and Argentina have no dog in this fight, they didn't vote to impose any sanctions on Russia. In fact, Brazil is part of the BRICS with Russia, so I doubt they would do that unless Russia starts a crazy all-out world war or sth, which I doubt will happen.

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF (except the US/Canada) have no reason to leave FIFA because of Russia being awarded the WC. So basically, we would end having two world cups, one with boycotting Europe + US/Australia/Japan and another one with all the rest of the world... and both would be **** because of this split.

It isn't about Russia. It's about getting rid of the most corrupt organization in all of sports. Brazilians in particular are pretty angry with FIFA because of the cost of the World Cup.

Archived