FIFA should now strip Russia of 2018

baron-pierreIV

ENGLAND HAVE WAITED LONGER! What can't You understand. It's unfair for America to Host so soon.

Russia has not even hosted the event Tony England has always been pissed that Russia beat them and they already hosted back in 1966, So what it's North America only 3 countries could host the event there Canada, USA and Mexico there are more comp in Europe for the FIFA.hosting rights.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter who has waited longer. This isn't kindergarten Tony. It's the real world. It ain't always fair.

I agree Tony needs to man up and deal with the real world before he finish school the last year of School he is 17 which is year 12 last year of School in Australia should all be about growing and transitional year to adulthood to go into the big wide world, The world is not fair Bill Gates and Malcolm Fraser said that. My year 9 and 10 which I was 14 to 15 years old at the time 2008 - 2009 humanities (Society and Environment) teacher, She made us grow up and she did not care about none of this is fair stuff I'm glad about that and non of this PC everyone is an winner crap teacher you seemed to have in Schools in the UK and the USA now.

I agree Tony needs to man up and deal with the real world before he finish school the last year of School he is 17 which is year 12 last year of School in Australia should all be about growing and transitional year to adulthood to go into the big wide world, The world is not fair Bill Gates and Malcolm Fraser said that. My year 9 and 10 which I was 14 to 15 years old at the time 2008 - 2009 humanities (Society and Environment) teacher, She made us grow up and she did not care about none of this is fair stuff I'm glad about that and non of this PC everyone is an winner crap teacher you seemed to have in Schools in the UK and the USA now.

You are the last person to tell Tony to man up. Really.

Wow, I can't tell you how shocked I am that someone suggested putting the 2018 World Cup in another country and when it's suggested that country should be the United States that Tony suggested England. You know what everyone.. lay off Tony for this one. He was practically baited into this discussion and if we're talking about the hypothetical where a country other than Russia hosts the 2018 World Cup, England is in the picture on that one. IMO, they're in the picture much more than the United States if we're talking 2018. Tony is not wrong. Don't jump all over his response just because it's coming from him.

That said.. the 2018 World Cup is going to be in Russia. We've been talking for years about the mechanism by which FIFA could strip Qatar of 2022 hosting rights. Considering what a quagmire that has become, how exactly would that work for 2018? Because we suddenly decided we don't agree with their politics, we're going to take the World Cup away from them? Was their bribery and corruption involved with their win? (There probably was, but you need to prove that first, you can't just assume it was true). If FIFA wasn't so embroiled in the Qatar mess, maybe they could focus more on Russia. Which is to say the best thing that could have happened to Russia is for an even more controversial host to get 2022, and that's exactly what happened. Russia has the money and the means to build all the required stadia and host the world in grand fashion. As many of us are Westerners, we can mostly agree that Russia does not deserve this honor, but it's easy to say it should be taken away from them. It's a lot harder to take action, and not just because of the idea of pissing off a large nation with a prominent political leader.

I don't see this happening. Maybe it should, but 'should' rarely comes into play when these things are involved. The 2018 World Cup is going to be held in Russia and there's very little that can change that fact.

Oh, I think FIFA will be feeling the weight to totally rescind the outcome of their farce 2010 election -- especially Russia first. I think Blatter is just reeling from what Russia is doing and the FIFA inner circle is totally confused.

Again, that's the issue though.. they're so busy figuring out what to do with 2022 that they (and the rest of the world) have paid little attention to 2018. Even though Russia's World Cup comes before Qatar's, which one has gotten the attention and the priority? That's why I was saying the best thing that could have happened for Russia would be for an even more objectionable host to be awarded 2022. How does Russia look up against Qatar?

So the question remains how do you strip Russia of their World Cup? Claims of bribery and corruption just scratch the surface of what is wrong with Qatar. You have empty promises (air-conditioned stadiums and the like) involved, calendar changes, human rights violations, and so much more to pile onto that heap. What do you have for Russia? That you're not a fan of Putin? Okay, but how does that lead to them getting stripped of the World Cup and for it to be re-awarded to another country? Look at how long the process is taking to play out with Qatar. Now look at that with Russia, but you have 4 fewer years to get it done. It's too late for that. People were questioning Qatar from the day they won that vote. Russia didn't get the same degree of criticism, so it rings hollow to try and look at it now that within the last year (and in large part because of the Olympics), the world discovered we don't like Russia's politics. That's not cause for them to be stripped of the 2018 World Cup.

The only way I can see Russia getting stripped off 2018 really is that the security situation would deteriorate in such a fashion that some teams would refuse to travel.

But as long as the fighting happens outside Russia's borders, there's little basis for security concerns within Russia. And I don't mean that cynically.

Again, that's the issue though.. they're so busy figuring out what to do with 2022 that they (and the rest of the world) have paid little attention to 2018. Even though Russia's World Cup comes before Qatar's, which one has gotten the attention and the priority? That's why I was saying the best thing that could have happened for Russia would be for an even more objectionable host to be awarded 2022. How does Russia look up against Qatar?

So the question remains how do you strip Russia of their World Cup? Claims of bribery and corruption just scratch the surface of what is wrong with Qatar. You have empty promises (air-conditioned stadiums and the like) involved, calendar changes, human rights violations, and so much more to pile onto that heap. What do you have for Russia? That you're not a fan of Putin? Okay, but how does that lead to them getting stripped of the World Cup and for it to be re-awarded to another country? Look at how long the process is taking to play out with Qatar. Now look at that with Russia, but you have 4 fewer years to get it done. It's too late for that. People were questioning Qatar from the day they won that vote. Russia didn't get the same degree of criticism, so it rings hollow to try and look at it now that within the last year (and in large part because of the Olympics), the world discovered we don't like Russia's politics. That's not cause for them to be stripped of the 2018 World Cup.

Ehh. There are always extenuating circumstances. Russia is acting as a very aggressive, invading nation now. Their allies and friends already shot down a civilian jetliner w/ no involvement in their quarrel. And that's the WHOLE POINT. That's why countries like Russia will continue on their aggressive, invasive behavior because they will get to keep 'prestige' projects like the World Cup. Hosting an int'l event comes with the unspoken parameters that you will behave as a civilized country and responsible member of the family of nations in and our of hosting mode. They are the aggressor. They are NOT being invaded. But this is my view. I think we will see an escalation of calls for 2018 to be removed from Russia in the coming weeks and months. I mean, c'mon it's 1980 all over again.

Ehh. There are always extenuating circumstances. Russia is acting as a very aggressive, invading nation now. Their allies and friends already shot down a civilian jetliner w/ no involvement in their quarrel. And that's the WHOLE POINT. That's why countries like Russia will continue on their aggressive, invasive behavior because they will get to keep 'prestige' projects like the World Cup. Hosting an int'l event comes with the unspoken parameters that you will behave as a civilized country and responsible member of the family of nations in and our of hosting mode. They are the aggressor. They are NOT being invaded. But this is my view. I think we will see an escalation of calls for 2018 to be removed from Russia in the coming weeks and months. I mean, c'mon it's 1980 all over again.

1980 was during the Cold War. So I don't think 2014 is necessarily comparable. Obviously I can't speak to having lived through that era, but from what I know of the 1980 Olympic boycott, it was President Carter who got directly involved because he viewed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan as a major security threat. I'll certainly grant you there are similar circumstances with today, but I don't think it will result in action being taken.

I agree that Russia probably shouldn't have another high profile event, but think back to the political overtones surrounding Sochi. A big deal was made of the LGBT laws and the like and once the Olympics were over (and IMO they faded into history very quickly), it wasn't a hot button issue anymore. So I think there's an element here where political leaders probably haven't taken note yet simply because 2018 is too far out. And by the time they did make a stink about it, it would be too late.

Remember, it was FIFA who awarded Russia the 2018 World Cup. Only FIFA can take it away from them. I just don't see enough animus building against Russia to the point that FIFA is compelled to act. And not to belabor the point, but again, that's where Qatar helps Russia's cause. You talk of extenuating circumstances, but it's FIFA that has to acknowledge those. I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Get Your America Blinders off. Just because America is big in land, doesn't mean it should automatically receive any event they Bid for. England last Hosted in 1966. America 1994. England should get a second World Cup before America IMO, especially since America Hosted more recently then England.

We have Stadiums. 3 of the Best Stadiums in the World (Wembley Stadium, Emirates Stadium and Old Trafford). Others only need minor improvements. We would be ready even in 2 Years, let alone 3 Years. We have had to wait longer. Call me bias, but the figures show. America weren't even Bidding for 2018. Russia should be banned from Football. Absolutely. Again, 1994 = 20 Years ago, 1966 = 48 Years ago. Do the maths. England had to wait longer.

America also has stadiums iirc. A lot of stadiums, actually. And if you really want to talk about waiting and geopolitics, why don't we pull out your list of future Oly hosts, eh? 12 years of waiting for Europe and a lot more waiting for the rest of the world. A lot.

Back on topic-

iirc, FIFA is labeled as the extremely corrupt organization on these boards. Unless there is some sort of WW3, I highly doubt FIFA would be willing to forfeit the luxuries Russia has to offer.

As much as I would love to see the games stripped from them and see either Australia or a European country host I doubt it would happen.

1980 was during the Cold War. So I don't think 2014 is necessarily comparable. Obviously I can't speak to having lived through that era, but from what I know of the 1980 Olympic boycott, it was President Carter who got directly involved because he viewed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan as a major security threat. I'll certainly grant you there are similar circumstances with today, but I don't think it will result in action being taken.

I agree that Russia probably shouldn't have another high profile event, but think back to the political overtones surrounding Sochi. A big deal was made of the LGBT laws and the like and once the Olympics were over (and IMO they faded into history very quickly), it wasn't a hot button issue anymore. So I think there's an element here where political leaders probably haven't taken note yet simply because 2018 is too far out. And by the time they did make a stink about it, it would be too late.

Remember, it was FIFA who awarded Russia the 2018 World Cup. Only FIFA can take it away from them. I just don't see enough animus building against Russia to the point that FIFA is compelled to act. And not to belabor the point, but again, that's where Qatar helps Russia's cause. You talk of extenuating circumstances, but it's FIFA that has to acknowledge those. I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

The fact that Putin is threatening to bomb the West is bringing us back into the Cold War. Russia is most powerful when other nations surrounding it feel insecure. Putin wants the Cold War again because he wants Russia to be a superpower once more. It is all built up on insecurities and as long as they have them then they have power. Taking the games from them and further reducing their international power would force Russia into submission.

The LGBT thing was only eclipsed by Ukraine.

In terms of teams not competing in Russia, I can't see how the Netherlands can possibly field a team in 2018. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of them playing in a country that was directly responsible for the mass murder of 150 or so Dutch citizens.

In terms of teams not competing in Russia, I can't see how the Netherlands can possibly field a team in 2018. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of them playing in a country that was directly responsible for the mass murder of 150 or so Dutch citizens.

And don't forget the Russians also shot down the Korean jet in 1983. And Putin knows very well the adventurism he is engaging in. I mean what was that 5-nation meeting in Minsk the other day for? Just photo opps?? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that the US will lead the boycott...

I have a feeling that the US will lead the boycott...

Do you honestly see a nation like the Netherlands or the United States refusing to play in the World Cup because it's in Russia? As things stand now, I can't see any way that happens. We heard this talk in the lead-up to the Olympics in Sochi. And what came of it? Nothing. Ukraine still sent athletes to the Paralympics even after their country got invaded. You think the Malaysia jet is going to be an exception? Boycotts aren't going to help the issue here. They would need a whole lot of nations to boycott the World Cup in order for that to happen. And remember. the World Cup is merely the culmination of 2 years of soccer competition, so if you're talking about boycotting the World Cup, a nation would have to decide that BEFORE they start qualifying less they look really sleazy in trying to make a statement.

Unless Russia is currently or in the near further involved in a full-scale invasion of Ukraine I doubt 2018 will be played anywhere else but Russia. If it comes to that for 2018 the most likely replacement hosts are France, Germany, USA, or England. Given the FAs opinion of FIFA right now I think they wouldn't touch it. France would be my best guess.

Russians are Russian sympathizers are very strong in a majority of the federations and within the IOC. The Russian IOC members have been considered king-makers for about a decade now. Some credit them with London's victory over Paris for instance

Russians are Russian sympathizers are very strong in a majority of the federations and within the IOC. The Russian IOC members have been considered king-makers for about a decade now. Some credit them with London's victory over Paris for instance

Yeah of course but that's the IOC. Do they control the BPL or the NFL the two biggest sports leagues in the world? No so in reality it's just the biggest sporting event in the world they control but not the rest of the sporting world

I wonder what FIFA would do if an alternate tournament were organized at the same time as the World Cup. (Perhaps a "Heritage Cup" to be played in England?) Because that's the only way to get countries to intentionally flunk out of World Cup qualification.

Yeah of course but that's the IOC. Do they control the BPL or the NFL the two biggest sports leagues in the world? No so in reality it's just the biggest sporting event in the world they control but not the rest of the sporting world

Those are domestic sports leagues. You clearly have no concept of how sports politics work.

Archived