Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid Support Slips

GBModerator

I'm wondering if the problem with the 2022 race is actually something the IOC should worry about less than the next one for 2026.

If Oslo pulls out, there's two less than fancy choices, but I guess somehow 2022 will be doable anyway. However, who should line up for 2026?

IOC does not seem keen on Southern hemisphere Winter Games. North America seems to eye Summer Games instead and if e.g. LA gets 2024, surely there won't be a US bid for 2026, not sure Canada would try. As for "traditional" Europe, also likely to go for Summer Games instead, if at all given the recent public opinion polls and referendums. And three times Asia? 2026 may well be even more of a nightmare than 2022.

I'm wondering if the problem with the 2022 race is actually something the IOC should worry about less than the next one for 2026.

If Oslo pulls out, there's two less than fancy choices, but I guess somehow 2022 will be doable anyway. However, who should line up for 2026?

IOC does not seem keen on Southern hemisphere Winter Games. North America seems to eye Summer Games instead and if e.g. LA gets 2024, surely there won't be a US bid for 2026, not sure Canada would try. As for "traditional" Europe, also likely to go for Summer Games instead, if at all given the recent public opinion polls and referendums. And three times Asia? 2026 may well be even more of a nightmare than 2022.

There is Barcelona Spain/Catalonia they are planning an bid for the 2026 games if no one city wants it and Almaty Kazakhstan get's 2022 it could be Harbin or Beijing China vs Barcelona Spain/Catalonia for the 2026 race,

I'm torn on this one because I'm caught between the reality of what these polls are suggesting and the fact that polls aren't always an accurate representation of public opinion, particularly with something like this. Maybe it's my bias as an American to assume the populace is ill-informed, but I still get the sense that a lot of opposition in Norway is based on what they saw from Sochi (and Beijing) and they don't want that to deal with that hassle. I'm betting what they're envisioning isn't so bad as what Oslo would actually be able to pull off, but is it worth the risk?

And to FYI's point.. as a New Yorker, I would love to see an Olympics here. But by the same token, I saw what happened when the Super Bowl was in town back in February and what it did to local public transportation (which had a direct effect on my commute to work). So I can understand where some people would be excited about the prospect of an Olympics in their hometown, but might not want to deal with the hassles involved.

Polls all have a margin of error. I don't know what that margin is for the poll in question, but I can't imagine it's more than a few points. There's no way support is really at 55% percent and they somehow got 30% by mistake.

Whether the public opinion is based on correct information or not, it can't be dismissed. The fact that the numbers are continuing to move in the wrong direction makes it clear that the pro-Olympic camp is failing to get their message across. In this situation, I don't know that right/wrong, truth/misconception really make a whole lot of difference. Whatever their reasons, the Norwegian people don't want the Olympics and they are becoming increasingly definitive about it.

Like it or not, that's the reality.

Polls all have a margin of error. I don't know what that margin is for the poll in question, but I can't imagine it's more than a few points. There's no way support is really at 55% percent and they somehow got 30% by mistake.

Whether the public opinion is based on correct information or not, it can't be dismissed. The fact that the numbers are continuing to move in the wrong direction makes it clear that the pro-Olympic camp is failing to get their message across. In this situation, I don't know that right/wrong, truth/misconception really make a whole lot of difference. Whatever their reasons, the Norwegian people don't want the Olympics and they are becoming increasingly definitive about it.

Like it or not, that's the reality.

It's way to soon for another Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games in Norway and they still got 2016 Youth Games which the IOC pushed them for 2 years to host it. They got to the stage of hosted too much and don't want it until another 40 more years we are talking about an country of 5 million people who hosted the IOC 3 times in 64 years and 2022 would be the 4th in 70 years they may love winter sports but you get to an point where you hosted to much and takes an on an fatigue in people. Maybe in another 40 years Norway will host another Winter Games it is the only place in Scandinavia which could host an 21st century Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Also there is fatigue right now with China hosting events they hosted many events in the past 8 years and still got an few more things to host Kazakhstan is the only places without the fatigue they hosted an amazing Asian Winter Games and got two events in 2017 World Expo and Winter University Games and 2022 could be host 2 events the Olympics and Paralympics Games so 5 big events in 11 years.

• Like 1

It's way to soon for another Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games in Norway and they still got 2016 Youth Games which the IOC pushed them for 2 years to host it. They got to the stage of hosted too much and don't want it until another 40 more years we are talking about an country of 5 million people who hosted the IOC 3 times in 64 years and 2022 would be the 4th in 70 years they may love winter sports but you get to an point where you hosted to much and takes an on an fatigue in people. Maybe in another 40 years Norway will host another Winter Games it is the only place in Scandinavia which could host an 21st century Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

If Your going to bring Population into the argument, China beats Kazakhstan.

Like many have said before, the IOC doesn't want Almaty 2022. Despite all the support for Istanbul 2020 (I didn't support Istanbul 2020, I supported Tokyo 2020), the IOC doesn't want to go to Istanbul, just like they don't want to go to Almaty. We are trying to tell You this GCL, but this information You aren't processing. Also, You mentioned Expo before. That's in Astana in 2017, not Almaty. Just like Astana got the credit for the 2011 Asian Winter Games, not Almaty. Just like Almaty only got the 2017 Winter Universiade because no one else Bidded. Look at the bigger picture and see why Almaty got those events and why they won't get these events.

I don't know if they are planning to, but Quebec City was kind of egged on to bid in 2026 by Rogge and that could be pretty cool. A not economic bombshell of an olympics in French Canada.

I don't know if they are planning to, but Quebec City was kind of egged on to bid in 2026 by Rogge and that could be pretty cool. A not economic bombshell of an olympics in French Canada.

Not going to happen an Quebec City winter Olympics the only way that Eastern 21st century North America winter games will happen is an joint bid with Montreal Canada for ICE events and Lake Placid USA for snow events and joint country bids are not allowed by the IOC.

The funny thing is, Calgary/Salt Lake could probably host the next four or five Winter Olympics, no problem.

I think the IOC will be telling and pushing Calgary Canada to make an bid for the 2026 Winter Games to keep up with the interest from Europe or there could be two Olympics and Paralympics Games in a row in the USA with Los Angeles California 2024 and Reno Nevada - Lake Tahoe 2026 and push for Calgary Canada in 2030 an USA 2026 and Canada 2030 will be great to keep and restore the Winter games movement so Europe will come back in the 2030s and want to bid for the winter games.

It could go like this

2022 Beijing China or Almaty Kazakhstan

2024 Los Angeles USA

2026 Reno - Lake Tahoe USA

2028 Berlin Germany

2030 Calgary Canada

apu.jpg

There you go, GCL.. since you think an Almaty Olympics would be great because it would be primetime for India. There's an opinion for you from India.

I think the IOC will be telling and pushing Calgary Canada to make an bid for the 2026 Winter Games to keep up with the interest from Europe or there could be two Olympics and Paralympics Games in a row in the USA with Los Angeles California 2024 and Reno Nevada - Lake Tahoe 2026 and push for Calgary Canada in 2030 an USA 2026 and Canada 2030 will be great to keep and restore the Winter games movement so Europe will come back in the 2030s and want to bid for the winter games.

The IOC doesn't push for bids. We'll get the empty rhetoric from a guy like Jacques Rogge saying he wants to see a bid, but it doesn't work that way. Salt Lake and Calgary may be interested in bidding (we know Salt Lake is interested in making another run), but if their NOC's aren't interested, it means nothing.

Would the IOC really reward the US 2024 AND 2026. I guess it depends on whether what city what country puts forward a bid.

Not unless they were faced with utter desperation. I'm not at all convinced the USOC would even WANT both 2024 and 2026. They've clearly made Summer Games the priority and based on all the groundwork that has gone into 2024, I think it's highly unlikely that they will turn around immediately and bid for 2026 -- even if the 2024 bid fails. They wouldn't have a fraction of the preparation time, among other things. I think a 2028 bid is far more likely if 2024 doesn't work out.

As of now, I have a feeling 2024 could well come back to the US. Durban's lack of experience and communication misfires make me nervous, especially in the wake of Rio. Paris seems unexcited and unlikely to bid. I think the US has a decent shot at beating everyone else (Germany, Italy, Turkey being the biggest potential challengers).

• Like 1

Not unless they were faced with utter desperation. I'm not at all convinced the USOC would even WANT both 2024 and 2026. They've clearly made Summer Games the priority and based on all the groundwork that has gone into 2024, I think it's highly unlikely that they will turn around immediately and bid for 2026 -- even if the 2024 bid fails. They wouldn't have a fraction of the preparation time, among other things. I think a 2028 bid is far more likely if 2024 doesn't work out.

As of now, I have a feeling 2024 could well come back to the US. Durban's lack of experience and communication misfires make me nervous, especially in the wake of Rio. Paris seems unexcited and unlikely to bid. I think the US has a decent shot at beating everyone else (Germany, Italy, Turkey being the biggest potential challengers).

I disagree. If a Berlin or Hamburg bid goes through and is strong the IOC will want to improve their European image. In my mind that would mean 2024 goes to Europe.

I disagree. If a Berlin or Hamburg bid goes through and is strong the IOC will want to improve their European image. In my mind that would mean 2024 goes to Europe.

Yeah, well, that would be the irony. If, as seems possible, we get both the US and at least one Western European bid, we get a race where the IOC will be faced with multiple bids it would be in it's interests to appease. And yet someone's still gonna lose and likely be further put off bidding in future. A win and lose situation whatever they happen to go with.

At least it's not a lose-lose-lose situation like 2022's looking now.

Edited by Sir Rols