Berlin To Unveil 2024 Games Bid

I really wish the best of luck to Berlin. If the olympicscepticism was already bad back in 2011, now it's even worse ALL THANKS TO SOCHI. So my fear is that the referendum might kill any intentions of keep going with this. I hope not.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The berlin olympic stadium is one of the most historic structures in, not just berlin, all of germany. It does not need to be bastardized by adding glowing lights, and replacing every nostalgia facto

IF it passes a referendum. IF

I wasn't speaking literally about climate. I was talking more in terms of ambiance and emotion. Australia or Spain or the US would offer a nicer contrast to Tokyo, IMO. Again this is purely subjective

I don't know German but from what I understand, Berlin's venue plan is weird, especially because they want to build a lot of new sport halls, and I think using more Messe halls would make more sense (maybe the venue doesn't have enough large halls though).

They're planning to build a new swimming venue, while using the one from 1936 for Water Polo and the other existing one (which hosted the European champs this summer) for Diving. Again, I think it could have been done in a more responsible way, by expanding the old 1936 pool and using it for Swimming, Synchronized Swimming and Diving, and using the other existing pool for Water Polo (and maybe even Diving or Synchronized if it's possible).

They're using Tempelhof for Beach Volleyball but having it take place on the lawn in front of the parliament would have made good TV imo.

I don't know German but from what I understand, Berlin's venue plan is weird, especially because they want to build a lot of new sport halls, and I think using more Messe halls would make more sense (maybe the venue doesn't have enough large halls though).

They're planning to build a new swimming venue, while using the one from 1936 for Water Polo and the other existing one (which hosted the European champs this summer) for Diving. Again, I think it could have been done in a more responsible way, by expanding the old 1936 pool and using it for Swimming, Synchronized Swimming and Diving, and using the other existing pool for Water Polo (and maybe even Diving or Synchronized if it's possible).

They're using Tempelhof for Beach Volleyball but having it take place on the lawn in front of the parliament would have made good TV imo.

The "other existing venue" did not host the swimming events of this year's Euros.

And the Reichstag lawn might look good on TV, buf I could imagine security reasons for not using it.

The "other existing venue" did not host the swimming events of this year's Euros.

And the Reichstag lawn might look good on TV, buf I could imagine security reasons for not using it.

Exactly, and Tempelhof makes sense given that it is turning more into a public park/gathering space.

That's how I imagine Lord David spends his weekends... In a double garage full of models of potential host cities.

Nope. Why should I? Am I Hitler (the portrayal of him of course) from The movie Downfall with Albert Speer looking at a scale model of Berlin? No, of course not.

So far all I have going on Olympic wise is the 2023 Pan Ams contest, which I only made a logo so far.

Berlin 2000 proposed a new swimming hall like Rio's plan. But the one which was built near the velodrome was scaled back in seating capacity.

Edited by Lord David

Nope. Why should I? Am I Hitler (the portrayal of him of course) from The movie Downfall with Albert Speer looking at a scale model of Berlin? No, of course not.

So far all I have going on Olympic wise is the 2023 Pan Ams contest, which I only made a logo so far.

Berlin 2000 proposed a new swimming hall like Rio's plan. But the one which was built near the velodrome was scaled back in seating capacity.

Funny thing is that the model is completely inaccurate, Hitlers plans were much different and larger. Lets not even go into what would have happened to Linz..

The only thing they got right in that model was the Volkshalle, Fuhrer Palace, and the Prachtallee's Arch of Triumph. Everything else was wrong (design wise).

And of course historic accuracy of the architecture models was the biggest problem of that movie...

The biggest problem, IMO, are the Enghlish subtitles. I don't speak German, but I suspect they didn't get them exactly correct. They need to sack the people hired for the subtitling and get YUTTE HERMSGERVØRDENBRØTBØRDA.

PS - Did I mention that A Møøse once bit my sister?