Melbourne Should Bid For Olympic Games

GBModerator

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine this the latest stunt of a fading state government facing election in November.

However, no other city in the world has the amazing array of state of the art venues, in parkland close to the CBD, that Melbourne has. It is a beautiful city and would put on an amazing Games.

I do wonder what 'time window' they would use for the Games. Melbourne is a bit colder (and at times wetter) than Sydney, and much further South. Sydney was Sept 15-Oct 01, but that would be a bit early for Melbourne. Tricky.

I do wonder what 'time window' they would use for the Games. Melbourne is a bit colder (and at times wetter) than Sydney, and much further South. Sydney was Sept 15-Oct 01, but that would be a bit early for Melbourne. Tricky.

Yep, that's one big elephant in the room.

Ask Qatar if they'd be cool if Melbourne was given an exemption from the IOC's July-August window.

That's why I always said the IOC screwed up by blaming the timing as Qatars major problem instead of well let's see (no alcohol, hatred of gays/women, no sporting legacy, etc).

As for Melbourne, it would be great but didn't John Coates already say it wasn't the time for Australia to bid again? Plus didn't he also say when we do bid it'll be with Brisbane? I know he said it 2 years ago but he hasn't said much about Melbourne and I also know Melbourne would have a better shot but still, if they want to bid, it'd be good to have his blessing.

Plus didn't he also say when we do bid it'll be with Brisbane? I know he said it 2 years ago but he hasn't said much about Melbourne and I also know Melbourne would have a better shot but still, if they want to bid, it'd be good to have his blessing.

Yep, he said that. And he said that directly in response to the question of the timing window and it's affect on Oz's future hosting chances. Words to the affect that Brisbane was the country's only viable bid in the future to fit in with that window.

Yep, he said that. And he said that directly in response to the question of the timing window and it's affect on Oz's future hosting chances. Words to the affect that Brisbane was the country's only viable bid in the future to fit in with that window.

Melbourne might have gotten away with the different months while Coates was just an IOC member but now that is the Vice President, it's going to look bad if they allow Melbourne but not Doha.

Melbourne urged to bid for 2028 Olympic Games

Melbourne should put in a bid to host the 2028 Olympic Games, according to the Committee for Melbourne.

The committee represents a group of academic, business and community leaders and offers policy advice to Government.

Its chief executive, Kate Roffey, said she planned to discuss the idea at the Sport in Victoria conference currently being held in the city.

"Melbourne has collectively the best array of sport facilities close to the CBD of any city in the world, so we're perfectly positioned to hold an Olympics Games," Ms Roffey said.

"We've got intellect to know how to run these sorts of major international events.

"When you've got those two things together, the branding and the value you can generate out of these events in terms of exposure and having people coming here is enormous."

Melbourne last hosted the Games in 1956, in an event that was widely considered as a coming of age for Australian sport as it was the first time the Games had been held in the southern hemisphere.

Premier Denis Napthine said he would support a bid for the Games, but the proposal is still in his infancy.

He believed Melbourne was ideally positioned to host major sporting events.

"The normal process is the city bids, with backing from state and federal government," Dr Napthine said.

"This matter will be considered, but I believe Melbourne and Victoria is well placed to put their hand up for a future Olympic Games down the track."

Opposition major events spokesman John Eren said Labor was open to the idea if it won Government this year.

"We used to be the sporting capital of the world, but we're second now to the UK, so we've lost our title and we need to get that back," Mr Eren told 774 ABC Melbourne.

"We have a lot of sporting infrastructure that already exists, there might be some fine tuning that needs to be made.

"Of course any major events like that we need to have a look at our infrastructure needs, but these sorts of ideas need to be floated and we're open to any suggestions and we'd be looking very carefully going forward in relation to announcing some policies."

Melbourne might have gotten away with the different months while Coates was just an IOC member but now that is the Vice President, it's going to look bad if they allow Melbourne but not Doha.

Even if he wasn't on the board, the IOC set a pretty firm precedent when they explicitly mentioned the scheduling among the reasons they cut Doha. Qatar would be justified in calling foul if any country now, not just Oz, was allowed to slide on that score.

That's why I always said the IOC screwed up by blaming the timing as Qatars major problem instead of well let's see (no alcohol, hatred of gays/women, no sporting legacy, etc).

It's called being diplomatic & politically correct. It's not like the IOC coulda thrown all that in their face (as true as it may be) & not received some sort of (political) backlash for it. It's like when, IDK, your daughter brings home some guy that you don't approve, but rather than saying the real reasons why he's not good enough for her; like he's a drunk, using, unemployed dirt-bag, you just rather say that she can do better. Anyone with any real insight coulda read between the "date" lines.

Even if he wasn't on the board, the IOC set a pretty firm precedent when they explicitly mentioned the scheduling among the reasons they cut Doha. Qatar would be justified in calling foul if any country now, not just Oz, was allowed to slide on that score.

But other than Melbourne, what other real credible option might there be outside the "preferred July-August" time-frame. Somewhere in SE Asia? Even that still is very iffy at this point.

It seems to be the general consensus that it's still too soon for Melbourne, & Australia in general anyway, for another Games anytime soon. And by the time "it's time" to go down-under again, the IOC most likely could've checked the Islamic map by then, with either Istanbul (or maybe even Dubai) for them to be too concerned over it.

I dunno. I still think it's an explicit precedent that they set, no matter if it was to cover for other reasons, and it's likely to blow back on them at some point down the track. I sure hope that at some point they'll re-address the issue and build in some wriggle room. Hey, they should probably bring that up at Bach's 2020 jamboree this December. But until when and if they do, they can't afford to flagrantly ignore their own directives and piss off a big constituency of theirs.

And remember, this is a big reason why Durban also has the wood over CT and Jo'burg when it comes to South Africa's Oly chances.

This is just political hot air. I can't imagine there is that much groundswell in Melbourne to support such an endeavour. Sydney 2000 aside, I think Melburnians would err more on the side of Munich sensibility than Madrid. That too - Melburnians are too proud to be a Madrid to Sydney's Barcelona.

I can certainly see a Melbourne bid in the next 20 years, but Australians would never flog a dead horse. One failed attempt, and we'll sideline for another 20 years.

Melbourne 2028 would just be an Australian Chicago 2016. Big hopes from a great, and capable city - but likely to get shafted.

All this aside - it is just too soon for Australia to host again. I would still get behind a bid, though! You never know!

While I would love to see another bid from Australia, and most likely back it over an American bid I think it is too soon for Australia. Now 2036 is a different story, I firmly believe Australia would win that bid year.

You can claim australia would firmly win in 2036- as much as I can't claim we don't have any chance for 2028.

In order for Australia to get a third Olympics, the Summer Games must go to Africa, return to North America and Europe. I think Tokyo getting 2020 may be a positive for Australia- but I think our biggest threat is China. I could see a Shanghai-Melbourne showdown in the 2030s- revenge for 2000 and I think they would have the edge.

My guess is that anywhere else in the Southern Hemisphere needs to step back until those (South) African Games have finally happened, probably within the next 20 years. And then at least one or two cycles further down the road, as I can't imagine the IOC going South twice in a row (probably also a reason why SA opted out of 2020).

As for the time window problem, the IOC will always change tune if they want to. Doha might cry out loud over it, but given that a Melbourne hosting (going by own comment in the previous paragraph) may only be realistic in 20-30 years, by then the political landscape in the Middle East (and the IOC) could be completely different anyway.

Then again, with al-Sabah being close to Bach, there might be some so far unimaginable things happening before it's time for Melbourne anyway.

It's called being diplomatic & politically correct. It's not like the IOC coulda thrown all that in their face (as true as it may be) & not received some sort of (political) backlash for it. It's like when, IDK, your daughter brings home some guy that you don't approve, but rather than saying the real reasons why he's not good enough for her; like he's a drunk, using, unemployed dirt-bag, you just rather say that she can do better. Anyone with any real insight coulda read between the "date" lines.

They don't need to throw it in their face. The IOC pressured countries like Saudi Arabia to allow women to be sent to the games. They should have said, while the country has immense wealth there are several areas they need to improve on.. and then in each section highlight the fact that the country makes it illegal for gays etc etc.

Yeah, we read between the lines but it doesn't mean countries can't kick up a fuss when they allow say Melbourne to bid with different months when they wouldn't let Doha. They dug themselves a hole.

While I would love to see another bid from Australia, and most likely back it over an American bid I think it is too soon for Australia. Now 2036 is a different story, I firmly believe Australia would win that bid year.

Why that year? What is so special about 2036 that 22 years away we can already predict an Australian city hosting???

https://www.facebook.com/IwakeupwithTODAY/photos/a.156573174377356.31212.130834060284601/818813861486614/?type=1&theater

Most viewers/fans/so forth on the Today Show Facebook page are really stupid. They keep asking why the likes of Hobart or Darwin isn't there or even mentioned. Well they're too small to host that's why. Some say Adelaide should host because of low traffic and other silly factors like that. They couldn't even land the 1998 Commonwealth Games, let alone an Olympics!

It's clear that only Brisbane (with a possible teaming with The Gold Coast this time round), Melbourne and Perth are the only cities in Australia that could be potentially put forward for any future Olympic bid.

As much as I'd like to see Melbourne land the games again, it probably won't be happening for a long long time.

Perhaps we should try to land other major sporting events instead? We haven't hosted or bid for a FIBA World Cup before, so why not try that? It could be Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and possibly the Gold Coast. Canberra would get a new 10,000 seater arena with Brisbane possibly getting a replacement for the Entertainment Centre.The Gold Coast would use the arena built for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

And remember, this is a big reason why Durban also has the wood over CT and Jo'burg when it comes to South Africa's Oly chances.

No argument there. But Durban is the city that the SASOC is pushing anyway precisely bcuz it makes the most sense all the way around for South Africa, including in the preferred July-August time-frame.

As for the time window problem, the IOC will always change tune if they want to. Doha might cry out loud over it, but given that a Melbourne hosting (going by own comment in the previous paragraph) may only be realistic in 20-30 years, by then the political landscape in the Middle East (and the IOC) could be completely different anyway.

Exactly. And who knows, by then even Brisbane (which hasn't hosted) can be up to the challenge, & their weather is ideal for the Olympics in July-August anyway.

They don't need to throw it in their face. The IOC pressured countries like Saudi Arabia to allow women to be sent to the games. They should have said, while the country has immense wealth there are several areas they need to improve on.. and then in each section highlight the fact that the country makes it illegal for gays etc etc.

Qatar was also one of the countries that was pressured, along with Saudi Arabia, to send female athletes to the Games. But that doesn't mean they're still not lacking in these areas. Sending just a handful of females to the Games for the first time in 2012 isn't something to be commended. Especially when they had to have their arm twisted to do so. It's definitely a start, but they still have a long way to go.

As far as the gay issue, the IOC has no direct clause on the matter. They hardly made any stance for it in Sochi. So they're not going to come out & say anything on such a touchy subject anyway, especially in that part of the world & for merely an applicant city, when it's just much easier to tell them something much simpler why they're not up-to-snuff. It happens all the time in the everyday world, not just with the IOC.

Yeah, we read between the lines but it doesn't mean countries can't kick up a fuss when they allow say Melbourne to bid with different months when they wouldn't let Doha. They dug themselves a hole.

Like Stefan & myself have mentioned; by the time Melbourne could be likely again, the political landscape in the Middle East could be different. And like I said earlier, Istanbul could've hosted already by then anyway, making any fuss that Doha might make down the line just a whistle in the wind. I just don't see how the IOC's 'dug themselves a hole' with this, as 'explicit' as the reason may be. When again, other than Melbourne, there's really not another top-notch likely candidate that could come out from the non-traditional time-frame window.

I don't think it's something that the IOC is thinking about on a daily basis. And it's most likely why the IOC chose to stick with that simple reason when ousting Doha TBW. Because other than maybe somewhere in SE Asia or India, it's not something that the IOC has to worry about anytime soon. And if the time does come that they do need to worry about it, they'll just amend their own rules as they see fit, as they usually do anyway.

It's clear that only Brisbane (with a possible teaming with The Gold Coast this time round), Melbourne and Perth are the only cities in Australia that could be potentially put forward for any future Olympic bid.

What's the big deal with Perth? How could they host the games? Over Sydney and Melbourne? And to a lesser extent Brisbane. Perth competing against Paris or a South African bid or a US bid? I don't even think Brisbane could do it, and I wish they could.

Qatar was also one of the countries that was pressured, along with Saudi Arabia, to send female athletes to the Games. But that doesn't mean they're still not lacking in these areas. Sending just a handful of females to the Games for the first time in 2012 isn't something to be commended. Especially when they had to have their arm twisted to do so. It's definitely a start, but they still have a long way to go.

As far as the gay issue, the IOC has no direct clause on the matter. They hardly made any stance for it in Sochi. So they're not going to come out & say anything on such a touchy subject anyway, especially in that part of the world & for merely an applicant city, when it's just much easier to tell them something much simpler why they're not up-to-snuff. It happens all the time in the everyday world, not just with the IOC.

Like Stefan & myself have mentioned; by the time Melbourne could be likely again, the political landscape in the Middle East could be different. And like I said earlier, Istanbul could've hosted already by then anyway, making any fuss that Doha might make down the line just a whistle in the wind. I just don't see how the IOC's 'dug themselves a hole' with this, as 'explicit' as the reason may be. When again, other than Melbourne, there's really not another top-notch likely candidate that could come out from the non-traditional time-frame window.

I don't think it's something that the IOC is thinking about on a daily basis. And it's most likely why the IOC chose to stick with that simple reason when ousting Doha TBW. Because other than maybe somewhere in SE Asia or India, it's not something that the IOC has to worry about anytime soon. And if the time does come that they do need to worry about it, they'll just amend their own rules as they see fit, as they usually do anyway.

I just mentioned the female athletes and the gay issue as examples. There were millions more examples the IOC could have used. Or they could have been vague. But no they had to blame the climate.

Yeah sure. The IOC should bend their rules whenever they want. They've done a great job in recent years. Cities are lining up all over the world to bid for the Olympics. No wait, they're not and by the looks of how Rio's preparation is going, more and more cities are going to be deterred.

How can you not realize that the IOC blocked themself in a corner. So you think when Melbourne bids (possibly for 2028) they'll say "yeah sure bid with october". And Qatar and other nations will say "that's cool, deny us our changed months but allow Melbourne, we still love the Olympics and won't cause a fuss cause we're such nice, friendly, welcoming people".

All the IOC needed to do was pick ONE fucking problem with Qatar, but now they've fucked Melbourne over or they've fucked Qatar and other countries who think the IOC should stick to their fucking rules! Either way someone is getting fucked.

Yeah sure. The IOC should bend their rules whenever they want. They've done a great job in recent years. Cities are lining up all over the world to bid for the Olympics. No wait, they're not and by the looks of how Rio's preparation is going, more and more cities are going to be deterred.

NONE of that has to do with Doha's denial & the dates, though, which is essentially what you're griping about. No one wants the Games, but here you are arguing for Melbourne. Go figure.

How can you not realize that the IOC blocked themself in a corner. So you think when Melbourne bids (possibly for 2028) they'll say "yeah sure bid with october". And Qatar and other nations will say "that's cool, deny us our changed months but allow Melbourne, we still love the Olympics and won't cause a fuss cause we're such nice, friendly, welcoming people".

I don't have to "realize" anything. You're making a mountain outta a molehill. Again, like myself & others have mentioned, the scenario you're describing are likely many years away. And Australia could go with Brisbane instead, which wouldn't be a problem in the IOC's new time preference. The landscape could be totally differnent by them.

All the IOC needed to do was pick ONE fucking problem with Qatar, but now they've fucked Melbourne over or they've fucked Qatar and other countries who think the IOC should stick to their fucking rules! Either way someone is getting fucked.

Lets keep in mind, that is was also rumored that NBC had something to do with the IOC's new 'preferred' timeframe. So perhaps it is they who really "fu@ked" everyone over. But at the same time, how is that possible, if according to you, no one wants the "fukcing" Games TBW. This "argument" of yours seems to be all pro-Melbourne, which again, seems very premature anyway.

Oh, noes! Qatar cries foul. You really think the IOC members would give a crap?

NONE of that has to do with Doha's denial & the dates, though, which is essentially what you're griping about. No one wants the Games, but here you are arguing for Melbourne. Go figure.

Cities are losing interest left, right and centre. And sure, why some members may not give a **** about small country Qatar losing interest in hosting, i'm sure other countries won't like the fact that the IOC is bending the rules for some countries. The IOC's reputation is already quite low, maybe they should not go around pissing countries off..

I don't have to "realize" anything. You're making a mountain outta a molehill. Again, like myself & others have mentioned, the scenario you're describing are likely many years away. And Australia could go with Brisbane instead, which wouldn't be a problem in the IOC's new time preference. The landscape could be totally differnent by them.

Yeah that's great and well for Brisbane except then the IOC would have pissed off Melbourne and other potential cities with different months (Dubai?) for ruining their chances to host simply because they made up a shitty excuse for Doha.

Lets keep in mind, that is was also rumored that NBC had something to do with the IOC's new 'preferred' timeframe. So perhaps it is they who really "fu@ked" everyone over. But at the same time, how is that possible, if according to you, no one wants the "fukcing" Games TBW. This "argument" of yours seems to be all pro-Melbourne, which again, seems very premature anyway.

It's not just pro-Melbourne. I'm "pro" not seeing the IOC face countries boycotting games and countries kicking up a fuss because the IOC is pissing countries off. You think allies of Qatar won't defend them if the IOC screw them over? Or Melbourne/Dubai/other cities with diff dates getting annoyed that they can't host the games because of a stupid precedent?

What's the big deal with Perth? How could they host the games? Over Sydney and Melbourne? And to a lesser extent Brisbane. Perth competing against Paris or a South African bid or a US bid? I don't even think Brisbane could do it, and I wish they could.

Perth, unlike Brisbane, surprisingly has a centralized rail network, as well as numerous sites for a potential "Olympic Park". They're building a 60,000-70,000 seater new stadium which could serve as the athletics venue, or alternatively just propose a new (to be downsized) athletics stadium. There's several venues right there which could be expanded and upgraded for a potential Olympics.

I think Brisbane could do it, if it were based at the Boondall Wetlands like the 1992 bid. Forget about it's supposed environmental status, just do as minimal work there as possible, which would include a 90,000+ seater main stadium and possibly a new arena to supplement/replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. The Chandler area and CBD would serve as 2 additional clusters.

Archived