Dubai Considers An Olympic Games Bid

When will realism in those parts of the world finally set in?

Even all the (one-day ending) oil money can't make the climate conditions in the Gulf region more favourable for outdoor sports activities, at least in the IOC calendar window (and beyond that).

I'm tired of those nouveau-riche regimes and their extraterrestial ideas.

• Like 3

Considerting that one of them is hosting the World Cup..... kinda hard to say was is and isn't realistic.

One of them has been awarded the hosting, we'll see if that'll really happen in eight years. Realistically, it shouldn't, as has been discussed at length elsewhere already.

I'm tired of those nouveau-riche regimes and their extraterrestial ideas.

Just like Berlin '36, eh? ;)

But seriously - I see your point, but the IOC has never been a stranger to the decadence of new money, Sochi, Beijing and Seoul come to mind here.

Dubai probably wont happen, but I think it deserves to be taken more seriously than Doha - it is slightly more palatable. Dubai is possible.

IMO, Dubai has a much better chance of Hosting the Summer Olympics then Doha has, especially after the issues that have surrounded Qatar with the 2022 Fifa World Cup. United Arab Emirates seems more Safe and stable then Qatar does.

The best place in the Islamic world to host the Summer Games is Baku Azerbaijan it does not have any problems with women issues and Gay people can live there life without going to prison, Baku Azerbaijan can host the games in the IOC wanted time frame and it;s an developing sporting hub and the city is developing very fast.

Lmfao, yet another one of your vacuous endorsements. Yeah, Baku & Almaty are such developing "sporting hubs". ;-/

If the IOC hasn't bitten with the FAR more attractive & alluring option of Istanbul, what in the world could they see with the likes of Baku-ku, besides not much.

Like Doha, Baku could build & build 'til they can't build no more, but in the end, all that building still can't change their less than desired locale.

What is it with you & your fascination with these "developing", attention-starved minions.

For once, I actually partially agree with GCL. I do think Baku, Azerbaijan will be capable of Hosting a Summer Olympics and Paralympics one day. I just don't think they will be the First Islamic Country to Host, I think United Arab Emirates will be with Dubai. I can't see Baku Hosting the Summer Olympics and Paralympics for at least another 20-30 Years, unless the major Cities don't Bid, like Rome, Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles, Durban and Toronto (We know Toronto won't be Bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics). I would rather see Baku Hosting the Summer Olympics and Paralympics then Istanbul and Doha. Baku interests Me more and seem more capable.

Baku is also investing lots of Money into Sporting Venues and Infrastructure. The Venues used at the 2015 European Games can be re-used if Baku Hosts a Summer Olympics (Although, they would need Expansions). They probably don't stand a chance anytime soon, but they could be serious contenders for future decades. Baku also has decent Temperatures in July and August.

average-temperature-azerbaijan-baku.png

Source: World Weather and Climate Information - http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-min-max-Temperature,Baku,Azerbaijan

The Temperature is Degrees Celsius.

"For once, I actually partially agree with GCL." - Get a room you two.

I usually disagree with GCL. I also already turned him down, as I'm into Women.

Anyway, back on topic. Dubai also has alot of space to build an Olympic Park, so that could work. The Burj Khalifa as a background from the Stadium would look Good. They also have lots of Money, but realistically, 2040 at the earliest for Dubai to Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics IMO.

I usually disagree with GCL. I also already turned him down, as I'm into Women.

Anyway, back on topic. Dubai also has alot of space to build an Olympic Park, so that could work. The Burj Khalifa as a background from the Stadium would look Good. They also have lots of Money, but realistically, 2040 at the earliest for Dubai to Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics IMO.

Correction.. Dubai HAD lots of money. Not anymore. They over-spent a few years ago and now are feeling the effects of it. And if the oil ever runs out, they're going to be in even bigger trouble..

The money dried up, but at least Dubai’s celebrity investors are not left out of pocket

Correction.. Dubai HAD lots of money. Not anymore. They over-spent a few years ago and now are feeling the effects of it. And if the oil ever runs out, they're going to be in even bigger trouble..

The money dried up, but at least Dubai’s celebrity investors are not left out of pocket

Dubai Oil will be running out by 2017 the forecast so in an few years they are speeding billions on the 2020 World Expo, Dubai era will be ending at the World Expo it will be an ghost city in the next 25 years, People are moving away from Dubai now and then Dubai will be back to the stone age again well socially they are still in the stone age, Unlike Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan, Turkey is going back to the stone age now, The only countries in the Islamic world which could host the Olympics without bad PR issue are Azerbaijan and Indonesia for the summer games and Kazakhstan for the winter games.

I never said that Azerbaijan or Indonesia will host the games at all I said Baku has an high chance of hosting the games and Indonesia wont have bad PR issues with Human rights eg Women and Gay rights.

You do realize that the Olympics are only held once every 4 years, so therefore only a limited number of cities can host, right? So the collective odds of all of these cities hosting can only add up to the number of Olympic hosts we're talking about. No.. a relatively unknown city in a country of only 10 million people has little chance to host an Olympics anytime soon.

• Like 2

lets not forget that the IOC booted doha and baku twice (2016, 2020) not just for sheets and giggles.

as seen on the score tables that make no sense to me:

txW5Y8M.png

dWk4x9k.png

if someone wants to interpret these for me please do so thanks and hugs

Baku has more chance of Hosting the Summer Olympics and Paralympics then Doha does IMO. The 2022 Fifa World Cup issues hasn't helped Qatar. At least Baku has Hosted a fair number of events, receiving the Hosting Rights fairly. Baku is also investing lots into Sports Infrastructure. Of course, Baku realistically doesn't stand a chance against Rome, Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles, Durban or Toronto, but they could Host in the Future, maybe in the 2040's? They certainly have more chance then Doha does. IMO, Baku has the 2nd Best chance in the Islamic World of Hosting the Summer Olympics, only Dubai, United Arab Emirates has a better chance. They have a New Baku 'Olympic Stadium' Under Construction etc.

The IOC won't go anywhere near the Gulf states for the Olympics. I would speculate that the fiasco surrounding the World Cup in Qatar probably has the IOC thinking we don't want any part of bid from Qatar, the UAE, and I'd even say Baku. I lived and worked in Abu Dhabi last year. Been to Dubai a number of times. Great place to visit. Bad choice for an Olympics and not just because of the heat. The biggest problem I see with a Dubai bid is transportation. They have a metro but it's only two lines. Traffic in downtown Dubai is a nightmare, as bad as New York. Compounding the problem is for an Olympics, you'd probably have a lot of visitors staying in Abu Dhabi, probably Yas Island where the grand prix is held. There is one highway connecting the two cities and in peak traffic hours it can take 3-4 hours to make the trip. Much of Dubai's planned sporting infrastructure was put on hold after the housing bubble burst in 2008 and there are no plans for resuming construction anytime soon.