not into suicide, particularly by people who have been given so much and are admired by so many and so many that can be influenced by the action.

I've lost someone very near and dear and close, one of the loves of my life in fact, to suicide, and from experience I can tell you it's not so cut and dried.

When people have criticised her for checking out, I've tended to come to her defence, pointed out it was her decision and it was a deep pain that pushed her to that.

On the other hand, privately I don't think suicide is a victimless crime. It really does leave a body blow for those they leave behind who lived them. And it IS the ultimate selfish act taken without regard to the effect it will have on those close to them.

It's sad, it's tragic, but I find it hard to find anything black and white in dealing with it. Even now, 20 years on, it still raises very conflicting emotions and thoughts when events like Robin Williams' passing bring it all back again. It's a scar that has never really healed and which is impossible to ever really come to terms with neatly.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 3

:( The "D" word is fast becomming a major hidded Pandemic especially in the OECD where expectations by everyone have become way too high.

I had a freind from my high school days end it all back in April. Myself and other friends were left in shock at a guy who seemed to be doing well. But did have "troubles" eariler on. A great business, got it together with his family, wife and all.

Worse in men, we just bottle it up and not talk...And when we are approached by a freind who could be in trouble, we simply are not ready to react with the correct responses. Instead comments like "suck it up, you're a man", or "drink some cement and harden up" are not what is needed. It's a process that requires a more sympathetic approach...along with good mate support.

When someone in your group starts to go "quiet" over time, just check in on them...they could be hiding something that you could help find the answers for.

Now I'm at that stage of grief where anger has set in, along with a couple of fellow classmates...He left behind debt that could have be managed - but worse, five kids and a bewildered wife along with the rest of his family...and that's the selfish thing.

Edited by Alexjc#TeamKey
  • Like 1

Deleted post.

Edited by Mainad

Oh! That's sad. I DO have a personal story about me and Lauren Bacall. I give her some credit for putting me on the journalism path.

I was in Fifth Form at school, age 16 or so, and to get out of sport me and a mate had signed up for the school yearbook. It was just an afternoon a week for a term. It was about time Lauren Bacall had written her autobiography, late 1970s, and she was in town to promote it. Me and my mate decided we'd one afternoon go out and try to "interview" her for the yearbook. She was doing a book signing at one of the major book stores at the time, so we we rocked up in our school uniforms, forked out for a copy of the book and lined up. When it came our turn to get it signed, we went up, explained who we were and asked if we could do an interview with her for the school newspaper. She was polite, but firmly said no, signed the book, and asked us to move on.

We weren't about to give up, so hung around, and when the signing finished, and she started to leave, we ran up to pester her again. And again she was firm in saying no, said she was leaving and walked out - us scrambling behind her until she jumped into her limo.

Still, we weren't about to give up. For some reason we knew what hotel she was at - at Kings Cross - so quickly caught a bus up and waited outside the hotel. It took a while, maybe an hour or more, but then finally her limo arrived and she got out. And there we were, those really annoying pesky kids again. She looked dismayed as we launched into our pleading "Please Miss Bacall, can you talk to us for our newspaper?". And then, I'm sure just to humour us and get us out of her face, she sighed, and agreed for a quick talk in the lobby. We sat down, got our cassette recorder out, bumbled and blurted out some questions and so had our own exclusive 15 minute interview with Lauren Bacall! At the end, we thanked her, she nicely said goodbye, and she went off with her minder to the elevator. As we were getting our sh!t together, the doorman who'd seen us do all this winked at us, got to talking, and then told us if we wanted to do another celebrity interview, Danny La Rue was in the cafe lounge. And he took us over to introduce us. And he agreed to - far more happily and enthusiastically than Lauren I might say. (For those who don't know him, Danny La Rue was a British drag entertainer of the 60s and 70s, sort of a British Liberace type, so I guess we were lucky he didn't ask us two schoolboys up to his room).

Anyway, we (or I) wrote the interviews up and they got published in the school journal. And I realised I got a real buzz from all that. I really got interested in the school journal. The following year I was filling out my University applications, up to then it had always just sort of been expected I'd probably apply for law. But as I was doing it, I realised I was far more keen and excited by the prospect of getting into journalism, so I applied for media studies instead. And that was the start of my career.

Just this past new year, I was tidying up and came across the old yearbook, read the Bacall "story" and realised I actually has asked some good questions and didn't do a bad job. I got to talking with hubby and told him my story. We looked up to check if she were still alive and I got the idea of writing a letter to her, explaining the story above and showing her a copy of the story and telling her how it inspired me to become a journo. Bummer is, the idea slipped my mind, then onto the backburner, and I'd forgotten until I just read the news of her death now. I'm so disappointed and bummed I never got the chance to do that now!

She was one classy lady. Vale Lauren!

LaurenBacallVintagePhotobyEugeneRichee.j

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 3

I'm a bit confused in which regard this is a trilogy. I mean, Philip Seymour Hoffman died already in February, so it's not a trilogy of celebrity deaths in a short time. And it's also not a trilogy of celebrity suicides, since Lauren Bacall died of a stroke.

This is directed at Baron, of course.

@Rols: Nice story! Can you post a copy of your interview with her by any chance? It's amazing that you got the chance to do that - I guess that these days, such top class celebrities would probably be accompanied by a rather strict manager who'd say "If you don't have an appointment for an interview, kids, get lost".

@Rols: Nice story! Can you post a copy of your interview with her by any chance? It's amazing that you got the chance to do that - I guess that these days, such top class celebrities would probably be accompanied by a rather strict manager who'd say "If you don't have an appointment for an interview, kids, get lost".

I'll try and scan it and post. Might be a while - I've been trying since I posted above to upload a pic of me and Lauren from the book signing. But Imageshack us sooooooooo slow ( or at least I hope it's just Imageshack and I haven't used up this month's fast bandwidth allowance).

Anyway, here's the pic of schoolboy me with Lauren at the book signing:

gRxY8I.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

Great story Rols - and here is my brush with Ms Bacall.

After the rush of the 2000 Olympic bid cycle and all the hard yards that went with reporting on it I took a nice holiday to the USA and Canada. Through a friend of a friend who was friends with a certain 80's teen film starlet I was able to attend the Los Angeles premiere of the musical Sunset Blvd. which was starring Glenn Close as Norma Desmond. The audience at the Shubert was very, very Hollywood heavy however in the intermission just outside the men’s toilets I came across Lauren, Dustin Hoffman and another guy I could not quite place at the time. I discretely stood a few metres away and eavesdropped like my life depended on it (not having the balls to actually be "that guy" and interrupt them for a handshake).

The highlight of the very brief conversation snippet I heard was Dustin Hoffman laughing as the other guy in a plummy English accent asked Lauren if the show was causing her to have flashback to the start of her career. Then the penny dropped. It was David Bowie. He had recently changed his image (yet again) and was dressed in what appeared to be amateur steam punk cast offs. Anyhow - Lauren's response was a long sigh and then "Ohhh the irresponsibility of fiction" which got a snort of laughter from Dustin and a very quick sharp "I didn't realise I made a joke, Hoffman". And with that she took David's hand and walked away leaving Dustin looking quite baffled.

Absolute gold.

• Like 1

Depression is such an insipid, terrible disease. I'm lucky in that my encounters with it have been brief, and I've had a solid support network to enable me to move out of its sticky grasp - but many have it far worse. There is no shame in sadness! Rest in peace, RW.

• Like 1

Great story Rols!! I would've hit "Like" except I didn't want to see my name beside the Orc's. Don't wanna catch Ebola or whatever it is Orcs carry. :lol: I'm surprised it's still pandering to you.

All I know about Bacall is that she lived (& I guess died at the Dakota) in NYC. That's where ROSEMARY'S BABY was set and shot (the exteriors) and also at whose gate John Lennon was shot.

I'm a bit confused in which regard this is a trilogy. I mean, Philip Seymour Hoffman died already in February, so it's not a trilogy of celebrity deaths in a short time. And it's also not a trilogy of celebrity suicides, since Lauren Bacall died of a stroke.

This is directed at Baron, of course.

Just pick the 3 latest celebrity deaths, and you fulfill the "things-come-in-3s" thingie. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Great story Rols!! I would've hit "Like" except I didn't want to see my name beside the Orc's. Don't wanna catch Ebola or whatever it is Orcs carry. :lol: I'm surprised it's still pandering to you.

;)

<_< Not that you can read this B-minus, but you really are a total dropkick aren't you...So what if I "like" any artical that Rols writes, especially one this is on topic and very close to me as well...he had something relevant to say.

Unlike you, he actually has something decient to say. And since you are playing the hypocracy card with your insults, you think Ebola is something funny? America now has an insipid disease festering within it...It's the likes of you, trying to fit in. :P

Because you asked! :)

TOZgxo.jpg0GKWTx.jpg

SgzLZB.jpg

• Like 2

The "Mrs. Doubtfire" house in San Francisco surely catches fire due to the candles and tributes left by grief-stricken fans who were already ALL depressed. They are even more depressed now!!

59_big.jpg

You got to be kidding me That is a completely random house. The Mrs.Doubtfire house is in pacific heights on a hilly street and there is no space between the houses.Where do you get stupid **** like this (maybe your were mistaken which in that case I apologize)

The "Mrs. Doubtfire" house in San Francisco surely catches fire due to the candles and tributes left by grief-stricken fans who were already ALL depressed. They are even more depressed now!!

59_big.jpg

This is not the Mrs Doubtfire house.

Why would you do this? So strange.

• Like 1