RIP Robin Williams

I am sad to report to those that don't know that actor and comedian Robin Williams who lived near SF has passed anyway. My favorite movie with him is Mrs.Doubtfire which I know has helped a lot of people whose parents have divorced. He will be sorely missed. Anyone else have good memories of him

I'm just stunned!

He created so many memorable roles on film and TV and always seemed so upbeat and funny.

Beneath the mask of the clown, eh!

R.I.P Robin! :(

I fell asleep and just awoke, in the middle of night here in Germany, to the breaking news on my mobile phone. That's the kind of news that shakes you up. Truly awful - and what an immense loss. Robin Williams was such a hugely talented man - while usually being the king of loud, hyperactive but hilarious physical comedy, he was a great actor also for wholly different characters. I think that his performance in "One Hour Photo" was a master piece, and the balance he found between physical comedy and tragedy and melancholy in "Mrs. Doubtfire" was impressive as well. And we all knew how close comedy and tragedy were also in his private life, with his repeated battle against addictions. What I didn't know until now that he apparently battled serious depression as well. I think this is so poignant and not quite untypical for performers: They make you laugh, they amaze you on the screen or with their music and other crafts, and yet, quite a few of them seem to be overburdened by the pressure. Sad that that kind of tragedy happens again and again.

I also think of Johnny Carson in this moment. I know that Robin Williams was one of his favourite comedians - and that's why he invited him together with Bette Midler to his famous and emotional next-to-last Tonight Show, his final show with guests. If there's life after death, I can only imagine Johnny's puzzled look, seeing Robin Williams arrive at the Pearly Gates, and he probably said "What the hell are you doing up here so early, kid?"

But since you should always remember the dead laughing and maybe making other people laugh, here's a sketch by Robin Williams that made me laugh very hard when I first saw it a couple of years ago. I think Carol Burnett's reaction in the middle of the second part of the sketch says it all:

not into suicide, particularly by people who have been given so much and are admired by so many and so many that can be influenced by the action.

I don't want to engage in flamewars, since this is absolutely the wrong thread for this, but your comment is truly tactless and uncalled for.

I fell asleep and just awoke, in the middle of night here in Germany, to the breaking news on my mobile phone. That's the kind of news that shakes you up. Truly awful - and what an immense loss. Robin Williams was such a hugely talented man - while usually being the king of loud, hyperactive but hilarious physical comedy, he was a great actor also for wholly different characters. I think that his performance in "One Hour Photo" was a master piece, and the balance he found between physical comedy and tragedy and melancholy in "Mrs. Doubtfire" was impressive as well. And we all knew how close comedy and tragedy were also in his private life, with his repeated battle against addictions. What I didn't know until now that he apparently battled serious depression as well. I think this is so poignant and not quite untypical for performers: They make you laugh, they amaze you on the screen or with their music and other crafts, and yet, quite a few of them seem to be overburdened by the pressure. Sad that that kind of tragedy happens again and again.

I also think of Johnny Carson in this moment. I know that Robin Williams was one of his favourite comedians - and that's why he invited him together with Bette Midler to his famous and emotional next-to-last Tonight Show, his final show with guests. If there's life after death, I can only imagine Johnny's puzzled look, seeing Robin Williams arrive at the Pearly Gates, and he probably said "What the hell are you doing up here so early, kid?"

But since you should always remember the dead laughing and maybe making other people laugh, here's a sketch by Robin Williams that made me laugh very hard when I first saw it a couple of years ago. I think Carol Burnett's reaction in the middle of the second part of the sketch says it all:

I don't want to engage in flamewars, since this is absolutely the wrong thread for this, but your comment is truly tactless and uncalled for.

I can't imagine feeling inflamed, but you go ahead if you feel the need.

What's truly uncalled for is suicide.

Just my opinion, now I have a nice Indian dinner to attend. Goodbye.

I can't imagine feeling inflamed, but you go ahead if you feel the need.

What's truly uncalled for is suicide.

Just my opinion, now I have a nice Indian dinner to attend. Goodbye.

I understand but there is a time and a place. And saying "what a jerk" just hours after someone many people treasured died, is not right.

Sad news, he really was a talent of his age.

I like Rols was not a huge fan of his work personally but Mrs Doubtfire and my favourite Disney Film Aladdin were two movies that showed of his talents perfectly.

Baron you forgot Whitney

Oh captain my captain!

Or Goooooooooood morning Vietnam! But the morning isn´t good at all.

Heard of it tonight during my nightshift. Usually news of dying celebrities don´t touch me that hard, but with Robin Williams it is different.

I was part of my childhood, he was the Dschinn in Aladin, he was Peter Pan, the boy who whouldn´t grow up.

And and as I grow up I saw him in Dead Poets Society (Carpe Diem never fit more than today!), the first movie I watchted in english.

He won an Academy Award for Good Will Hunting. He was Patch Adams. Where was his Patch Adams, to cheer him up and make his bad feelings go away?

I am really sad.

A smile left our world......

And if there should be earthquakes in your region in the next days, weeks, months or years: Probably it's only Johnny Carson somewhere in heaven convulsing from laughter over Robin Williams' jokes. See for yourself:

But was it a real smile?

or was it a smile that slowly faded with addiction, masked and concealed, but ultimately created an ending funded by a bad combination of depression and drugs?

We should be cautious about quick conclusions. As far as I heard (for example, on CNN), Robin Williams checked back into rehab rather due to his depressions and not due to a new addiction - he rather wanted to prevent it. But even that we don't know for sure currently. We should maybe leave it as it is for now.

Who are these recent suicide or overdose celebrities -- all who seem to have had it all at one time?

- Heath Ledger,

- Michael Jackson,

- Amy Whinehouse,

- Philip Seymour Hoffman,

- now Robin Williams.

Who's next??

Justin Bieber

We should be cautious about quick conclusions. As far as I heard (for example, on CNN), Robin Williams checked back into rehab rather due to his depressions and not due to a new addiction - he rather wanted to prevent it. But even that we don't know for sure currently. We should maybe leave it as it is for now.

Not sure how reliable the DailyMail is, but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722538/Robin-Williams-checked-Minnesota-rehab-center-focus-continued-commitment-sobriety-tragic-death.html. I really wasn't claiming it, but rather suggesting it as a possible scenario.

But still :(

Either which way...

We have lost a piece of magic.

Very popular in NZ as he visited regularly to get away from it all. He was close freinds with Sam Niell and stayed near his Queenstown home.

:(

Archived