Sign in to follow this  
DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 Mascots

I'm sure the "devil-like" characters of Brazilian folklore will not be used, since they are truly bizarre, even for Brazilians.

maybe Brazilian Mythology? Any friendly creatures in Brazilian Mythology?

No Brazilian Mythology, only myths on popular folklore, and even those are vanishing in these modern times.

I want a Candomble Orixa.

Failing that it has to be Pereira the Piranha*

Cartoon%20Piranha.jpg

* This is not a true representation of Pereira the Piranha© by BP!V Inc.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 4

I'd say London did a fairly acceptable job on keeping the mascots "cool", "hip", "Slim", and "Unique" like their logo (London's message was to 'inspire a generation'). Mascots, IMO, would be very generic and boring if always forced to use something the country is well known for. Like China and Pandas, Brazil and Macaws, America and Eagles. Really, I think mascots should be unified with the theme/logo but still have something that semi-represents the host nation/city/region. Nanjing's mascot is a living breathing pebble, but it a special/unique pebble exclusive to the city.

Source: http://www.nanjing2014.org/a/20130328/000083.htm

I don't know much about Scotland. I didn't know the Thistle was a symbol of Scotland until reading an article about the Clyde. Although the mascot may seem very meaningful to a local, it can also be very 'meh' to a foreigner, like me. The same can be applied to Nanjing2014. Nanjing may be known for their pebbles in the region, but not to foreigners.

Atlanta's logo seemed to be inspired by history, but the mascot seemed to be inspired by 'modern art', so that was poop.

*ironically, London's message was to

*Clyde, not 'the Clyde'

London inspired me to never watch War of the Worlds...

Well they don't have much to live up to after the London mascots. I'm interested to see if integrating the mascots into the ceremony will become a trend after Sochi.

I'm sure the "devil-like" characters of Brazilian folklore will not be used, since they are truly bizarre, even for Brazilians.

No Brazilian Mythology, only myths on popular folklore, and even those are vanishing in these modern times.

What? :huh:

They're not devil-like at all, unless you're on the neopentecostal evangelical bandwagon. Most of these famous entities are spirits of the woods and rivers and carry a strong environmental message, specially Saci and Curupira, which are mischievous to those who disrespect the forests, etc etc...

The difference between mythology and folklore is how much importance a society dedicates to its cthonic narratives. And yes, Brazilian rich cultural heritage is about to be fade because of massa media and all its trash.

What? :huh:

They're not devil-like at all, unless you're on the neopentecostal evangelical bandwagon. Most of these famous entities are spirits of the woods and rivers and carry a strong environmental message, specially Saci and Curupira, which are mischievous to those who disrespect the forests, etc etc...

The difference between mythology and folklore is how much importance a society dedicates to its cthonic narratives. And yes, Brazilian rich cultural heritage is about to be fade because of massa media and all its trash.

Atheist here.

You're right. I made my point in a simplistic way, since the tales of saci or curupira also cast them as "little devils".

Anyway, my point is: I don't see any of them being selected as mascots.

In a side note, there is a campaign to use Muriqui, a species of monkey, as mascot of Rio 2016.

49148-olympic-image1.jpg

Cartoon%20Piranha.jpg

Pereira, the Piranha is a classic. If not chosen mascot of Rio games, it could easily be the mascot of GamesBids Forums!

• Like 1

I'd say a monkey is a much easy magnet for racists here and abroad. Too bad little sun Cauê is past now. He'd be a nice Olympic mascot.

I'd say a monkey is a much easy magnet for racists here and abroad. Too bad little sun Cauê is past now. He'd be a nice Olympic mascot.

Totally agreed!

0,,1443-3,00.jpg

• Like 1

Cartoon%20Piranha.jpg

Close enuf, Rols!! Just luv it!!

• Like 1

Don't know about the piranha... In portuguese it's a word people also use to say that woman is kind of a whore. :ph34r:

Don't know about the piranha... In portuguese it's a word people also use to say that woman is kind of a whore. :ph34r:

During 2016 bid race, Baron, provocative as always, created a mascot and used it a lot to make fun of Brazil, along with Juliana Paes butt.

But, in fact, Pereira, the Piranha drawing at that time was so funny that it became the "unofficial mascot" of Rio bid here.

And I didn't link the word piranha with the slang... Baron was even more brilliant about Pereira even without having no clue about it... XD

How is someone "kind of" a whore?

"Piranha" means the famous fish in the Amazon, but can also means "bitch" (slang).

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

I vote for the 'Quati'.
We can see this animal in the Tijuca National Park, home of the statue of Christ, in the heart of Rio.

floresta_da_tijuca_28.jpg

Okay, here's my OIympic and Paralympic Submissions

tm37lV.jpg

Pereira the Piranha, the Rio 2016 Olympic Games mascot, was born in the north of Gauanabara Bay, and has thrived on the rich sources of food found in his home estuary. For 2016, he is on a one-fish mission to clear the entire bay of all its floating smorgasbord and make it the perfect place to attract the world's leanest, muscliest and tastiest sailors.

Rita the Anteater, mascot of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, is a true Carioca girl, born in the Rocinha favela where she helped beautify her neighbourhood by ridding it of ants, fleas and termites. These days she's more often found in her micro-bikini on Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, where she demonstrates her tonguing skills to all the local boys and pick pocketing skills on the tourists.

Glad to see that, at least, the names does not sound Spanish... :rolleyes:

Or Italian...

todayshowaustralia.jpg

NOVEMBER 16TH

That's the date announced to the ceremony to unveil the mascots.

I like what I read about the mascot. It seems the organizing committee doesn't want it to be a mere formality. I have high expectations for it.

I liked Fuleco, even though he was subject of lampoon in Brazil and wasn't as sucessful as Zakumi (maybe because he imitated Zakumi style?). It seems the Rio 2016 comittee learned from this and are trying to do a much better marketing campaign for their mascot (overall they seem to had learned of the mistakes of the 2014 WC, since they also did a better logo and better brand :lol: )

Rio 2016 to reveal mascot that will "live in hearts of the fans" next month By Daniel Etchells

The_identity_of_the_mascot_for_the_Rio_2Rio 2016 is set to unveil its mascot next month, it has been revealed, the most important moment so far of a merchandise programme that is aiming to raise BRL1 billion (£263 million/$420 million/€329 million).

The mascot of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, Fuleco the armadillo, failed to generate much interest and was even burned by demonstrators at protests before the competition had begun.

But Sylmara Multini, licensing director of Rio 2016, expects lessons to be learned and people to be more receptive before and during South America's first Olympic and Paralympic Games.

There has been a long-running campaign by environmentalists to try to persuade Rio 2016 to choose as its mascot the endangered golden lion tamarin, native to the Atlantic coastal forests of Brazil, but Multini refused to give anything away about its identity.

Golden_Lion_Tamarin.jpgBrazilian environmentalists have launched a campaign to try to get Rio 2016 to choose the endangered golden lion tamarin as its mascot ©Getty Images

She did, however, promise that whatever the mascot is that Rio 2016 will make it come alive for the public.

"Our strategy is based around transforming the mascots into characters, which will live in the hearts of the fans," Multini, who has previously worked for Walt Disney and toymaker Mattel, told insidethegames.

"To become relevant with the young target audience, we will develop apps, games and other digital assets which will operate on tablets and smart phones.

"The mascot will also be included across the full range of licensed products and we expect it to be a very visible presence throughout the Games."

A total of 15 companies were briefed by Rio 2016 President Carlos Nuzman in January 2013 as part of the first phase of the competition to create a mascot.

London_2012_licensing_programme.jpgLondon 2012 offered a wide range of merchandise as part of one of the most successful licensing programmes in Olympic history ©Getty Images

Rio 2016 is halfway through completing 65 licensing agreements with companies that will produce and sell 12,000 Games-related products, more than for any previous Olympics, and is also selling licences to run 150 temporary stores.

About 16 per cent of the total sales will go toward raising the BRL7 billion (£1.8 billion/$2.9 billion/€2.3 billion) needed to stage the event.

Multini has predicted that the the mascot will be the best seller among the items produced as souvenirs, that are also set to include flip-flops and beach towels, which she believes are a perfect tie-in with Copacabana, arguably Rio de Janeiro's best known landmark.

The mascot, Multini believes, could raise as much as BRL165.8 million (£41.8 million/$67.2 million/€52.5 million) in sales revenue, a considerable contribution towards matching the BRL402.1 million (£101.4 million/$163 million/€127.3 million) that licensing contributed to Beijing 2008 and the BRL318.2 million (£80.2 million/$129 million/€100.8 million) generated for London 2012.

Ai yai yai! Carmen's not gonna like being upstaged in my sig!

Anyway, thank god that's coming soon. We need SOMETHING to talk about rather than the most boring and dispiriting winter games bid race of them all.

Edited by Sir Rols

I hope this time there was only one mascot. Even for both events, the Olympics and Paralympics.

There will be at least two characters, since the press release from Rio 2016 OCOG says "the mascots will be unveiled..."

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Ok, so we can start bashing it in November, but will they be smart enough to have items out for Christmas?

Rio 2016 mascots set to be unveiled as five predecessors prepare to travel to Brazil to greet it

The_mascots_from_Moscow_1980_Athens_2004

The identity of Rio 2016's mascots for the Olympic and Paralympic Games is set to be announced in the coming days after it was revealed hey will welcome five of their predecessors to Rio de Janeiro on Thursday (November 20).

The unveiling of the Rio 2016 mascots will mark the most important moment so far of a merchandise programme aiming to raise BRL1 billion (£263 million/$420 million/€329 million).

Misha from Moscow 1980, Athena from Athens 2004, Fu Niu Lele from Beijing 2008, and Wenlock and Mandeville from London 2012, will land at Tom Jobim International Airport at 11am.

The quintet will visit the Sugerloaf Mountain, a peak situated at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean, on Friday (November 21).

On Saturday (November 22), they will be taken on a mini tour of the Maracanã Stadium, due to host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Games.

Children from the Rio 2016 Education Programme will accompany the mascots on the visits, which will involve picnics and storytelling about the Games.
There has been a long-running campaign by environmentalists to try to persuade Rio 2016 to choose the endangered golden lion tamarin, native to the Atlantic coastal forests of Brazil, as its mascot.

The mascot of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, Fuleco the armadillo, failed to generate much interest and was even burned by demonstrators at protests before the competition had begun.

Where's Syd, Ollie and Millie?