Sign in to follow this  
DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 Mascots

No mascots unveiled yet, but we are already know it will one mascot for the Olympic Games and other for the Paralympic Games.

The Olympic and Paralympic Games Rio will have a mascot each, he said on Tuesday (5) the brand board of the organizing committee, Beth Lula.

Both should be presented to the public later this year. Last year a tender was held to choose the company responsible for the creation and development of characters.

The organizing committee is studying make public engagement campaigns about the launch. There is possibility of popular choice of name, as happened in the World Cup FIFA - whose name was chosen Fuleco.

In recent years, it was common for the Olympic Summer Games and Winter adopt more than one pet. Some examples are Sydney 2000, Salt Lake City 2002 and Vancouver-2010.

The London Games 2012, which preceded the River, had the mascots Wenlock (Olympic) and Mandeville (Paralympics).

Good to have only one. In the past, it was obviously more an attempt to increase merchandising revenue than to have a symbol of the Games.

I can't imagine anything else besides animals, mythical creatures, or traditional objects being used that will still keep with the vibrant nature-y theme.

Having two mascots makes it seem like the Paralympians are really "special". Having only one, IMO, can really make the games more unified and make all the athletes feel united and equal. I suppose only having one mascot can save up costs, too.

More mascots means more crap to sell, and better odds that at least one mascot will be worthwhile.

If the Brazilians don't grasp this, I'm sure the Japanese will. Imagine a universe of mascots with kids being pressured to catch them all.

• Like 4

Looking forward for them to be lauched! It's good to know there will be only one Olympic and one Paralympic mascot. Having many mascots makes them much more forgettable and less symbolic than a single charismatic character. I hope Tokyo will also follow the trend London and Rio have resumed.

Why speaking spanish, Baron? It won't be California in two years time. ;)

Tongue in cheek, ok?

The Clyde mascot was one of the successes of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and shows that if you get it right, mascots can be a popular part of a games.

Easily identifyable as a thistle, the national symbol of the host country, it was also designed by a kid, which makes it more appealing to the younger generation

The mascot toy sold out towards the end of the games in all outlets and stores and orders are being taken for christmas.

A problem i find with alot of mascots is that they are not so identifiable with the host country, ie Nanjing 2014, London 2012, Atlanta 1996

So i hope that Rio produces something that will appeal to Brazilians and the spectating world alike :)

Wait...so they have one mascot and it is the same mascot for both the Paralympics and the Olympics? If so that is brilliant...I love that idea! Unifies the two events

Wait...so they have one mascot and it is the same mascot for both the Paralympics and the Olympics? If so that is brilliant...I love that idea! Unifies the two events

Seriously, learn to f*cking read.

I not sure they can. Unlike the Commies which integrate para events into the main program, the Olys and Paras are two separate events, with different governing bodies and different IP rights. Probably London came closest to it, with their metallic and related duo.

I don't believe they still do it any more, but the IPC even used to push it to the point of "electing" their next host after the IOC had elected the host they were stuck with anyway.

Edited by Sir Rols

I not sure they can. Unlike the Commies which integrate para events into the main program, the Olys and Paras are two separate events, with different governing bodies and different IP rights. Probably London came closest to it, with their metallic and related duo.

I don't believe they still do it any more, but the IPC even used to push it to the point of "electing" their next host after the IOC had elected the host they were stuck with anyway.

It would be cool if they could have one mascot; easier to unify, market, etc.

But your right, London came the closest. Despite them looking like creatures from War of the Worlds, I think they were kinda cute and a good market tool.

Well, the IPC-IOC recently signed an agreement that runs until 2020. After that, the IPC can opt out and elect their own host. Probably won't happen, but it's possible. Edited by ofan

Well, the IPC-IOC recently signed an agreement that runs until 2020. After that, the IPC can opt out and elect their own host. Probably won't happen, but it's possible.

Not that they ever likely will, of course.

Both events are far too big IMO to be integrated much further without making the whole thing too grossly over-collosal. It's a big enough job as it is trying to follow the main event with the afterthought a few weeks later. But the IPC still needs those big facilities from the Olys ready and in full games mode of operation to run. I don't think it would be possible any more for them to split off to a different location from the main Oly host. More integrated marketing and identity might well be possible, but I think the IPC are going to be always very keen and careful to ensure they keep their own identity distinct from their big able-bodied brother. And I think that's fair enough, even desirable.

Edited by Sir Rols

I liked both Caue from Rio 2007 and Fuleco from Brazil 2014 (even though the later one wasn't as popular as Zakumi). I'm sure Brazil will make a memorable mascot, since well, it won't be hard to surpass those strange cyclops London had.

I can imagine Japan mascot as being kind of weird/anime-ish but cute. They're experts in making successful mascots which appeal people in their country at least

• Like 1

I liked both Caue from Rio 2007 and Fuleco from Brazil 2014 (even though the later one wasn't as popular as Zakumi). I'm sure Brazil will make a memorable mascot, since well, it won't be hard to surpass those strange cyclops London had.

I can imagine Japan mascot as being kind of weird/anime-ish but cute. They're experts in making successful mascots which appeal people in their country at least

Anime ain't weird, baka. It's like saying books are stupid. Are all books stupid? No. Are some books stupid? Yes. Same thing can be applied to anime.

Seriously, learn to f*cking read.

Well, you certainly aren't the nicest of people.

The Clyde mascot was one of the successes of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and shows that if you get it right, mascots can be a popular part of a games.

Easily identifyable as a thistle, the national symbol of the host country, it was also designed by a kid, which makes it more appealing to the younger generation

The mascot toy sold out towards the end of the games in all outlets and stores and orders are being taken for christmas.

A problem i find with alot of mascots is that they are not so identifiable with the host country, ie Nanjing 2014, London 2012, Atlanta 1996

So i hope that Rio produces something that will appeal to Brazilians and the spectating world alike :)

I'd say London did a fairly acceptable job on keeping the mascots "cool", "hip", "Slim", and "Unique" like their logo (London's message was to 'inspire a generation'). Mascots, IMO, would be very generic and boring if always forced to use something the country is well known for. Like China and Pandas, Brazil and Macaws, America and Eagles. Really, I think mascots should be unified with the theme/logo but still have something that semi-represents the host nation/city/region. Nanjing's mascot is a living breathing pebble, but it a special/unique pebble exclusive to the city.

NANJINGLELE is inspired by a unique natural feature of the host city known as the “Rain-Flower Pebble” (also translated as “Riverstone”). The design of the mascot takes the typical shape and appearance of this stone but in a creative and artistic way, highlighting the colours from the emblem’s palette. The word ‘lele’ represents the sound of stones colliding together and is pronounced like the Chinese word meaning happiness or joy.

Source: http://www.nanjing2014.org/a/20130328/000083.htm

I don't know much about Scotland. I didn't know the Thistle was a symbol of Scotland until reading an article about the Clyde. Although the mascot may seem very meaningful to a local, it can also be very 'meh' to a foreigner, like me. The same can be applied to Nanjing2014. Nanjing may be known for their pebbles in the region, but not to foreigners.

Atlanta's logo seemed to be inspired by history, but the mascot seemed to be inspired by 'modern art', so that was poop.

*ironically, London's message was to

*Clyde, not 'the Clyde'

Well, for PanAmerican games, Rio didn't used a macaw, but the Sun mascot Cauê.

pan.jpg

For me, a brilliant idea. The sun is so linked to Rio and also to many countries in Americas.

For the World Cup, all of you remember, it was Fuleco, the armadillo

mascot.png

In 1989, Copa America in Brazil had as mascot a Chicken (only God knows why), called Tico

mascote-copa-america-1989.gif

--------------

More search in Google and I found Parangolé, the mascot for 2008 FIFA Futsal World Cup in Brazil...

A Macaw... At least, we are sure, no macaw will be used for the Olympic Games.

080922parangole_interna.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil

How cool would it be to have a mythical creature as the mascot ^_^

Mythical like...?

Like Boitatá (giant fire serpent of the waters) for the Olys and Curupira or Saci for the Paras, because of their feet and energy.

Mythical like...?

Mythical like what Pokemon X/Y did to Xerneas and Yveltal. Based off of Norse Mythological creatures and morphed them into the ultimate thing. They also created some clever names for them, I guess. But Pokemon may be more of Japan's thing (Although it seems to fit Rio for me!). Instead of Norse Mythology, maybe Brazilian Mythology? Any friendly creatures in Brazilian Mythology?

Like Boitatá (giant fire serpent of the waters) for the Olys and Curupira or Saci for the Paras, because of their feet and energy.

Kinda cruel for Paralympians? unless to make a point that you can still be powerful even with disabilities?

Exactly. The feet of Curupira was his trumph and Saci moves around in a "pocket hurricane"

• Like 1