Sign in to follow this  
DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 Mascots

it's quite an antithesis of the previous Olympics mascot. Wendlock and mandeville had there charm but it was more about industry, technology and steel. while Brazil is more about nature and sustainability. i do love that they didn't go for the obvious find and cute animal in stick a make in it approach but i would have like a more human mascot. it does have tone of pokemon and adventure time but it's more of plus than a disadvantage. the costumes needs some working. it doesn't fully represent the animated versions of the two. it needs to be abit more slender and the height need to be fixed. (para one is smaller than the oly)

• Like 1

What reactions did Cobi face? I like the mascot, but I find it ridiculous they want to call it a cubist rendition of the dog in Picasso's remake of Diego Velasquez's Las Meninas. Picasso hasn't done cubism in over 30 years when he painted those Las Meninas works.And I don't think the trying to make the mascots less stereotypical after Sydney was all the great either. Look at the Torino mascots (stick figures with a snowball and an ice cube as a head), the Athens mascots (weird looking artifacts) and London mascots (animated liquid steel lol)

You have to remember the time it was unveiled - the late 80s, at the Seoul CC (as the logos and mascots were usually unveiled in those days). Up to then, the mascots were all pretty conventional, nothing too experimental. And then Barcelona unveiled Cobi. Listen, I like Cobi, I think he's one of the truly original mascots. But at the time it was pretty out there. I well remember comments by people and in the media of "what the heck is that?". Of course, since then, attitudes have changed, and he's been helped by being followed by one of the really hated/polarising mascots - Izzy. But at the time, he was pretty controversial because he was anything but conventional.

I don't think Sydney started any "official" moves away from stereotypes. I don't think there is any real official guidelines. Just what suits the times, the trends and the city. Sydney just decided to do anything but a kangaroo or a koala. I was just reacting to the other comments about stereotypes and "disastrous" reception to 2000's mascots. Those comments Just struck me as wrong and incredibly misinterpreted to describe them as some blot and embarrassment in Olympic design and disastrous failure on the part of Sydney. Sydney's mascots weren't a success or a flop. They were just mascots, no better or worse than most others.

I like mascots. They're part of the fun imagery of a games. But a lot of the fun is also taking the piss out if them.

Edited by Sir Rols

Rio's mascots are really growing on me, I'll probably end up buying the pair before the end of 2016. @SirRols do you think a kangaroo or Koala would have been more 'successful' (I use that term lightly) then the triplets Sydney got?

I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other. Kids buy into those sort of things and hound parents for the plushies and toys. Everybody else either doesn't give a sh!t, or just think whatever's presented is cheesy or ridiculous.

I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other. Kids buy into those sort of things and hound parents for the plushies and toys. Everybody else either doesn't give a sh!t, or just think whatever's presented is cheesy or ridiculous.

True. The idea that mascots are meant to excite anyone other than kids is a bit of a stretch. I like them, and I like the fun of them, even if they are dumb and out of the ordinary like Izzy and the snowball and ice cube headed mascots. Or those Nightmare Before Christmas looking owls Nagano did.

My first impression was also "Adventure Time". Still, I quite like them. I like the Olympic mascot much more than the Paralympic one though. Didn't we want a tropical animal to be the mascot? Well, we got 3 on 1. I like the idea of combining different animals and I think it's been very well executed. I'll be definitely getting a plushie of it. As for the Paralympic mascot, it didn't remind me of Pokémon Oddish at first sight, but now that some of you mention it, you're right, there are certainly some similarities. I also like the idea of representing Brazilian flora, but I think the result is not as good as the Olympic mascot. That doesn't mean I don't like it, but the Olympic mascot looks more appealing to me. In any case, I think they're going to be very good mascots, Brazilians already seem to love them, and it appears the organizing committee wants them to play an important role in the build-up to the Games, so that's great.

The animation is superb. You can clearly see the feline, the monkey and the bird in the Olympic mascot and I just love its capoeira poses.

And finally, the names. I miss an explanation of the meanings of the possible names. What do Oba/Eba and Tiba Tuque/Esquindim mean? Who are Vinicius and Tom? (Any Brazilian here that could help me?) The first names I'd rule out are Vinicius and Tom because they're too human names for these characters, and also, the Paralympic mascot looks like a girl to me, so I'd never call it Tom. And among the other two couples, Tiba Tuque and Esquindim are more difficult to pronounce, but they have more personality than Oba and Eba... so I'm slightly leaning towards Tiba Tuque and Esquindim, but I'll wait until I know their meaning (if there's a meaning) to make up my mind.

OK, "The Girl from Ipanema" writer and composer. Thank you! Still I'm not sure those are the most suitable names for these mascots.

what a contrast

15247131063_e399574190.jpg15840969856_eaa92e103f.jpg

I like them both very much. They're both coherent with the image and look of their respective Games, they're both quite charismatic and I personally appreciate a lot that both London and Rio picked only one Olympic and one Paralympic mascot that complement each other. Tokyo, this is the road I want you to follow!

• Like 1

Where's Syd, Ollie and Millie?

Given the price gouge it is to fly Qantas to South America im not supposed the trio passed the opportunity. ;)

I heard they instead asked Lizzie, but she's struggling to make ends meet until NDIS kicks in....

^^ Well, that's what i meant with disastrous. When the mascots failed to generate interest from the people and didn't sold well. The fact a non-official mascot was even more popular than them pretty much summed everything up.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. Syd, Millie and Ozzie (and Lizzie) had a charming synchronicity to them, and I remember them having a great profile during the Games. Fatso was an upstart, but the official mascots beautifully blended in with the style of the Games.

As for the Rio mascots, I think they're great. Glad there are fewer of them. I hated Beijing, which felt like it had 80. I think having one for each of the two games is the best way to do it.

^^ Well I was too young back then when the olympics were held in Sydney but the little I can remember is that people didn't liked much the mascots and made fun of them. I guess after Izzy, they decided to go with something more safe.

I liked Beijing mascots but I began to dislike that they made more than one mascot for an olympics. It works much better and they are more fondly remembered when its a single one, IMO.

Anyway, Beth Lula, marketing director of Rio 2016 said that the mascots were created with a team of 60 persons and that the objective was for the mascots to have connection with the youth. Which confirms what have we thought so far regarding of the style used in them.

OK, "The Girl from Ipanema" writer and composer. Thank you! Still I'm not sure those are the most suitable names for these mascots.

Vinicius de Moraes is also a celebrated modernist poet here. His works are part of the high school curriculum.

I like them (although they are not my fave ever) they are in keeping with the overall look of the games and they do shout "Brazil" to me. Am glad that like London 2012 - they have gone with one for the Olympics and one for the Paras and there is synergy between both of them. Like the graphics and their story. They will captivate children & it is nice to see another piece of the Rio jigsaw in place. Rio 2016 is just around the corner = bring on the games! As for the names - not great for a Western European market but then Wenlock and Mandeville may have been difficult for non English speakers to pronounce?!

• Like 3

The Paralympic mascot looks a bit like the Brazilian soccer player David Luiz. Considering what happened this past summer, I wonder if this is a bit of shade on the part of the designers.

Or those Nightmare Before Christmas looking owls Nagano did.

Yeah, those were pretty creepy. Right next to the cube-heads from Turin.

The concept is very similar to Vancouver. Mythological creatures that are created from different parts of animals that are native to the place where the Olympic is being held. The Olympic pokemon family is growing. I wonder what Korea and Japan mascots will look like?

The concept is very similar to Vancouver. Mythological creatures that are created from different parts of animals that are native to the place where the Olympic is being held. The Olympic pokemon family is growing. I wonder what Korea and Japan mascots will look like?

...and probably China after Japan.I liked the Olympic Pokemon family thing. I've seen that is now a really growing tendency since Hodori.

I liked Rio's mascots concept. Still quite Pokemon looking, though.

As for the names - not great for a Western European market but then Wenlock and Mandeville may have been difficult for non English speakers to pronounce?!

You're right. I've always pronounced something like 'WHEN-lock' and 'MAN-deh-veel', but I'm not sure at all that's the correct pronounciation, and I guess I'm not the only one.

As for Rio's mascots possible names, "Tom" is the only one whose pronounciation I know for sure, so I'm going to ask for some more help from our Brazilian members:

-Oba/Eba: Which is the stressed syllable? The first time I read them I said 'OH-bah' and 'EH-bah', as I'd read them in Spanish, but then I remembered "Mas Que Nada" and I changed my mind... Not sure if it's the same word as in the song but 'oh-BAH' sounds more Portuguese to me.

-Tiba Tuque/Esquindim: Again, which are the stressed syllables? And also, since they appear to be Tupi-Guarani words, are the Us after the Qs pronounced or do they sound just like "Que" in "Mas Que Nada"?

-Vinícius: This is a name I'll never learn to pronounce. I think it sounds like 'vee-NEE-seeush', but I always change the S and SH and make it sound like "vicious". I just can't pronounce it correctly when speaking fast.