Sign in to follow this  
DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 Mascots

Yeah. By logic they should had picked one from Sydney since its the other most recent olympiad beside Athens, Beijing and London. Instead they went for Misha.

Also the unveiling was supossed to be tomorrow but for unknown reasons it was delayed for next week (November 23).

Yeah. By logic they should had picked one from Sydney since its the other most recent olympiad beside Athens, Beijing and London. Instead they went for Misha.

Also the unveiling was supossed to be tomorrow but for unknown reasons it was delayed for next week (November 23).

Yea, why Misha of all mascots???

Misha is a success. It's one of the most beloved Olympic mascots of all time, unlike Izzy, Syd, Mille and Olly...

Misha is a success. It's one of the most beloved Olympic mascots of all time, unlike Izzy, Syd, Mille and Olly...

Ehhh...beloved in the land of aggressors, the Russians. Don't see how it was big success outside the USSR when many countries boycotted those Games.

• Like 1

^^ Well, it had an animated series which was popular in some countries, Spain included. The series was co-made with Japan, which ironically also boycotted the games.

Funny enough, Japan also did an anime of Sam the Eagle, which is eh...um....just watch.

Ehhh...beloved in the land of aggressors, the Russians. Don't see how it was big success outside the USSR when many countries boycotted those Games.

:rolleyes:

I agree with Baron. I think the whole Misha crying thing in the Sochi closing went over most people's heads because no one in the US or Canada or the other boycotting nations ever saw it.

• Like 2

I agree with Baron. I think the whole Misha crying thing in the Sochi closing went over most people's heads because no one in the US or Canada or the other boycotting nations ever saw it.

No, I got it. It's how the games ended back in 1980, so it was fitting it ended the same way in Sochi. I was very impressed with those animatronics, but still it's best for the IOC not to give more attention to Russia right now with all the issues that have arisen the last year.

No, I got it. It's how the games ended back in 1980, so it was fitting it ended the same way in Sochi. I was very impressed with those animatronics, but still it's best for the IOC not to give more attention to Russia right now with all the issues that have arisen the last year.

Which just proves it's only a moment beloved for Russian Olympic fans -- so much so that they would recreate a closing moment 34 years ago in an altogether different set of Games. Huh? No other repeat host has done such an unimaginative thing. It was well done; but it was corny and hackneyed. Other repeat hosts make each new Games/ceremonies shine on their own -- not some nostalgic look at some passing moment of a previous Games. It wasn't bad, but it really didn't celebrate anything monumentally Olympic or groundbreaking in the annals of Olympic imagery. It was more like "Don't Cry for Me, Hijo de Putana, Putin!!" :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Misha is an iconic olympic memory for Brazilian fans. We're not a short sighted boycotting nation.

Yea, why Misha of all mascots???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_at_the_Olympics

Looking here, it would seem they're the mascots of important games for Brazil,

The first mutil-gold winning games for Brazil at the Olympics (Moscow 1980)

The most sucessful games in gold won at the Olympics (Athens 2004)

The most sucessful games in medals won at the Paralympics (Beijing 2008)

The most sucessful games in medals won at the Olympics, and the most gold at the Paralympics (London 2012)

I would believe the choices are based on statistics, not politics.

On another note, the IOC rarely "reanimates" mascots for events after the games. If memory serves me right, The last (and only?) time an Olympic mascot came out of retirement was Cobi for the Barcelona leg of the Beijing 2008 torch relay. So for them to send one, let alone three, mascots for a welcome wagon to the newest incarnation is pretty commendable in my book. To be honest, I thought we've seen the last of Wenlock.

• Like 1

The website for the mascots is already online. But of course, the pic with the mascot is broken. :P

http://www.rio2016.com.br/mascote/#!home

And judging for what i read, it seems there's going to be a single mascot this time for each olympic/paralympic edition, much like in London.

It should be today for what I read. Dunno at which exact time, though. Maybe one of our brazilian members here can enlighten us?

Thanks for the info,by the way,to be exact,what is the reveal time?cant wait to see it..it was already 11.22pm in malaysia and im still waiting with passion!

Thanks for the info,by the way,to be exact,what is the reveal time?cant wait to see it..it was already 11.22pm in malaysia and im still waiting with passion!

Between 9 and 11pm on Brazil's time

Right now is 02:18 PM in Brazil, So i guess it would be in 6-7 hours more or less.