Rio 2016 Mascots

When they reach level 16 they will evolve into a stronger form. I hope this improves their appearance too.

Talking seriously now, they are great characters to an official videogame about the Olympics. The organizers could exploit that.

Rio is doing a MUCH better job than London did at how they launch things. From the logo reveal in Copacbana to the way they've done the mascots by bringing together the old gang, I've got to say it's been more impressive than London's various bland launch events and press releases.

Rio have nothing to be embarrassed about.

I do wonder if the first person to see Lisa was a member of the London 2012 PR team ....

• 2 weeks later...

After thinking for a while, I changed my previous opinion and started to like Vinicius and Tom more and more. It gives them a nostalgic feel, which I like and probably will like even more when 10 or so years after the games have passed :) so well done, Brazil.

• Like 1

The unveiling of the name in the TV show Fantástico.

The mascots received ID cards with their names, nice touch.

http://g1.globo.com/fantastico/noticia/2014/12/mascotes-dos-jogos-rio-2016-sao-batizados-de-vinicius-e-tom.html

image12.jpg?w=320

Vinicius and Tom with their IDs

Edited by DannyelBrazil

• 4 weeks later...

Been out of loop with Olympic news lately - but just read about the Rio mascots. Love them!! Great that they are going back to the good old animal mascot :) Both the mascots works really well with Rio 2016 branding and theme. One of my fave mascots of all time!

• 4 months later...
Rio 2016 mascots to become characters in new Cartoon Network series
cartela_serie_final-page-001_0.jpg
Protagonists Vinicius and Tom will entertain audiences of all ages in the new cartoon series (Photo: Rio 2016)

Vinicius and Tom, mascots of the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, will be the stars of an animated series produced by Cartoon Network. The partnership between the Rio 2016 Organising Committee and the channel was announced on Sunday (21), in Flamengo Park. The cartoon, which will be called “Vinicius e Tom - Divertidos por Natureza” (Vinicius and Tom - Fun by Nature), will be aired on pay TV in Brazil and will also be available via the digital platforms of both organizations. The premiere is scheduled for August 5, exactly a year before the ceremony that will open the first Games in South America.

On the small screen, the cartoon super-duo’s adventures will run over 32 episodes of two minutes each. The story will follow the two characters through the forests and urban jungles of Brazil, on a mission to spread Olympic and Paralympic values.

cenario_rio_0.jpg

Inspired by the beaches of Rio de Janeiro, scenes from the cartoon incorporate elements of the Rio 2016 visual identity (Photo: Rio 2016)

This is the first time in the Americas and only the third time in history that the Games’ mascots have been immortalised in TV cartoon form.

"Cartoons are part of the daily lives of all children and we believe the series will enchant not only little kids but adults as well. It will be a showcase for the mascots, the ambassadors of the Rio 2016 Games, and we hope it will help create fond memories of them for years to come," explains Sylmara Multini, Director of Licensing and Retail for Rio 2016 Committee.

Inspired by Brazil’s spectacular flora and fauna, the design of the Rio 2016 mascots incorporates influences from pop culture, animation and video game characters.

With their origins in both fiction and reality, the story goes that on the day it was announced that Rio de Janeiro would host the 2016 Games (2 October 2009) the joy that rocked the Brazilian population was felt by the whole of nature and out of this energy the characters were born (watch the video below).

"The mascots are one of the main ways to engage the public with games. This animated series will give them life, strengthening the emotional bond people have with the event," said Beth Lula, Brand Director for the Rio 2016 Organising Committee.

Cartoon Network was chosen to bring the project to life because of its expertise in children’s content and its familiarity with the infant universe.

"Fun is our speciality. The series is extremely fun and the two characters have a huge affinity with the style and DNA of Cartoon Network. Sport and fun are defining elements in this series," said Daniela Vieira, channel content director in Brazil.

Rio 2016

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-mascots-to-become-characters-in-new-cartoon-network-series

• 2 weeks later...

^^ LMAO. Then I guess this means the similarities with the style of Adventure Time weren't just a coincidence. :lol: then again i'm happy that they're getting with the current trends in order to make the mascots more sucessful with the kids these days.

Now something weird, though. They unveiled "another" mascot, apparently, which will be the mascot of the brazilian delegation in Toronto 2015. But the link also says it will be the mascot for Rio 2016 as well. Which would be a very weird decision IMO.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/jogos-olimpicos/2016/videos/conheca-o-ginga-mascote-do-brasil-no-pan-e-olimpiada,7880199.html

PS: Ginga is a japanese word which means Galaxy. Ironic considering the next host of the games is...

• Like 1

Ginga will be the mascot of the Brazilian Team in intl' competitions, kinda like the Boxing Kangaroo for Australia. And the word ginga is a loanword from Angolan-Portuguese creole which could be translated as swiftness. It's used to describe someone's wit or style in dance or sports context.

• Like 1