Rio 2016 Mascots

Hmmmmmmmmm????????

WANT to like them. But ... I dunno. Gotta ponder on these "critters" for a while, but my initial reaction is I'm underwhelmed.

So, according to the Rio site:

The Olympic mascot represents all of the different animals in Brazil. He combines the agility of cats, the sway of monkeys and the grace of birds. He can stretch his arms and legs as much as he wants. The Paralympic mascot is a fusion of plants found in Brazilian forests. He is energised by photosynthesis and can pull any object from his head of leaves. He is always growing and overcoming obstacles.

So, in other words, the cat/monkey/bird guy is some concoction from the Island of Dr Moreau, and the paralympic guy is in some vegetative state.

The leaf hat, though, at least ads a touch of Carmen Miranda _ as much as I hoped, I really didn't think they'd do that.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the "cat" and the "Carmen Miranda-do of Eba?? But the executions leave much to be desired. I still miss Periera!!

Oba? Like isn't -ma missing?? Are they trying to pander to President Obama? Eba, to the late Israeli prime minister Abba Eban?? Hmmmmmm.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Why people think so hard trying to find references. XD It's like when people said Wenlock and Mandevile were Illuminati eyes back in 2012.

I agree with what some said. I guess they used this style since its the one that appeals the most to children these days (just take a look at Cartoon Network current shows. Most use simple yet colorful styles and are very popular even with adults, such as Adventure Time and Steven Universe).

Hmmmmmmmmm????????

WANT to like them. But ... I dunno. Gotta ponder on these "critters" for a while, but my initial reaction is I'm underwhelmed.

So, according to the Rio site:

So, in other words, the cat/monkey/bird guy is some concoction from the Island of Dr Moreau, and the paralympic guy is in some vegetative state.

The leaf hat, though, at least ads a touch of Carmen Miranda _ as much as I hoped, I really didn't think they'd do that.

lol I love how your signature pic also includes Fatso the Wombat!

^^ Glad to hear that. I liked Fuleco design but I think they tried to imitate Zakumi too much on the style. Plus he got that unfortunate name Fuleco which sounds like a brazilian cussing. I heard many saying "Fuleco sea madre" for example

• Like 1

^^ Glad to hear that. I liked Fuleco design but I think they tried to imitate Zakumi too much on the style. Plus he got that unfortunate name Fuleco which sounds like a brazilian cussing. I heard many saying "Fuleco sea madre" for example

I actually like Fuleco, but yea definitely resembles Zakumi WAY too much!

Despite poor irony and aging sarcasm I read in some comments here, I quite like the mascots. The fauna and the flora was a brillant idea. Not much sure about the Paralympic one, but, as said, those will be a success with kids since, they really look like cartoon-network-poke-digimons-whatever-characters- which is good, Rio2016 OCOG is in synch with the actual world.

The animation of unveiling was superb. Rio videos are the finest as always.

Hope Vinicius and Tom wins, but Oba and Eba are also nice. The other option is too crazy and hard to say even for us Brazilians.

^^ Sadly people would had probably called it cliche. After Sydney 2000 disastrous reception of their mascots, they have been trying too hard to avoid anything which would make people scream "stereotype".

I have to correct you on that one. Disastrous? About the strongest reaction the Sydney mascots ever engendered was indifference. The reaction was not strong one way or the other (certainly nothing like the reactions given to the likes of Cobi, Wenlock & Mandeville or, especially, the notorious Izzy). The one controversy about stereotypes was over the Roos on bikes from the 1996 handover - if anything, the 2000 mascots were seen as keeping well away from the stereotypes of kangaroos or koalas.

The only other time they ever got much attention was during the games when the AOC tried to ban Fatso, because he was taking the limelight away from the official mascots. No, there was no "disastrous" reception to the 2000 mascots. Just mute boredom.

• Like 2

^^ Well, that's what i meant with disastrous. When the mascots failed to generate interest from the people and didn't sold well. The fact a non-official mascot was even more popular than them pretty much summed everything up.

Oh, they sold well enough. Certainly not anything that could be described as disastrous. The Fatso controversy was just a big Aussie in-joke we had with ourselves at the pompous nature of the Olympics and our slack arse attitudes to it. It was a chuckle that, if anything, added to the charm of the games and is celebrated even today as such - Fatso had a statue of his own at Olympic Park to commemorate it, till it was stolen (which even further adds to the legend). I'd put it (the mascots and Fatso hi jinks) in the positive side of our games ledger, certainly not the disaster of the games.

• Like 1

I have to correct you on that one. Disastrous? About the strongest reaction the Sydney mascots ever engendered was indifference. The reaction was not strong one way or the other (certainly nothing like the reactions given to the likes of Cobi, Wenlock & Mandeville or, especially, the notorious Izzy). The one controversy about stereotypes was over the Roos on bikes from the 1996 handover - if anything, the 2000 mascots were seen as keeping well away from the stereotypes of kangaroos or koalas.

What reactions did Cobi face? I like the mascot, but I find it ridiculous they want to call it a cubist rendition of the dog in Picasso's remake of Diego Velasquez's Las Meninas. Picasso hasn't done cubism in over 30 years when he painted those Las Meninas works.

And I don't think the trying to make the mascots less stereotypical after Sydney was all the great either. Look at the Torino mascots (stick figures with a snowball and an ice cube as a head), the Athens mascots (weird looking artifacts) and London mascots (animated liquid steel lol)