Which city has the best chances to host 2024 and 2028 Olympics

Jazz17

Mayor terms don't usually last from now till 2020-ish, right?

None of future Krakow's mayors will back up the bid, considereing 70% opposition in the recent referendum. That would be a political suicide.

And the important question is: why on earth would we bid again?

The "Krakow 2022" thread was started here in September 2013 and I clearly remeber huge critisism of the bid, especially the venue plan using alpine skiing slope based in Slovakia. Any future Polish winter bid will definitelly use Jasna as an alpine skiing venue, so the "bi-national" factor will still be a problem.

Than came the AroundTheRings article, that rated Krakow's bid as the worst (even worse than Lviv's bid), and the infamous Oslo-sucking-up article that ridiculed other bids (Krakow's venues built on potatoes fields, Kazakhstan as a Borat land). No wonder people here thought the bid was pointless since Western media called it the weakest one.

Poland, just like Finland, is just not suited for hosting WOGs :( I think everyone here already dealt with this.

Well, they stage the Games well enough. That's all they owe the IOC. It's their off-the-court actions that gum up the works.

Hm. I suppose so. But the fact remains that both Russian Olympics have left a bad taste in most people's mouths and both of them have helped turn people off of the Olympic movement in general. That is significant. The IOC and other sports bodies should keep it in mind before handing Russia more hosting opportunities.

OK, but how do you say to a host - no, don't put in a bullet train between X and Y; don't build a high-speed train to the mountain resort? Or don't build the world's fanciest airport to welcome us -- just a hangar will do? Or don't put the world's largest jumbotron screen up there? How do you draw the line? All of that is really up to the host. But now, FIFA can surely rescind the 2018 award and that will be a big loss of face for Putin to his people; and will certainly give him pause for thought in his international adventures. But Blatter and Bach putting their heads in the sand and this B/S 'let's not make the athletes suffer' is just pure B/S. They can go find work like everybody else; they don't have to be subsidized.

The ice rink in Guatemala City told the IOC EXACTLY what they would be getting with Sochi and they lapped it up.

I hope it's NYC 2024.

Are you aware that's officially no longer a possibility? The USOC has cut the list of cities under consideration to 4.. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Boston. NYC is no longer in the running. Zero chance (and that's an actual zero, not 'well, pretty close to zero') New York hosts the 2024 Olympics.

Are you aware that's officially no longer a possibility? The USOC has cut the list of cities under consideration to 4.. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Boston. NYC is no longer in the running. Zero chance (and that's an actual zero, not 'well, pretty close to zero') New York hosts the 2024 Olympics.

I'd go for San Francisco then. Although I have a feeling just from the vibe of the city that it's non too chalant about wanting to host the Games that badly. Like it doesn't need to or even want to. Let's see if SF or any of the other cities will have the fervour of the Chicago 2016 bid.

I'd go for San Francisco then. Although I have a feeling just from the vibe of the city that it's non too chalant about wanting to host the Games that badly. Like it doesn't need to or even want to. Let's see if SF or any of the other cities will have the fervour of the Chicago 2016 bid.

UNfortunately, another pipe dream, kevzz. I don't know what the SF fathers are thinking or what they are feeding the USOC, but the city really doesn't have its act together to stage a SOG. It couldn't even land an America's Cup 2 or the proposed George Lucas Museum (not that anything there is over 100 years old) which went to Chicago, let alone a SOG.