Poll Shows Opposition To Oslo 2022 Grows

GBModerator

Or like when GCL keeps harping that Kazakhstan is a "democracy" (he must be on their payroll), while at the same time having the audacity to say that Nazarbayev will be "president for life". Sounds a lot like the Russia/Putin "democracy". Spoken like a true propaganda machine.

Haha i'm not justifying anything GCL says. I don't agree with it. Hell I don't even want an Almaty olympics. Sick of the annoying time zone differences. I'm just sick of hearing how Beijing is top **** when they have enormous flaws. And annoyed at how the IOC manipulated the evaluation rankings.

I wouldn't hate a Beijing games.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

learn to differentiate your a and an please... hell, go review all your grammar.

That's what bothers you about his posts?

. I'm just sick of hearing how Beijing is top **** when they have enormous flaws.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. If we get down to China vs Kazahkstan, China IS top ****, enormous flaws and all.

Haha i'm not justifying anything GCL says. I don't agree with it. Hell I don't even want an Almaty olympics. Sick of the annoying time zone differences. I'm just sick of hearing how Beijing is top **** when they have enormous flaws. And annoyed at how the IOC manipulated the evaluation rankings.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. If we get down to China vs Kazahkstan, China IS top ****, enormous flaws and all.

If Oslo falls apart (this is an Oslo topic, right.. that probably explains why no one is talking about Oslo), then yes, there's an element of reality we have to accept with this one..

3r6vnq.jpg

The evaluation is fair. Almaty has a weak Bid. That's the reality of the situation. You obviously have some sort of obsession with Almaty 2022, otherwise You wouldn't be wrongly claiming that the IOC gave a false evaluation, just to hurt Almaty 2022. Almaty has a weak Bid. The IOC won't give a false evaluation, especially in these desperate Times for the IOC. Beijing has it's issues, so does Almaty. Difference is, Beijing has proven that they can Host a successful Olympic Games, even if it was the Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Almaty hasn't proven themselves. So, in these desperate Times, the IOC don't want to take any risks. IF Oslo withdraw, then Beijing will be the IOC's insurance policy. Almaty is too risky. As You probably know, I have said many Times the issues surrounding China. But I believe those issues aren't as bad as Almaty's issues. Almaty is lucky to even get this far, they have Stockholm and Krakow to Thank for getting this far. If Stockholm, Krakow and Lviv didn't withdraw, then Almaty and Lviv would have been eliminated. No one is claiming Beijing to be on Top, what we are saying is, Beijing is the Best of this bad situation. I didn't contradict Myself earlier. I said, Beijing is the Best of a bad situation. I also stated the issues surrounding China. That isn't a contradiction. I'm saying, that IF Oslo withdraw, we will have 2 risky Bidders in Beijing and Almaty and Beijing would be the least risky out of the Two. Yes, Politics and Geopolitics play a role, but reality and capability also plays a role. What has Kazakhstan done to prove themselves? They CO-Hosted the much smaller Asian Winter Games in 2011 between Astana and Almaty. For whatever reasons they done that, they still done it. We have no proof that they CO-Hosted because of Political reasons, because they wanted to promote the Capital City. There is no proof, maybe Almaty wasn't capable of Hosting them by themselves. Look at the issues surrounding new destinations. Sochi 2014 was surrounded by corruption, anti-gay laws, terrorism, political propaganda, Putin and Delayed constructions. Look at Rio 2016, with it's delayed constructions and on going protests. The only new destination that doesn't have any major issues is PyeongChang 2018. Fact is, the IOC won't give a false evaluation especially in these desperate Times for the IOC and Oslo is the Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan and Almaty is a weak Bid.

Kinda like Rome 2024 and Peru 2028...that'll be the day :rolleyes:

That's it. Both, for whatever their reasons, seem truly taken by their personal Lima/Rome desires, will interpret the tea leaves in any way that supports their wishes, and ignore or not pay attention to any counter arguments or reasons why the object of their dreams may not be as likely as they want to think.

That's it. Both, for whatever their reasons, seem truly taken by their personal Lima/Rome desires, will interpret the tea leaves in any way that supports their wishes, and ignore or not pay attention to any counter arguments or reasons why the object of their dreams may not be as likely as they want to think.

Well as they say, "Ignorance is bliss".

From a risk perspective, it depends how vociferous the majority of the opposition to the bid is. If it's the type of opposition that grumbles but then happily buys tickets in eight years, I think the IOC will happily vote for Oslo over its rivals and breathe a huge sigh of relief. If things get nasty with protests and even small riots, that's when we have a problem.

That's the thing. From the evidence I'm seeing and reading, the opposition in Norway seems to be already beyond a bit of stubborn grumbling from a distance or silent sullen resentment. The opposition seems to be more vehement than most, and really controlling the debate, particularly through social media. I could easily see, if Oslo lasts the distance and gets elected, the opposition getting even more strident, and physical, if such a large dedicated opposition segment feels they've had the games foisted on them against the will of the people. It's hardly an enticing prospect for the IOC board to consider, IMO.

But then again, yes, it all has to be seen through the prism of the only alternative being two cities that are everything the IOC's media tracking, polling and private discussions would be telling them to avoid like the plague at the moment anyway.

the 2022 race is really such a dismaying contest.

The evaluation is fair. Almaty has a weak Bid. That's the reality of the situation. You obviously have some sort of obsession with Almaty 2022, otherwise You wouldn't be wrongly claiming that the IOC gave a false evaluation, just to hurt Almaty 2022. Almaty has a weak Bid. The IOC won't give a false evaluation, especially in these desperate Times for the IOC. Beijing has it's issues, so does Almaty. Difference is, Beijing has proven that they can Host a successful Olympic Games, even if it was the Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Almaty hasn't proven themselves. So, in these desperate Times, the IOC don't want to take any risks. IF Oslo withdraw, then Beijing will be the IOC's insurance policy. Almaty is too risky. As You probably know, I have said many Times the issues surrounding China. But I believe those issues aren't as bad as Almaty's issues. Almaty is lucky to even get this far, they have Stockholm and Krakow to Thank for getting this far. If Stockholm, Krakow and Lviv didn't withdraw, then Almaty and Lviv would have been eliminated. No one is claiming Beijing to be on Top, what we are saying is, Beijing is the Best of this bad situation. I didn't contradict Myself earlier. I said, Beijing is the Best of a bad situation. I also stated the issues surrounding China. That isn't a contradiction. I'm saying, that IF Oslo withdraw, we will have 2 risky Bidders in Beijing and Almaty and Beijing would be the least risky out of the Two. Yes, Politics and Geopolitics play a role, but reality and capability also plays a role. What has Kazakhstan done to prove themselves? They CO-Hosted the much smaller Asian Winter Games in 2011 between Astana and Almaty. For whatever reasons they done that, they still done it. We have no proof that they CO-Hosted because of Political reasons, because they wanted to promote the Capital City. There is no proof, maybe Almaty wasn't capable of Hosting them by themselves. Look at the issues surrounding new destinations. Sochi 2014 was surrounded by corruption, anti-gay laws, terrorism, political propaganda, Putin and Delayed constructions. Look at Rio 2016, with it's delayed constructions and on going protests. The only new destination that doesn't have any major issues is PyeongChang 2018. Fact is, the IOC won't give a false evaluation especially in these desperate Times for the IOC and Oslo is the Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan and Almaty is a weak Bid.

HongKong and Macao are technically part of China, so I don't believe "international relations" would be the best word to describe the relationship.

#CGPGreyFanClub

HongKong and Macao are technically part of China, so I don't believe "international relations" would be the best word to describe the relationship.

#CGPGreyFanClub

In theory, that's disputed. Hong Kong classifies themselves as a Country. China classifies Hong Kong as part of China. Hong Kong competes separately in Football and the Summer and Winter Olympics.

At least Rome, Italy has a more realistic chance of Hosting the Summer Olympics then Lima, Peru does. I just feel that it's Rome's turn. If they didn't withdraw from the 2020 race, then Tokyo and Rome would have been the Favourites.

In theory, that's disputed. Hong Kong classifies themselves as a Country. China classifies Hong Kong as part of China. Hong Kong competes separately in Football and the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Many NOCs and FIFA members do not represent independent countries - you as an Englishman should know about that for sure.

Hong Kong is internationally undisputedly acknowledged as Special Administrative Region of China (People's Republic, to be precise there), as far as I know.

The fact that it has its own national football team or sending athletes to the WOG/SOG doesn't make it a country. Where does HK classify itself like that?

From the official website of the government of Hong Kong:

Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Following British rule from 1842 to 1997, China assumed sovereignty under the 'one country, two systems' principle. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region's constitutional document, the Basic Law, ensures that the current political situation will remain in effect for 50 years. The rights and freedoms of people in Hong Kong are based on the impartial rule of law and an independent judiciary.

IKR OMFG LOVEY DOVE SAMIE SAME SAME

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS ME

I didn't put that to be funny. I just didn't want to be taken seriously for HongKong2024. Can you not understand the how some peoples' writing works? mr bernham was just expressing his confusion whist informing us about his opinion. I was not trying to be funny.

Archived