Sign in to follow this  
DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 look of the games unveiled!

Take a "look"

Designs based on Rio’s iconic skyline will adorn the competition venues and colour the city, also featuring on tickets and uniforms

rio2016_cenario.jpg

The new visual identity of the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games features iconic city landmarks (Photo: Rio 2016)

c9e2ad0b7d56b534b6174ccc6af98b14_6-rio-2

065167b5d76859bff78f97c7fc930690_5-rio-2

d06c06db625109a677f89e835f888280_7-rio-2

The football host cities

rio2016_cid_futebol_01.jpg

The girls and the hidden guy are not part of the look of the games.

1b922ec6da0f2ac642abac5c72c81596_8-rio-2

Website

10007009_1518617468352970_30031589370938

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 3

Thanks for starting the thread Danny. I thought it should break out of the general news one.

Still digesting it. I like how it looks in the renders of the stadiums. Not sure if I'm really liking the football cities ones, or the overall Rio canvas. But I guess like Torino's Piazza, it's meant to be seen more as snippets in the actual signage and bunting.

Definitely like the colours.

• Like 1

I liked it. But, somehow, I think the design will say more for Brazilians than for foreigners. I can see dozens, if not hundreds of Rio landscapes, rocks, curves of beaches, icons, landmarks, monuments inside of the main piece, which is nice, but I'm not sure if for foreigners the graphics will just look like a lot of crazy curved lines Copacabana-sidewalk-like.

rio2016_cenario.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen enough pictures of Rio over the past five plus years to recognise a lot of them myself - you'd see even more of course.

More I'm looking at it, more it is fitting in with my notion of a Carioca and Brazilian "vibe".

• Like 1

I liked also the fact I see some reference to the Brazilian paisagist Burle Marx, who loved to create gardens, sidewalks patterns and urban spaces using curves and colors.

I've seen enough pictures of Rio over the past five plus years to recognise a lot of them myself - you'd see even more of course.

More I'm looking at it, more it is fitting in with my notion of a Carioca and Brazilian "vibe".

So, this is good! :)

And, somehow, I think the general audience would expect something very colourful and curly from Rio... Rio 2016 played safe again.

One more thing, the main piece, you can (forcing it a bit, of course) read "Rio" with the lines, several times...

And, somehow, I think the general audience would expect something very colourful and curly from Rio... Rio 2016 played safe again.

Yeah, it's certainly not trying to be edgy or push the boundaries.

• Like 2

More stuff from Rio 2016 Look of the games

• Like 1

No surprises here, I guess this is what most people would expect from Rio. It's funny to look for the hidden landmarks on it. I also like how it looks on the website.

Have they said anything about when they'll launch the mascot?

Like everything Rio has unveiled so far, this is very slick indeed and easy on the eye. Seems to combine the colour and feel of Athens with the boldness, continuity and visual clarity of London along with the architectural cues from Torino. Not groundbreaking so far, but seems to have taken what works from previous looks and run with those ideas.

Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 4

You read my mind Rob. You can definitely see influences in there from past looks, especially Torino, thats a good thing. Learn from previous hosts and then do your thing.

I do find the whole Rio identity so far to be a little safe, its not taking any leaps forward that future hosts can add their spin too. Its looking back to see what worked before and not really challenging anything or anyone, but you have to admit it is very easy on the eye and coming together really well.

There is also see a nod to the Brasil 2014 stuff. Keep up the good work Rio

Edited by daveypodmore

I really like it.

Would be nice if someone here could show us all landscapes/landmarks that are hidden in the "look" :D

really like it - reminds me of turin in 2006 (as everyone has said). it is what i expected them to come up with to be honest. so they have played safe - and why not?

the whole design element to rio is really shaping up - bravo! don't like the football city logos though!

ps where are the mascots?

That first image's color palette is a bit too.. neon(?). Hard on the eyes, y'know? but everything else is well used. The renderings are looking great, the site's looking great, it continues the flowy/curvy theme. Good job Rio :)

I would guess (and the venue images seem to suggest it) that the neon vom is a montage of everything from which the design team will choose appropriate elements for each application. I wouldn't expect to see it plastered on things by itself.

• Like 1

I took 12 years to finally get a city that would have as great a look if not better then Sydney's. Well done Rio, well done.

Then again Athens had some nice elements and London had some good ideas. Rio has taken everything that worked from past looks to create something fantastic...might be my new favorite look.

• Like 2

After the bold experiment that was London's look this is playing it really safe. Still, looks slick - and those things tend to look a lot better on TV and in person that they do in renders, anyway.

Overall I'm pretty confident it will look good.

London's stadia look ended up playing quite safe in the end anyway, and from the renders it looks like Rio will too. Also worth noting that despite all the fuss over the logos of each games you actually rarely see them during coverage of the games themselves with the rings taking president (as they should) inside the stadia and on TV coverage.