Rio 2016 look of the games unveiled!

Something like giant leaves would be too predictable and I'm glad they didn't go for something that literal. To me, all the shapes created by those curving lines already suggest the shape of foliage anyway. But they also suggest the undulating waves of Rio's surrounding waters, the rounded peaks of the city's mountains, and the enveloping warmness of its people.

That sounds like it was taken straight from the press release, but I genuinely see it that way. They hit the mark with the design and I am now eager to see its many applications.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A more successful design may take something predictable and infuse it with innovation and surprise or extraordinary beauty, or even better creating a new design vocabulary that is so innovative and sound that it is an evolutionary visual moment that becomes a part of the the future image of rio.

This regurgitation of predictable colors and design cues has no long term value and does nothing to advance the cultural and artistic impression of Rio. A truly regrettable missed opportunity that has no excuse given the projects international exposure and access to the highest level of creative professionals in the design world.

Something like giant leaves would be too predictable and I'm glad they didn't go for something that literal. To me, all the shapes created by those curving lines already suggest the shape of foliage anyway. But they also suggest the undulating waves of Rio's surrounding waters, the rounded peaks of the city's mountains, and the enveloping warmness of its people.

That sounds like it was taken straight from the press release, but I genuinely see it that way. They hit the mark with the design and I am now eager to see its many applications.

What you're imagining and what I'm imagining are clearly not the same thing.

The bid logo was inspired by a monstera leaf, but it didn't scream "leaf." Plus, frankly there comes a time when everything is geometric and abstract and it all feels derivative. There's room to go a different way.

However, I see zero value in arguing about the merits of hypothetical concepts locked in our heads.

I don't get the sense of foliage from the current look at all unless you're alluding to the mere prevalence of green which isn't enough to do it for me. Take the green away and there's nothing that even remotely suggests foliage.

A more successful design may take something predictable and infuse it with innovation and surprise or extraordinary beauty, or even better creating a new design vocabulary that is so innovative and sound that it is an evolutionary visual moment that becomes a part of the the future image of rio.

This regurgitation of predictable colors and design cues has no long term value and does nothing to advance the cultural and artistic impression of Rio. A truly regrettable missed opportunity that has no excuse given the projects international exposure and access to the highest level of creative professionals in the design world.

Well, you have to consider the audience. They're not playing to graphic designers. I think this look will have popular appeal and will support the idea of Rio as a sunny, happy party paradise. That's ultimately what they're selling.

They're not trying to market themselves a a design capital or major hub of style and visual innovation. If they were, the look would be a disaster.

As such, it will be a pleasant, if incredibly safe and predictable backdrop for their two-week party.

All in all, I think it gives a nice overall impression and has more to recommend it than London did.

Rio is not symetrical, monochromatic or under some circunstamces a mature city... That's why many Rio-related logo/design have this "informal, childish" look. It's part of the atmosphere of the city.

For those who ever been to Rio, the look will bring memories from the city.

I understand for those not very used to the place it does not means much.

But part of what Paul said I agree and I think would fit wonderfully... for Sao Paulo.

Why? It's another chaotic city in Brazil, but industrial, no beach, no forest, not many curves, a city known for its modernist archtecture, for its hard working people, for amazing nightlife, for lined huge highways...

Rio is totally the opposite: chaotic, colorful, curly, full of crazy angled mountains, horseshoe-shaped beaches... Apart of Presidente Vargas Avenue, I think there is not straight avenue in Rio. Even most of our subway stations are built in curves...
Any straight, monochromatic, symetrical, squared element to anything related to Rio would look so weird. I think I can't recall any logo related to Rio that does not contain curves or/and assymetrical style...

festrio.jpg

rio+de+janeiro.jpg

Logo_metro_rio.jpg

rock-in-rio-logo.jpg

riogaleao_prioritaria_rgb_positiva-logo.

Official brand of Brazil:
BRASIL_NOVO_1por.jpg?__scale=w:475,h:411

Please locals, don't just LOVE it cuz it"s Brazilian boor, be honest and look again, it's really bad work.

I still like it, Paul, more than that, I feel represented by it.

And to be really honest, I'm not surprised you didn't like.

You may like or you may not, but the truth is, from a local POV: the look have lots to do with the city.

Not everything and every colour has to be used all at the same time. A bit more restraint would mean a lot more impact I think.

^^This I agree totally.

I do see restraint in this look. It isn't splashing "every color" everywhere. There's a heavy reliance on the cool hues -- green and blue dominate. The hot hues -- yellow and orange --are just accents (at least they ought to be). Although there's a tiny but of red, magenta and purple in the "blob" so far those colors have not made any appearance in the renderings.

The palette is actually quite limited: green and blue plus orange and yellow. That seems very retrained to me and it certainly doesn't qualify as "every color everywhere."

They just have to keep the orange in check. It needs to be almost 3/4 cool and just 1/4 hot.

The only problem I have is that the look feels a bit too restrictive/restrained if you look at how those curvy lines that cut through and burst out of the main thing (which quite frankly make it look like a wannabe, yet failed cloud [not that it matters, anyway. Everything outside of the focus areas will get cropped out, but it really bothers me more than it should]). The logo's that Danny showed seem free and open with beautiful, simplistic overlapping that goes easy on the eyes and with clear distinction, whereas the blob looks like a mushed mosaic with curves. I know some of the [somewhat random] color transitions are intentional, but some of them look a bit too unnecessary. The whole thing looks very Rio/Brazilian, but it is not the same Rio that's found in the logo's of Rio [shown so far on here]. The look feels more wild and jungl-y and mushy, and not particularly fitting with the games logo (color palette, simplicity, style, etc). Curvy? Yes. Cliché to tourists? Yes. Relatable to Locals. Sure. overall it's okay. It'll probably look nicer irl or during the games I suppose. Buildup and use may probably change my thought, but yeah, it's fine for now (kinda). Can't imagine how it would look to have the logo plastered on the decoration, but as long as there's some white space, I think it should be fine. Also, could it hurt to have some white in there?

3-5-stars-1024x238.png

3.5 - 4 stars

Based on the Semi-unofficial-official Woohoo scale of opinion

referring to the "blob", BTW:

rio_2016_look_main_graphic.jpg

Yes, but I don't think the blob is ever going to appear by itself. It seems to just be an image they put together as a way of unveiling the look. It's not as if we'll see the whole blob floating on fence fabric. They appear to only be using excerpts and close-ups of it.

^^it seems the blob won't appear during the games, but cuts of it.

rio-look-of-the-games-panel-2.jpg

Or not...

rio-look-of-the-games-panel-1.jpg?w=520&

look at the copybook....

They just have to keep the orange in check. It needs to be almost 3/4 cool and just 1/4 hot.

6967946610_91e602e113_z.jpg

^^Our favourite look had a lot of hot colours on it.

Yes, but I don't think the blob is ever going to appear by itself. It seems to just be an image they put together as a way of unveiling the look. It's not as if we'll see the whole blob floating on fence fabric. They appear to only be using excerpts and close-ups of it.

Exactly. Just like Torino's piazza main canvas, you only see it in full in the graphic manuals. In games modes, only in excerpts. You won't ever see the cloud in full at the venues.

it's not even the fear of seeing the blob in it's globular entirety that is concerning....it's that the whole is such a weak design even in it's entirety that the "cut's" become just a fraction of mediocre work to start with, and are very weak as stand alone elements, even given their little iconic nods and winks.

when the cuts are simply used on banners and trim such as the examples we have seen the effect is plain and generic, nothing new, nothing ingenious, nothing elevated, all expected and seen before.

i don't think it really matters much, it'll do the job, but when you imagine the possibilities it really sucks ass that the Rio organization ended up here.

^^it seems the blob won't appear during the games, but cuts of it.

rio-look-of-the-games-panel-2.jpg

Or not...

rio-look-of-the-games-panel-1.jpg?w=520&

look at the copybook....

6967946610_91e602e113_z.jpg

^^Our favourite look had a lot of hot colours on it.

Jeez, Danny, come on.

For starters, that one image in my signature is taken out of context of the overall look. Athens had a varied palette at every venue.

I'm not saying EVERY look has to have that same balance of cool and hot. That would be stupid. I'm saying that Rio will look best if the hot colors are an accent and I stand by that. Equal parts blue, green, orange yellow is not going to work well. Look at the pictures and you can see that the ones that are most effective just use the orange/yellow for spice.

So far, the only place you've shown the blob in its entirety is on one souvenir pad of paper. If that's pretty much the most we see of it (and that appears likely), fine. None of the environmental applications use the whole blob, just excerpts.

I do love the "guitar picks."

A more realistic view of Athens look:

LookA04-3.jpg

Note: colors do NOT all appear in equal proportions. The analogous color scheme was not used by itself during the Games.

Athens_2004_Olympics_06.gif

Note: even for Athens the emphasis tends to be on the cool colors -- in this case blue -- just not to the same extent I'm suggesting for Rio.

01Mistake.jpg

More emphasis on cool:

Athenes2004-6.jpg

Even on the ribbons for the medals:

83104_OlympicMedals.jpg

The cover of the official look book for Athens (cool dominates again):

01cover_001.jpg

Cool emphasized in the banners:

202_galery_big.jpg

:) Athens had a lovely colour pallette...I think Rio is similar but will agree that they are being restrained...Hoping for an almighty splash of vibrant colours everywhere.

But then we are still two years out...and we are expecting a party on a global scale... ^_^

the main color influences for A04 were the greek sea, bougainvillea, and the color of stone of ancient sites.

i think the vertical graphic below best represents Athens overarching look ideas and influences and why they relate to one another, and it is the most beautiful representation of all the ideas together in a sequence that flows better than some of the more mixed manners they were used.

lookofthegamesbh4.jpg

some of Athens colors and super-graphics were over mixed in my opinion, juxtaposing harsh very contrasting colors in semi-rectilinear collages such as below seems sort of uneasy. What allowed this sometimes harsh color mix to work seemed to be the simplicity of the expansive blue sky and consistently elegant white venue environments, without those constants I think this look would be considered busy in the way they sometimes over mixed in larger application......if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Athenes2004-6.jpg

LookA04-3.jpg

the main color influences for A04 were the greek sea, bougainvillea, and the color of stone of ancient sites.

i think the vertical graphic below best represents Athens overarching look ideas and influences and why they relate to one another, and it is the most beautiful representation of all the ideas together in a sequence that flows better than some of the more mixed manners they were used.

lookofthegamesbh4.jpg

some of Athens colors and super-graphics were over mixed in my opinion, juxtaposing harsh very contrasting colors in semi-rectilinear collages such as below seems sort of uneasy. What allowed this sometimes harsh color mix to work seemed to be the simplicity of the expansive blue sky and consistently elegant white venue environments, without those constants I think this look would be considered busy in the way they sometimes over mixed in larger application......if ya know what I'm sayin'.

To me, that first image is not very representative of what I actually saw in Athens. I really didn't see beige anywhere. A little gray, but no beige. And for the most part the hues were not clustered analogously the way they are in that example.

As for the juxtapositions and harsh contrasts it worked precisely because the backdrops were so consistently white and blue. If EVERYTHING had been equally colorful it would have been nauseating. That's why the look was so well suited to Athens. They knew their city, their venues, their environment and the look worked with it rather than against it.

Jeez, Danny, come on.

pff... useless

The rest we sort of agree...

For starters, that one image in my signature is taken out of context of the overall look. Athens had a varied palette at every venue.

True, but when they used the hot colours, I liked.

I'm not saying EVERY look has to have that same balance of cool and hot. That would be stupid. I'm saying that Rio will look best if the hot colors are an accent and I stand by that. Equal parts blue, green, orange yellow is not going to work well. Look at the pictures and you can see that the ones that are most effective just use the orange/yellow for spice.

Yes, you're right on it.

So far, the only place you've shown the blob in its entirety is on one souvenir pad of paper. If that's pretty much the most we see of it (and that appears likely), fine. None of the environmental applications use the whole blob, just excerpts.

I think the same. We will rarely see the blob, probably only on souvenirs or other book/graphical stuff.

I do love the "guitar picks."

I like them, but I'm starting to get tired of them...

___

it's not even the fear of seeing the blob in it's globular entirety that is concerning....it's that the whole is such a weak design even in it's entirety that the "cut's" become just a fraction of mediocre work to start with, and are very weak as stand alone elements, even given their little iconic nods and winks.

when the cuts are simply used on banners and trim such as the examples we have seen the effect is plain and generic, nothing new, nothing ingenious, nothing elevated, all expected and seen before.

i don't think it really matters much, it'll do the job, but when you imagine the possibilities it really sucks ass that the Rio organization ended up here.

Relax, Paul...

maracuj%C3%A1.jpg

You should have some Passion Fruit juice to calm down.

It's just some graphics you didn't like, not the end of the world.

I liked it. But, somehow, I think the design will say more for Brazilians than for foreigners. I can see dozens, if not hundreds of Rio landscapes, rocks, curves of beaches, icons, landmarks, monuments inside of the main piece, which is nice, but I'm not sure if for foreigners the graphics will just look like a lot of crazy curved lines Copacabana-sidewalk-like.

rio2016_cenario.jpg

There's imbalance for pastel colours, specially green. The internal waves are pleasant when the border ones make the look a little big.

There's imbalance for pastel colours, specially green. The internal waves are pleasant when the border ones make the look a little big.

The palette is wrong in this image, the real one is less saturated.

The Subway of Rio new look

IMG_7328_30_33.jpg?1409032554

IMG_7001.jpg?1409032365

IMG_7451_59.jpg?1409032851

IMG_7481.jpg?1409032850

Archived