Rio 2016 look of the games unveiled!

rio-2016-look-of-the-games.png

4282329992_41bfdd4257_z.jpg

It's all waves and curves at the end of the day, with city specific icons placed within. It's fine, it's a very typical application of cropping a large graphic that previous hosts have done, but there's nothing new here and certainly isn't yet at the integrated level that London achieved across all applications.

Yes, but you cherry-picked an isolated image that lent itself to that comparison. I do not think the overall impressions are similar at all.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Athens 2004 for me is the best of the best.

I loved Altanta 1996 too (all those 90's-style graphics).

Rio is one of my favourites, but maybeone step behind Athens and Atlanta.

In the end of the day, I see many similarities among all of the previous looks.

I loved Altanta 1996 too (all those 90's-style graphics).

Rio is one of my favourites, but maybeone step behind Athens and Atlanta.

In the end of the day, I see many similarities among all of the previous looks.

For me, Athens 2004 hosted the most beautiful stadiums, the most beautiful Logo and the most beautiful 'Look'.

But Rio, with its 3D Logo and its vibrant colors, is among the best too. In recent games, I also loved Sydney and Beijing.

For me, Athens 2004 hosted the most beautiful stadiums, the most beautiful Logo and the most beautiful 'Look'.

I agree. I'd add "most beautiful ceremonies" to the list. Athens may not have been the most fiscally wise host, but their Games were stunningly beautiful.

I think Rio's look is coming together very nicely too. It's true that it isn't revolutionary, but I think that's ok. It suits them and it is very cohesive. All the components work together extremely well.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a very cohesive and appealing look.

It would be nice to see somebody experiment with non-traditional applications. I loved LA's sonotubes, scaffolding monuments, giant floating stars, atypical tent shapes, etc. It's getting to the point where all the hosts are using basically the same canvas and just putting a different graphic on it. I don't mean to take anything away from Rio's look because I quite like it, but it would be nice to see somebody think a bit more out of the box.

I think it is looking great- and the colours really capture the colourful forests, rivers, cities and beaches in a crazy swirl of activity and passion. I really disliked London's hard, angular, dated colours- way too try hard that didn't integrate with the torch, cauldron, the city or the country.

As great as Sydney was, the sub-graphics were an incredibly 'neutral' statement.... in a way respecting the competition arena and competitors.

Beautiful new renders! It's nice to find all the landmarks amongst the graphics.

It would be nice to see somebody experiment with non-traditional applications. I loved LA's sonotubes, scaffolding monuments, giant floating stars, atypical tent shapes, etc. It's getting to the point where all the hosts are using basically the same canvas and just putting a different graphic on it. I don't mean to take anything away from Rio's look because I quite like it, but it would be nice to see somebody think a bit more out of the box.

I agree, some experimentation would be nice to see. I suppose it is possible that the IOC has set up standards for Look applications that would prohibit LA-style, three-dimensional experimentation nowadays. They seem to control these things pretty strictly from what I gather.

Some of the only memorable examples of a host trying something different with temporary, three-dimensional applications are Sydney's use of these lifeguard tower-like structures and the entrance gates to London's Olympic Park.

hero-dotdash-sydney-2.jpg

OG5.jpg

7777047416_09b07e5cbb_z.jpg

Still, nothing as memorable or as impactful as LA's sonotubes, stars, and tents. Maybe Rio can get creative with its three-dimensional logo?

vprio2016.jpg

This looks so perfect to me. The look screams "RIOOOOOOOO" too loud for me.

It's colourful, a bit chaotic and very curly as many design things we see around Rio area (from sidewalk patterns, to carnaval, to crazy things like bus painting schemes or Selaron Stairway in Lapa or beach bikinis - Yes, I see some reference to bikinis in this look, on the curvy lines).

Not sure if it's the best look of the games ever, this is so personal and of course I would be biased to claim such thing, but, for sure, the look is very carioca... It does fit the landscapes and the city of Rio so perfectly.

Brazil IS green- it is tropical and lush.....Rio is in a sea of tropical gardens......so too much green is never enough!

This green looks much better than the lurid lime from some if the earlier posts. It needs the orange to add some spice to the cool colors. I do love the blue and green at the aquatics venue.

Looking at the latest picture it looks very busy with everything seemingly thrown at one venue application. I hope they're a bit more economical with the various elements in two years, because the Look has the potential to be great but isn't quite there right now looking at the renders.

Not everything and every colour has to be used all at the same time. A bit more restraint would mean a lot more impact I think.

rio_2016_look_process.jpg

this is the most unimportant unimaginative unfinished look of games i have ever seen.

i waited a while to comment because i truly cannot believe what we are being fed.

other comments i agree with from Brand New:

-Every bit of branding that comes out of Brazil would look better on a Capri-sun pouch.

-I find it really unpleasant, in the sense that it feels extremely unrefined and inelegant. The line work looks hastily executed and over-corrected at the software level. It also reminds me of those abstract drawings you make as a child, with a bunch of random overlapping lines and filled-in spaces.

-Looks like the decor of a 10 year old restaurant you would find in a shopping mall.

-No.

-I feel like we've returned to the early 2000's sport aesthetic of blue/green waves everywhere. London and Sochi were paving a new path, this has just gone so far backwards.

-I don't see any genitals so it's already off to a good start.

-Might as well have called in Romero Britto to do this, and call it a day. I'm cringing.
-At least use better colors than the default illustrator palette.

-Please locals, don't just LOVE it cuz it"s Brazilian boor, be honest and look again, it's really bad work.

.......V did it to death and in much greater detail. V was a little scary at times but at least they poured their heart and tons of effort and talent into it. This R effort is so juvenile and basic, i see no originality in this work and just tons of Olympic, color and Rio cliches.

...was really hoping for something beyond basic curves-color and Christ.

I expect a parade of feathered carnival queens will be the main "idea" for the OC now.

It is basic. It's not original. But it does make for pleasant environments.

I disagree with Rob about it being too busy. The only picture whereI felt that was a danger was the boxing venue. But then, to my taste London was too plain and there was no "there there" -- hence the excessive reliance on the word mark to compensate for the nearly non-existent design.

I admit I hoped for more from Rio, especially after the brilliant bid logo. I would've loved to see something with more of an Amazon influence, giant leaves, etc. That said, I don't think this is bad. It's just very predictable. As near as I can tell the blob is merely the source from which they mine graphic excerpts and isn't likely to be used much on its own.

Archived