Rio 2016 look of the games unveiled!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess (and the venue images seem to suggest it) that the neon vom is a montage of everything from which the design team will choose appropriate elements for each application. I wouldn't expect to see it plastered on things by itself.

This one seems more accurate if you base it off of the renderings:

Rios_landscapes_helped_formed_the_design

Like everything Rio has unveiled so far, this is very slick indeed and easy on the eye. Seems to combine the colour and feel of Athens with the boldness, continuity and visual clarity of London along with the architectural cues from Torino. Not groundbreaking so far, but seems to have taken what works from previous looks and run with those ideas.

Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

That's precisely the proccess of artistic creation of 1920's Brazilian Modernism. It's called Anthropophagy: Brazilian Art couldn't deny the influence from European Art. The modernists, thus, devoured all the influences they could and Brazilified it all with curves, sounds and tropical references. Anthropophagy is also the ritual in which Native Brazilians devoured the best parts of invaders and foreigners to absorb their strengths. This is also the same proccess of other avant-gard initiatives of the 60's (Tropicalism) and 90's (Manguebeat).

Modernist canvas Abaporu is created by the process applied to Rodin's The Thinker

abaporu-tarsila_sm.jpg170px-Paris_2010_-_Le_Penseur.jpg

You can see how previous olympic references were put together in this look. I love how Rio 2016 integrates itself to the Brazilian visual arts. The games will look great and very Brazilian.

It's very nice! It needs a little more texture maybe, but the colors are great and I have no doubt that it will look good on television.

My favorite application is probably the cover of that book - fantastic!

Also love how the visual references to landmarks become so noticeable when parts of the main graphic are cropped and enlarged. I imagine they will stand out in close-up shots very nicely.

It harmonizes very well with everything they've already got going on (logo, font, pictograms).

I don't care for the lurid green field hockey venue though. Blechhh!!!

Ewww!!! The lurid green volleyball is even worse! Pic just showed up.

They do look horrible but seem to me to just be bad color correction. Hopefully anyway.

Very similar to Vancouver's. It'll be interesting to see its actual implementation in the venues, because at the moment it overpowers the rings and wordmark to an extent that I'm surprised the IOC won't be having words.

It's nice. It's very Brazilian. It's very sporting. That's everything I can muster at the moment.

I am very much in love with this look, its quite different from London (no pointy bits) and focuses on curves!

Very interested to see what the uniforms, tickets, merchandise and mascots will look like!!

But one thing IS for sure...its shaping up well for Rio (at long last!)

Very similar to Vancouver's. It'll be interesting to see its actual implementation in the venues, because at the moment it overpowers the rings and wordmark to an extent that I'm surprised the IOC won't be having words.

It's nice. It's very Brazilian. It's very sporting. That's everything I can muster at the moment.

I don't think it looks anything like Vancouver.

Vancouver had an analogous color scheme. Rio doesn't.

Vancouver was highly detailed. Rio isn't.

I do see the Torino comparison, but Rio is much more fluid rather than architectural and angular. Also it doesn't feature the black that Torino incorporated.

It's a bright, sunny look that suits Rio. There are some very appealing shots in this thread. The only ones that worry me are the venue dressings. That green is awful.

I think those pictures are shown in RGB (to cause more saturation in TV and computers), when printed in CMYK, they won't get that "neon".

Danny. they're NOT colorful enough. Besides, where's Carmen? j/k.

Did I say something?

I don't think it looks anything like Vancouver.

rio-2016-look-of-the-games.png

4282329992_41bfdd4257_z.jpg

It's all waves and curves at the end of the day, with city specific icons placed within. It's fine, it's a very typical application of cropping a large graphic that previous hosts have done, but there's nothing new here and certainly isn't yet at the integrated level that London achieved across all applications.

Well, of course it isn't, we've only seen half a dozen renders! Nothing "real" yet (except the website)

Though I can see the comparison with Vancouver now. I couldn't before (my memory of their graphic was a lot of white with pastel blue and whites)

It's all waves and curves at the end of the day, with city specific icons placed within. It's fine, it's a very typical application of cropping a large graphic that previous hosts have done, but there's nothing new here and certainly isn't yet at the integrated level that London achieved across all applications.

I did not like the 'look' of London 2012. I prefer Vancouver and Rio, from the colors to the logo. But comparing with other host cities, Athens 2004 for me is the best of the best.

Rio is borrowing as much from Vancouver (curvilinear shapes and lines with specific visual references to local imagery and landmarks) as it is from Torino (a very similar color palette and the idea of cropping out a large, central graphic in application). What's more, Rio is actually addressing the major 'criticisms' of Vancouver (limited color pallet) and Torino (the piazza graphic was totally lost when cropped out in applications).

I can see them applying London's 'one- color-combination-per-venue' approach as well.

It's great and should be expected that Rio's look is an evolution of established ideas, if you ask me. While host changes, the duties of a Look program don't. It's hard to imagine anything really straying from what's been done for the last 20+ years.

Archived