Future Brisbane bid?

Believe it or not, despite having hosted 2000, I'd argue that Melbourne is just as prepared in vital areas as Sydney is to stage an Olympics. The most glaringly obvious shortcoming for Melbourne is a lack of slalom/rowing venue - but aside from that it isn't far off Sydney.

If Melbourne were to go for it over the next decade or soon I could see a bid focused on a development around Fisherman's Bend - a smaller, second cluster of venues to compliment the existing 1956/2006 Games cluster around the MCG/Olympic Park.

The only extravagance Melbourne would go for would be perhaps a new aquatic centre? MSAC cant really expand and is already about 25 years old.

I could see an Aquatic Venue build along the lower Yarra.

MSAC has the more recent "outdoor" (it has a roof but open ended) pool used for the CG's in 2006. The capacity for the CG's was 10,000. A possible scenario is a temporary venue just across the road built into the Bob Jane athletics stadium. That way MSAC can be used for diving and water polo - making it the Aquatic cluster. Triathlon would be staged at the nearby St Kilda Beach (otherwise possibly using Albert Lake and the Grand Prix course?). As for rowing there is a course near Ballarat (80km) and Nagambie (138km). Otherwise a temp course at the Docklands?

The village is the tricky part. Most of the proposed 1996 village area (Docklands) is now built up high density apartment buildings. There are tentative plans to cover the Flinders Street railyards but a village in the heart of the city would be a security nightmare.

MSAC has the more recent "outdoor" (it has a roof but open ended) pool used for the CG's in 2006. The capacity for the CG's was 10,000. A possible scenario is a temporary venue just across the road built into the Bob Jane athletics stadium. That way MSAC can be used for diving and water polo - making it the Aquatic cluster. Triathlon would be staged at the nearby St Kilda Beach (otherwise possibly using Albert Lake and the Grand Prix course?). As for rowing there is a course near Ballarat (80km) and Nagambie (138km). Otherwise a temp course at the Docklands?

The village is the tricky part. Most of the proposed 1996 village area (Docklands) is now built up high density apartment buildings. There are tentative plans to cover the Flinders Street railyards but a village in the heart of the city would be a security nightmare.

I think west of Bolte along the river somewhere would be the best bet. Close to airport access, and close enough to inner city venues (permitting Olympic lanes along WG Fwy/CityLink)

I thought the pool's capacity was 9,000.

Believe it or not, despite having hosted 2000, I'd argue that Melbourne is just as prepared in vital areas as Sydney is to stage an Olympics. The most glaringly obvious shortcoming for Melbourne is a lack of slalom/rowing venue - but aside from that it isn't far off Sydney.

If Melbourne were to go for it over the next decade or soon I could see a bid focused on a development around Fisherman's Bend - a smaller, second cluster of venues to compliment the existing 1956/2006 Games cluster around the MCG/Olympic Park.

The only extravagance Melbourne would go for would be perhaps a new aquatic centre? MSAC cant really expand and is already about 25 years old.

I could see an Aquatic Venue build along the lower Yarra.

We do have a Rowing venue. The Natiional Water Sports Centre at Bangholme. it was proposed for the 1996 Olympics at the same site and was an existing venue (though without competition stands and major facilities). It could serve as the venue again for another bid (as well as the slalom site).

I can see a separate venue (but part of the MSAC complex) for a main aquatics venue, located near the venue at Albert Park. It may be temporary, if it doesn't need to be permanent.

Edited by Lord David

I agree, the YOGs should be well within Brissie's capabilities and sights. But don't write off the SOGs - who knows how the city will progress over the next few decades? Also, Brisbane is about our only city now with reliably decent weather within the IOC's July-September window for SOG hosting.

Only if the Boondall Wetlands are the focus main site. Think of a new arena to supplement the aging Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Some temporary arenas for the indoor team sports, the main media centre, Olympic Village, aquatics venue and the all important 90,000 seater main stadium (which could easily be over 110,000, just to put that big middle dealie towards the likes of Sydney). :P

r9ofg8.jpg

So here is my plan for the Albert Park precinct.

A new temporary 16,000 seat aquatic centre built over (but retaining the base stands where possible) Bob Jane Stadium. This venue will host the swimming, diving and water polo finals.

The CG06 pool will be used for the water polo prelims and parts of the modern pentathlon with synchronised swimming using the smaller 4,500 seater pool for the prelims and the CG pool for the finals if necesary.

The MSAC halls can host table tennis, volleyball (finals at Rod Laver or elsewhere) and badminton. Wrestling and/or fencing could also be accomodated with a temp extension. (This extension would enable the convention centre to be used solely as a boxing and basketball venue (two 8,000+ seater halls) with the Plenary being used to stage Weightlifting).

Trithlon and the open water swim will be staged in and around Albert Park lake.

The road cycling, long distance walks and marathon would also start on the Albert Park grand prix track.

Transport would be via dedicated bus lines or the light rail/tram tracks that may need further duplication.

Turning Albert Park into a mini Olympic Park would cause a stir with the locals I'm sure. They're fiercely protective of their parkland, and would put up a fight similar to when the F1 circuit went in during the 90s.

I'd support an aquatic centre going in at Docklands/Fishermans Bend. Huge growth area, that would benefit from a downsized aquatic centre post Olympics.

Given the degree of existing venues, I think the aquatic facility would have to be Melbourne's signature venue, similar to London.

The only addition would be using Bob Jane Stadium (BJS) as a temporary swimming centre - no actual change to the park as such - which would fall within the security cordon that would be established for the triathlon/smaller events held at MSAC. No permanent damage would be caused to the parkland as in reality nothing new is being built on it. The aquatic centre I propose should be able to fit within the current stadium footprint with only the temp supporting infrastructure (ticketing/athlete support areas) using any additional space. If anything it would allow BJS to have upgraded facilities (including possibly retaining the temporary roof from the aquatic centre) which in the long run has been high on the locals 'want' list for years.

I think having an 'aquatic cluster' is a better option than plonking a big un-necesary new venue in some iconic position. There isn't room at the Docklands/Fishermans Bend for a 12,00-15,000 seat aquatic centre. It makes sense to have all the aquatic events in the same area if possible.

As for access to the park - it wouldn't ned to be any worse than what is already experienced annually and with the 'aquatic cluster' being at the Northern end would leave the rest of the park available for regular use. It is a compact solution.

Turning Albert Park into a mini Olympic Park would cause a stir with the locals I'm sure. They're fiercely protective of their parkland, and would put up a fight similar to when the F1 circuit went in during the 90s.

I'd support an aquatic centre going in at Docklands/Fishermans Bend. Huge growth area, that would benefit from a downsized aquatic centre post Olympics.

Given the degree of existing venues, I think the aquatic facility would have to be Melbourne's signature venue, similar to London.

Mini Olympic Park? That was the same site proposed during the 1996 bid which would have had a major arena in the complex, seating 15,000 for volleyball/basketball. I'd support Aquatics being held in the same "cluster" just build a temporary or permanent pool at the car park, and use the stadium as part of Modern Pentathlon.