Future Brisbane bid?

Brisbane as seen as the next natural host of the Olympic Games in Australia given it is the third largest city but to be honest I can't see this happening. It does not have the international brand value of Sydney or the sporting infrastructure of Melbourne and I believe the next games will return to one of these cities mid century. However, I think Brisbane could run a very successful YOGs next decade with it already having alot of the venues in place and a large sport loving population.

Venues:

Athletics (QSAC) Would need a refurbishment.

anz.jpg

Swimming & Diving: Chandler (would need a refurb)

main_to_board.jpg

Track Cycling & BMX: Chandler Velodrome (to be completed for 2018 comm games)

173430508153ac04dba6a1e1.67014631_aaa05.

Tennis: Pat Rafter Arena and the Queensland Tennis Centre

Pat-Rafter-Arena-bw.jpg

Gymnastics: Brisbane Entertainment Centre (needs a refurb)

13768.jpg

Brisbane as seen as the next natural host of the Olympic Games in Australia given it is the third largest city but to be honest I can't see this happening. It does not have the international brand value of Sydney or the sporting infrastructure of Melbourne and I believe the next games will return to one of these cities mid century. However, I think Brisbane could run a very successful YOGs next decade with it already having alot of the venues in place and a large sport loving population.

I agree, the YOGs should be well within Brissie's capabilities and sights. But don't write off the SOGs - who knows how the city will progress over the next few decades? Also, Brisbane is about our only city now with reliably decent weather within the IOC's July-September window for SOG hosting.

For a SOG you could combine Brisbane/ Gold Coast (they have spread into each other now anyway, and are joined by suburban rail) and have lots of facilities and hotels in place. But I agree I think Sydney, or probably Melbourne, will host the next SOG. Melbourne is projected to be Australia's largest city by about 2040 and already has everything in place.

As for the YOG, there doesn't seem much interest in Australa. Maybe Oceania would be better letting NZ host.

Equestrian: Queensland State Equestrian Centre

427487_288222264618696_270499093_n.jpg

Football: Suncorp Stadium

Stadium-sea-of-orange-1.jpg

& CBus Super Stadium (Gold Coast)

skilled_park1.jpg

Beach Volleyball: Suncorp Piazza

DSC_0362.jpg

Basketball, Weightlifting & Fencing: Brisbane Convention Centre

BCEC_-_FLOOR_PLAN.jpg

Boxing: Gold Coast Convention Centre

gccc2.jpg

Rugby 7s: Ballymore (Needs a refurb)

Ballymore_aerial.jpg

Badminton: Chandler Arena (Needs refurb)

0.jpg

Table tennis: University of Queensland

a-Sport.JPG

Wrestling: University of Southern Queensland

7417899294_b88430baa9_z.jpg

Only venue I can't think of something is for rowing and canoeing. Obviously there is the Brisbane River but I think traffic would be far too high.

Maybe in Coomera on the northern end of the Gold Coast for rowing.

7648-10%20320k.jpg

So basically every venue exist now, with some needing a bit of a revamp. Football could all be played on the Gold Coast if need be, leaving Suncorp and the GABBA free to continue hosting AFL, NRL and Super 15

Yeah Brisbane has some venues - but bar Suncorp Stadium and Boondall (Ent Centre) havinfg OK public transport links - how do you propose moving thousands of spectators to and from multiple sessions of sport every day? Chandler is out in the frickin' boonies. Where will you build an Olympic Village that is near enough to make it a compact plan? Loganlea? Ferny Grove? Redcliffe? Where are the tourists going to stay? The Gold Coast? I don't think so - especially since that the rail line dupication is off the table again.

Where is the political will to bid - let alone invest billions? Considering the current Liberal party is hosting the next Commonwealth Games 60 kilometres safe with an iron fisted austerity budget and gritted teeth? Even a YOG would need a $300-$400 million+ budget to host.

I live in Brisbane and I'd rather have Melbourne stage them.

I would love a Brisbane Olympics but it's not going to happen.

I don't know if you've been to Chandler recently but it's a shithole. The venues are outdated and would need major reconstruction or to be honest just knock it down and start fresh.

You need massive space for the Olympic village, they proposed part of the Boondall wetlands back for the 1992 bid, I guess i could see that happening as there is tons of space but again that would cost major money. Suncorp currently can hold only around 55000 and there isn't a lot of space to increase sporting capacity. QEII is outdated. The only great venue they have is the tennis centre at Tennyson but even that would need more courts. And then think of the distance issues. From Boondall to Tennyson to Chandler. It's not exactly a compact bid plan!

And yeah, with this ridiculous and pathetic Liberal government who are saving money by destroying lives, I don't think they'll fork out the money for this.

And I would have no problems with that. However any NSW Government running on an Olympic ticket would be turfed out due to the overwhelming rise of the Sydney NIMBYs...

Sydney already has the venues, just a few alterations here and there, a new athletes village, a few more infrastructure improvements and you have a great Sydney bid with little bearing put on the public.

Sydney already has the venues, just a few alterations here and there, a new athletes village, a few more infrastructure improvements and you have a great Sydney bid with little bearing put on the public.

Ah, just like Munich 2022 then...

Ah, just like Munich 2022 then...

Well given that Munich's venues are 40 years old I can see how people can be worried. At the earliest Sydney/Melbourne would bid for the 2032 games which at that point Sydney's venues would be what? Twenty years old?

Well given that Munich's venues are 40 years old I can see how people can be worried. At the earliest Sydney/Melbourne would bid for the 2032 games which at that point Sydney's venues would be what? Twenty years old?

Most venues in the 2022 bid plan are in use every winter for various world cups etc. and are constantly kept in shape. Some of the 1972 venues would have required renovation work, but as it turns out, that renovation is needed anyway to preserve the Olympic Park as a landmark. 2022 could have filled this landmark with new life again. But alas...that's for a different thread anyway.

Archived