GamesBids Inaugural Bid Video Competition

HEA2EE.jpg

Well, I said I'd give this idea a try out after the Commies shut up shop. So while we're waiting to see what happens with Tony's logo comp (T - let me know when you wanna go with the poll - I've got it ready to go when I get the word), I thought I'd throw this out there to see if we have any takers and it's viable.

Over the years, in the various bid book and logo comps we've had, we've had a few bid videos produced by members here as part of their submissions. And one of my hobbies too is doing a bit of video work - I've done a few wedding and holiday videos, and a few fun send ups, over time.

Now, I know not everyone is experienced, or has the tech or software tools, to do video. But then again, not everyone here is great at graphic design, yet we still have lots of takers when it comes to the logo comps.

The challenge here is to produce a short (1-3 minutes) video highlighting a city bidding for the Olympics, summer or winter, for 2024 or 2026. You can use clips from places like YouTube (I often use MacX Video Downloader to capture stuff of YouTube), or shoot your own if you've got a camera and are bidding with your home town. Edit it to a nice sequence, and put in a good soundtrack or song (I suspect the music may well be a big part of deciding votes), and maybe add some graphics and logos if that's your want.

I use Final Cut when I edit on the Mac (my preference). There's also lots of free video editing shareware out there if you don't have any handy. I'll try to come up with some good links to free editing software for Windows and OSX, but if anyone has any program they recommend, let us know about it. Here's a link with some ideas to start: Free video editing software

Once done, upload it to YouTube, and then post the video here for everyone to see, or send me a link so I can unveil it at the grand screening (if we get that far).

At this stage, I'm more interested to see if we have enough takers to make this work. Please express your interest in this thread - or just go ahead and post your video.

To help make this a bit easier, for this comp, the field is totally open - feel free to produce a video for whichever city you fancy. And no need to "claim" a city - feel free to do your preferred city bid video even if someone has already done one for that city. And if anyone wants to enter a video they've already produced in the past for GamesBids (like Woohooitsme's LA concrete canyon vid for Tony's comp), feel free to enter it here as well. And enter as many submissions as you want!

I'll give it a while to see if we are likely to get many entries before I set a deadline. But you will have at least a month from now. After that we can have a special screening thread. And Yoshi and I have been discussing for the past few months a new format for voting - if we get enough, we may try it out on the videos. If not, we'll just do a traditional poll vote. And I may well enter this one myself, so I'll sort out the voting logistics when we know what we're dealing with.

I hope this is a goer. I think it could be fun. Something a bit different from bid books or logos (at least until the December logo comp ;) ).

49105main_popcorn.jpg

Paris 2024! (so would the video style have be similar to IOC Presentations?)

I suppose use that as a guide, but you don't have to stick to any particular format or sequence. I expect we'll get a lot of nice cityscape footage with appropriate music behind it. I'm not too keen on voiceovers, unless you're Morgan Freeman or Patrick Stewart, but knock yourself out if you wish.

BTW - are you going to enter your LA vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTyBvdmQxdk

I'm considering Havana.

Good, looks like we have a quorum then. It'd be nice to get more entrants, but we can proceed with what we've got if everyone delivers. And hope more join on the way.

Okay, how does a deadline of September 6 (a Saturday) for entries sound?

Good, looks like we have a quorum then. It'd be nice to get more entrants, but we can proceed with what we've got if everyone delivers. And hope more join on the way.

Okay, how does a deadline of September 6 (a Saturday) for entries sound?

How about September 15th?

Archived