Sign in to follow this  

Pretty much a perfect games in terms of hospitality,crowds,venues and good organisation.

The only thing that I can fault were the 2 ceremonies. The opening was below average,but the closing was dire. Full marks for the gay kiss though.

The youtube broadcasting was amazing ! Hope IOC will do as best as them for the YOG...

I got back from Scotland on Thursday evening and my only regret about Glasgow 2014 is that I wasn't there for the whole of it. Our friends north of the border have put on a fabulous games and should be rightly proud of what they have achieved.

Those of us who followed the, at times rather acrimonious, bid battle for these games will doubtless remember the technical strengths of Glasgow's proposals, which have been well borne out by the venues presented to the Commonwealth's athletes. There have been issues, particularly around travel. Having chosen to stay in Edinburgh after being quoted £1,000 a night for a fairly ordinary B&B in Glasgow during the games, I found myself in more than one very long queue for a train or a bus back to Edinburgh late at night. But, when problems have occurred, they have largely been sorted quickly, efficiently and courteously and the organisers deserve a lot of credit for how smoothly things have gone.

But it truly is the warmth of the Glaswegian welcome that will stay with me the longest. That's not just the volunteers, as wonderful as they were, but the ordinary people of the city. My abiding memory of the trip will be of walking back to Queen Street station with my brother and being warmly greeted by a Celtic fan outside a bar for no greater reason than the fact my brother was wearing his Grimsby Town shirt and the chap recognised it. A magic moment that I know we'll remember in years to come.

I walked out of Queen Street station for the first time 11 days ago into George Square and a wall of heat that the locals simply couldn't believe and into a wonderful sporting celebration which, while it could never top the experience we had in London two years ago for me, got pretty damn close all the same. And as I left Glasgow for the last time, I took one last look and thought simply "Thank you Glasgow and very, very well done."

• Like 1

These were the best games I've seen in a while. The venues were usually full and the crowds were great with all of the athletes. They roared for the English athletes when they won medals and were enthusiastic when other nations did well. The venues were well done but not over the top. Glasgow 2014 was well done and a huge improvement over the corruption, stench-ridden cesspool that was Delhi 2010. It was a fantastic games.

Been reflecting on these Games, and my experiences at Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006. Glasgow was brilliant!

I think Sir Rols sums it up 'appropriate scale'. Commonwealth Games are best in (and don't mean this to sound rude) smaller or second cities, where the whole city gets swept up in the excitement, sport and organisation of these Games. Where that city OWNS the Games as a vital and integral part of their being and history. Think Glasgow, Edmonton, Victoria, Brisbane....and the GCoast.

On the other hand, when I was in Melbourne (and imagine Delhi was like this) you hardly knew the Games were on. These cities had bigger things on their mind (Melbourne had hosted an Olympics/ multi world championships/ F1, Grand Slam tennis) the Comm Games were just the latest party in a 4-million city. There was zero atmosphere despite huge expenditure and PR effort. The Olympics would be better.

So I hope London/ Sydney/ Toronto/ Mumbai etc don't get the Commonwealth Games- better it is held in Edmonton, Durban, Singapore, Adelaide, Birmingham, Cardiff, Auckland, Penang....

• Like 1

Been reflecting on these Games, and my experiences at Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 2006. Glasgow was brilliant!

I think Sir Rols sums it up 'appropriate scale'. Commonwealth Games are best in (and don't mean this to sound rude) smaller or second cities, where the whole city gets swept up in the excitement, sport and organisation of these Games. Where that city OWNS the Games as a vital and integral part of their being and history. Think Glasgow, Edmonton, Victoria, Brisbane....and the GCoast.

On the other hand, when I was in Melbourne (and imagine Delhi was like this) you hardly knew the Games were on. These cities had bigger things on their mind (Melbourne had hosted an Olympics/ multi world championships/ F1, Grand Slam tennis) the Comm Games were just the latest party in a 4-million city. There was zero atmosphere despite huge expenditure and PR effort. The Olympics would be better.

So I hope London/ Sydney/ Toronto/ Mumbai etc don't get the Commonwealth Games- better it is held in Edmonton, Durban, Singapore, Adelaide, Birmingham, Cardiff, Auckland, Penang....

Don't forget Manchester! ;)

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

Pretty much a perfect games in terms of hospitality,crowds,venues and good organisation.

The only thing that I can fault were the 2 ceremonies. The opening was below average,but the closing was dire. Full marks for the gay kiss though.

Judging by the amount of stick both London and Glasgow's ceremonies have been getting, maybe we're just not that good at staging them for sporting events perhaps because we don't take them seriously enough in contrast to other sporting hosts? We just tend to be more focussed on the sports!

Just a thought.

Judging by the amount of stick both London and Glasgow's ceremonies have been getting, maybe we're just not that good at staging them for sporting events perhaps because we don't take them seriously enough in contrast to other sporting hosts? We just tend to be more focussed on the sports!

Just a thought.

That is a great point....and you let the sports do the talking, rather than a 100 million dollar extravaganza.

However, I think the UK has got into a habit of trying too hard to show it is egalitarian, 'about its people', 'using amateurs', relaxed and funny etc.... we get it. Opening ceremonies in particular need a bit of structure, polish, dare I say 'class' and formality to set the scene for great competition. The music mash up at London 2012, the 'garbage' drum band opening Manchester 2002 and Scotland musical medlay opening Glasgow were a bit too informal for purpose and 'disrespected' the professional athletes and grand competition to come.

Granted, it is a fine balancing act.

Sports were brilliant. Naturally with a couple of hiccups as with all large events, all ran smoothly. The people seemed to enjoy it and that's what mattered in the end.

NZs broadcasting feeds and commentaries were the worst I've ever watched! Sudden cutaways to Mixed Zone where exhausted athletes were suddenly pounced on by smartarse roving SkySport NZ presenters didn't appeal, and have been mentioned in mainstream media already. A shame really as Sky provided five channels to watch but kept getting the flow of events wrong.

A couple of brickbats have to be both Opening and Closing Ceremonies. They both were lacking "something". Probably the imploding blocks of flats.

The weather...It was always going to be a risk and a letdown, and it delivered :( ...Scotland has hosted it's last CWGs for another 40 years so wont have a problem with weather again but the next UK hosging needs to take this into consideration...Look where they are going next.

Because there is only twelve years between them, it's easy to judge 02 and 14...Glasgow will be considered a good but soon forgotten games. You can see it comming, Gold Coast will deliver the new economy format...but will do it with so much more pizzaz...It's the Rio of the Commies.

Yeah they were a good games (just not the greatest ever).

• Like 1

Didn't watch either ceremonies, so can't comment on that. The games proper where as much as you can ask for from a CWG: the crowds where great, the venues where appropriate to the scale of the games and there where great sporting moments. Glasgow gets full marks from me. They held the CWGs at the scale they should be held and they did a brilliant job. Much needed after Delhi.

Edited by Fox334

Sports were brilliant. Naturally with a couple of hiccups as with all large events, all ran smoothly. The people seemed to enjoy it and that's what mattered in the end.

NZs broadcasting feeds and commentaries were the worst I've ever watched! Sudden cutaways to Mixed Zone where exhausted athletes were suddenly pounced on by smartarse roving SkySport NZ presenters didn't appeal, and have been mentioned in mainstream media already. A shame really as Sky provided five channels to watch but kept getting the flow of events wrong.

A couple of brickbats have to be both Opening and Closing Ceremonies. They both were lacking "something". Probably the imploding blocks of flats.

The weather...It was always going to be a risk and a letdown, and it delivered :( ...Scotland has hosted it's last CWGs for another 40 years so wont have a problem with weather again but the next UK hosging needs to take this into consideration...Look where they are going next.

Because there is only twelve years between them, it's easy to judge 02 and 14...Glasgow will be considered a good but soon forgotten games. You can see it comming, Gold Coast will deliver the new economy format...but will do it with so much more pizzaz...It's the Rio of the Commies.

Yeah they were a good games (just not the greatest ever).

Oh come on! The weather only turned bad in the last couple of days. It made for some tricky conditions at the end but didn't impede any of the events or spoil the overall enjoyment for the athletes and spectators. The games lasted for 11 days, not 2!

And why will it take 40 years before Scotland will host again? It hosted in 1970, 1986 and now 2014, gaps of 16 and 28 years! It must be doing something right to have hosted 3 times in that relatively short span of time so I don't see why the UK (or anybody else) would ever hesitate to consider Scotland as a future host again. It has just done the whole enterprise proud!

I'm sure Gold Coast will put put on its own version of equally memorable games in 4 years time but that will take nothing away from the great experience everyone has just had in Glasgow.

Soon to be forgotten? I doubt it!

Edited by Mainad

Scotland got it right this time, but hosted one the worst ever last time in Edinburgh (huge budget dramas, boycott, Margaret Thatcher...).

Kind of not really their fault, also nobody wanted them and Edinburgh was the fall back host.

You can almost reverse the verdict from Delhi four years ago. Preparations were smooth - I barely read any reports about the preparations in Glasgow. It was simply a case of "no news is good news". Operationally nearly everything was sound, apart from a few transport problems in and around Hampden that did get reported on. The sport was as good as it could be really, although having a few big names pull out wasn't ideal. The Sevens tournament was a particular highlight at Ibrox, and the mixed sprint triathlon was great and should be looked at for inclusion in the Olympics. Crowds were brilliant as expected, the weather looked unexpectedly sweltering apart from the last couple of days, venues looked great, the BBC did a great job of showing off Glasgow and the Games, putting the full-weight of their events team behind it. The only sour note were the ceremonies which were trite, cheap and mostly not very entertaining.

Glasgow 2014 will - for the most part - be a very solid blueprint for future hosts. Same again in four years with better ceremonies and I'll be happy, especially if the medal table looks the same.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

On the final day Glasgow looked stunning and beautiful during the road race, despite the rain , just a shame we had to wait till the last day to see what Glasgow is really like,
(not all cranes and tower blocks like the bbc branding)

The BBC show tonight at the games was however Spot on!!!!!!
As close to perfect as you can get.

Over all the Games were fantastic,

But the closing cerimany was a bit week

Oh come on! The weather only turned bad in the last couple of days. It made for some tricky conditions at the end but didn't impede any of the events or spoil the overall enjoyment for the athletes and spectators. The games lasted for 11 days, not 2!

Did you watch the women's pole vault competition? The weather certainly had an impact on that travesty.

Did you watch the women's pole vault competition? The weather certainly had an impact on that travesty.

My favourite post on a British forum was - 'weather conditions are atrocious and the pole vaulters are not happy - like how the girl from Wales doesn't give a sh*t and is just getting on with it whilst the others moaning - must rain a lot where she is from' :D

Admittedly that one maybe should have been suspended until the rain had eased.

The fact that we're talking about the weather as the major sticking point says it all, really. Most everything that was within the organizer's control went very well.

Everything was fantastic and in my opinion what the commies needed to jump start excitment and inject some vibrancy into the event. Glasgow showcased that you can host a successful games without really breaking the bank.

The only thing that was bad were the ceremonies. They felt like a really bad musical.

Of course there wasn't much coverage in Germany (and if, mostly linked to the upcoming independence referendum), and I myself wasn't really interested either.

But I'm glad to hear that for once, a major multi-sports event went ahead without heated debates about state of preparations, exploding costs or dubious politicians to take advantage (now wait until someone brings up Salmond). That's actually quite refreshing after all.