:huh: Where were the artistic segments using local people, or the numerous Scottish acts that there are on the music scene? As sick as I was of the Proclaimers by the end - they would have gone down a storm with the crowd. :(

Wooo, the Reid brothers are one of the biggest supporters of Scottish Independence Party. They would've used the ceremony as a platform...and not they are only ones hence the absence of so many stars. Glasgow wanted no trouble, even Billy Connolly was relegated to a video link in the Opening, and he considers himself neutral.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm struggling with what everyone's problem is. It's only since KL that the ceremonies have started aping the Olympic ceremony style scale wise. From day one Glasgow has been about bringing the Game

What's wrong with you people on here these days. I have laughed my way through the last half hour and yet nobody on here has commented how naff and crap this closing ceremony is. The Gold Coast handov

Sorry, I'M OUTTA HERE. Great Games Glasgow, but had enough of this.

Absolutely awful ceremonies - both the opening and the closing. It was dire from start to finish, though the Gold Coast presentation was quite cool - but far too much of a holiday ad.

I also think it's a real shame they didn't include something to mark the 100th anniversary of World War I. Both ceremonies were really missing emotional moments and for me one of the most memorable and effective things about London was the brief pause to remember those who died during the wars, and considering the timing (and the fact Glasgow were double booking their Commonwealth guests for a memorial service today) I think not having a segment reflecting on it was a real missed opportunity.

I think the First World War commemoration would have been a problem in either ceremony, for sort-of opposite reasons. In the OC, the "serious" focus was the UNICEF appeal, and a commemoration would have distracted from that. In the CC, there was no attempt at anything more serious than Auld Lang Syne, and a commemoration would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It's a good thing the games didn't end one day later.

i cannot comment on the closing ceremony as i personally think closing ceremony are a bit naff. even in london, only some of the bits are actually watch able.

over all though, i think i was a bit of a lost opportunity for Scotland. politics aside, it should have presented more of how scotland can be different for the rest of the uk. (i should put a disclaimer that i'm only interested in the OC and CC as my only participation in sports events is 'oh what a lovely ceremony, see you in two weeks bitches')

For what its worth I liked the way the closing ceremony ended,

it had more fervour than your average games,

but putting ones finger on what made the begging seem so dull,

is more difficult ,

I think the section in-between Lulus shout (which you can’t fault) and the speeches, is to blame for this.

Deacon blue and that nondescript bunch of none entertes that thanked the volunteers with a banal song. A couple of Britain’s gymnast back flipping down the stage would have been for entertaining.

For what its worth I liked the way the closing ceremony ended,

it had more fervour than your average games,

but putting ones finger on what made the beginning seem so dull,

is more difficult ,

I think the section in-between Lulu's shout (which you can’t fault) and the speeches, is to blame for this.

Deacon blue and that nondescript bunch of none entertes that thanked the volunteers with a banal song. A couple of Britain’s gymnast back flipping down the stage would have been for entertaining.

I think the First World War commemoration would have been a problem in either ceremony, for sort-of opposite reasons. In the OC, the "serious" focus was the UNICEF appeal, and a commemoration would have distracted from that. In the CC, there was no attempt at anything more serious than Auld Lang Syne, and a commemoration would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It's a good thing the games didn't end one day later.

Sticking out like a sore thumb though is the kind of thing the ceremony needed - it is what would have made it a stand out moment. There are many ways it could be done too - we saw in London it was done as a brief pause during the main artistic segment. and then later the 7/7 memorial as a separate song. Some kind of contemporary dance would have done the trick - the English National Ballet were given a slot at Glastonbury to perform a special piece marking the 100th anniversary and that too stuck out like a sore thumb - but it was one of the most memorable moment of the weekend and a huge success amongst an audience that would usually go nowhere near the ballet. Don't think there was a dry eye in the field either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVjh81SY-E

I just think considering the timing and considering how a signicant part of the Commonwealth was affected it was a missed opportunity to do something a little bit more than a below par pop-concert. Heck, even the concert the BBC put on at Edinburgh Castle before the games was of a higher callibre, and that was crap! It would also have flowed much better into the ceremony than the Unicef ads did in the opening.

Sticking out like a sore thumb though is the kind of thing the ceremony needed - it is what would have made it a stand out moment. There are many ways it could be done too - we saw in London it was done as a brief pause during the main artistic segment. and then later the 7/7 memorial as a separate song. Some kind of contemporary dance would have done the trick - the English National Ballet were given a slot at Glastonbury to perform a special piece marking the 100th anniversary and that too stuck out like a sore thumb - but it was one of the most memorable moment of the weekend and a huge success amongst an audience that would usually go nowhere near the ballet.

In the London OC, everything or nothing stuck out like a sore thumb- it deliberately kept the mood flowing. Glastonbury is vast enough to achieve something of the same- these days people expect to encounter surprises of all sorts there.

When these things aren’t as good as they should be, I always assume its political interference of the millennium dome ilk,

probably combined with a bit of arrogance on the part of Glasgow thinking its so cool it doesn’t have to try.

Slogans like the people make a city don’t help either, as any city can say this,
And the slogan is usually derived from the need to make cuts,

There is a limit to how much the people can do, the organisers have to do there work.

When these things aren’t as good as they should be, I always assume its political interference of the millennium dome ilk,

probably combined with a bit of arrogance on the part of Glasgow thinking its so cool it doesn’t have to try.

Slogans like the people make a city don’t help either, as any city can say this,

And the slogan is usually derived from the need to make cuts,

There is a limit to how much the people can do, the organisers have to do there work.

I was worried from the moment I saw this on the Games website, back in June:

"> You’re in safe hands, the team producing The Opening & Closing Ceremonies of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games are super experienced, combing talents from across Scotland with global expertise. Glasgow 2014 are working with Jack Morton Worldwide, an international events company, who also produced the Ceremonies for Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006 as well as the Athens Olympics and the 2010 World Cup."

[incidentally- their spelling, not mine]