• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm struggling with what everyone's problem is. It's only since KL that the ceremonies have started aping the Olympic ceremony style scale wise. From day one Glasgow has been about bringing the Game

What's wrong with you people on here these days. I have laughed my way through the last half hour and yet nobody on here has commented how naff and crap this closing ceremony is. The Gold Coast handov

Sorry, I'M OUTTA HERE. Great Games Glasgow, but had enough of this.

This Kylie portion is unending. She looks like a X between Michelle Pfeiffer and Uma Thurman. But why are her back-ups in black? Once is OK but going into 3 numbers already. Am advancing it and the friggin' woman is still gyrating... Where is that stage-crasher???

Ah. There she is. Just got hustled off the stage. Good thing she didn't streak.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

AULD LANG SYNE always gets me. I flash back to when I accompanied mi mom & mi aunt to an Alaska cruise; and we did the little A-L-S bit on the last night of the voyage. So, yeah, it always gets me in the ticker!! But it looks like everyone had a good time; and I guess that's all that matters.

I turned off last night. The first bit was dull, then speech after speech. The Gold Coast Segment made me want to buy time share there. Then Kylie seemed to have bought her old show or new show she is rehearsing to the arena, no connection to the games at all.

Really disappointed, after such an amazing games.

Did Jack Morton do the closing ceremony? They should have got Chvrches, they would have wiped the floor with that rubbish electro pop band that they had.

2 out of 10

Gees, wasn't that abit of a mess.

I really just don't know what the thinking was behind it. Well, I know the theme was all back to ours, or something like that, but it really didn't seem to have any real concept.

I am still struggling to see where the budget for these ceremonies actually went, pup tents can't be that expensive.

I did like the stage and light construction though, and did enjoy the Kylie part as well as the final moments.

The Gold Coast handover was interesting. I guess maybe I would take it for granted how familiar the city is to Kiwis, with God knows how many of us living there, maybe it's not that well known in the COmmonwealth. Perhaps it was the right tact to take, and Jessica certainly put in a good performance.

It was vibrant and was a highlight.

Overall, the closing just didn't seem to have much structure at all.

Gees, wasn't that abit of a mess.

I really just don't know what the thinking was behind it. Well, I know the theme was all back to ours, or something like that, but it really didn't seem to have any real concept.

I am still struggling to see where the budget for these ceremonies actually went, pup tents can't be that expensive.

I did like the stage and light construction though, and did enjoy the Kylie part as well as the final moments.

The Gold Coast handover was interesting. I guess maybe I would take it for granted how familiar the city is to Kiwis, with God knows how many of us living there, maybe it's not that well known in the COmmonwealth. Perhaps it was the right tact to take, and Jessica certainly put in a good performance.

It was vibrant and was a highlight.

Overall, the closing just didn't seem to have much structure at all.

Definitely not formal and looks to have been weather dependant, felt rushed in some places, and the GC handover felt like they were bidding for the games all over again - still looking foward to them though. Someone mentioned very few Scottish acts, maybee the potential for ceremonies to be hijacked by Independence promoters within the entertainment industry was taken into factor. Pretty much their entire industry leans towards independence politically?

The OC and the CC are bookends to any CWGs. The games themselves were good, let down towards the end by the weather, but very much buried the ghosts of 1986. Wont see Scotland hosting them again in my lifetime...That's their legacy in relighting this event, now others finally are taking a serious interest in hosting them.

I turned off last night. The first bit was dull, then speech after speech. The Gold Coast Segment made me want to buy time share there. Then Kylie seemed to have bought her old show or new show she is rehearsing to the arena, no connection to the games at all.

Really disappointed, after such an amazing games.

Did Jack Morton do the closing ceremony? They should have got Chvrches, they would have wiped the floor with that rubbish electro pop band that they had.

2 out of 10

Yes, 'Jack Morton Public Events' did the Glasgow Ceremonies with David Zolkwer as Artistic Director.

The we’re so cool we don’t have to do any thing has its limitations.

The beginning with people dancing with tents didn’t work ,
Am I also allowed to say I found Hamden park a bit dowdy.

However towards the end it developed real fervour with the lone piper on the roof then

Auld Lang Syne, bringing the games to an end the ways only Scotland can do

They should have got Chvrches, they would have wiped the floor with that rubbish electro pop band that they had.

It looked as if they arranged to avoid duplication- OC got Rod, CC got Lulu; OC got Chvrches (instrumentally at least), CC got, er, an "up and coming" local band.

Elizabeth Fraser, alas, seems to have re-retired.

It looked as if they arranged to avoid duplication- OC got Rod, CC got Lulu; OC got Chvrches (instrumentally at least), CC got, er, an "up and coming" local band.

Elizabeth Fraser, alas, seems to have re-retired.

he he, I heard the snippet in the Opening, it could have been a great platform for them. The album is really good

I enjoyed the games - atmosphere was great, organisation too, along with sporting efforts etc. However, I did not particularly enjoy the Opening ceremony and I spent the closing ceremony on a British forum which was not particularly kind either so... I get that the budget was smaller but sorry Gold Coast your handover was pretty bad and more of a travel ad (very similar to current Visit Australia ads on UK TV) Jessica was so miming and it was just a concert - nothing artistic at all. At least Manchester went for it somewhat? It was basically just a Kylie concert with a few other acts added onto the beginning and end :huh: Where were the artistic segments using local people, or the numerous Scottish acts that there are on the music scene? As sick as I was of the Proclaimers by the end - they would have gone down a storm with the crowd. :(

• Like 1

Yeah - I do wonder what GC will do at its opening as it seems to have had one already. For a ceremony in Glasgow there wasn't much Scottish in it - I get they might not want to influence the you-know-what but where were the Proclaimers, where were Chvrches*, where was, say, Paolo Nutini? Admittedly they sold GC well, it seemed like Jessica learned her Eurovision lesson to not sing live, & you just can't go wrong with Kylie, a pro at this kind of do. But the CC is meant to be a party & it looks like the athletes had just that, so it worked.

*you're right Davey, they would've knocked Prides sideways. Missed opportunity :(

Yeah - I do wonder what GC will do at its opening as it seems to have had one already. For a ceremony in Glasgow there wasn't much Scottish in it - I get they might not want to influence the you-know-what but where were the Proclaimers, where were Chvrches*, where was, say, Paolo Nutini? Admittedly they sold GC well, it seemed like Jessica learned her Eurovision lesson to not sing live, & you just can't go wrong with Kylie, a pro at this kind of do. But the CC is meant to be a party & it looks like the athletes had just that, so it worked.

*you're right Davey, they would've knocked Prides sideways. Missed opportunity :(

cute avatar yoshi :)

Absolutely awful ceremonies - both the opening and the closing. It was dire from start to finish, though the Gold Coast presentation was quite cool - but far too much of a holiday ad.

I also think it's a real shame they didn't include something to mark the 100th anniversary of World War I. Both ceremonies were really missing emotional moments and for me one of the most memorable and effective things about London was the brief pause to remember those who died during the wars, and considering the timing (and the fact Glasgow were double booking their Commonwealth guests for a memorial service today) I think not having a segment reflecting on it was a real missed opportunity.

You got me there. :-) It was hilariously cheesy in parts.

Plot Twist: They intended it to be cheesy just to keep the 'fun' vibe going

Well...Malaysia has let out some yowls about using "dogs" in the OC. I wondered about that and when it was going to pop. Obviously, for all the talk of diversity and plurality, they didn't have any muslims on the Ceremonies committee to nix the gay kiss and those Scotties. I mean even evil Putin and the Russian hordes put a longer dress on Iran's placard-bearer in Sochi. Dogs are cute...but they really have no place in bearing a nation's name six inches from the ground. Since I have no access to this CC coverage, did they bring the little runts out again??

I don't think the opening ceremony was about diversity. It was more about.. Scotland. Scotland and Scotties make sense. The gay kiss make sense (I believe the BBC commentator said that people used to go across the border to get married). Listing the inventions make sense. Bagpipes made sense. Kilts made sense. Muslims? not so much.