Usain Bolt says the Comm games "are a bit sh!t"

Bolt, the world’s fastest man was waiting for his car in the athletes’ village overnight when he unleashed a thunderbolt, saying the Games are “a bit s**t” and “the Olympics were better”. (Well, cheers captain obvious)

News.com.au is um a news site in Australia (if you can call it that, it's pretty crap) but it did some comparisons to see what would happen if the athletes had the same time but instead had those gold/silver/bronze winning times during the 2012 Olympics and not these games. (Sounds confusing but i'm sure it'll make sense soon).

One example is of James Magnussen who won gold in the 100m freestyle. If he had raced that exact time but 2 years ago, he wouldn't have received a silver or bronze medal in London. Instead he would have come 8th.

Another example is of the mens 100m sprint which was won by Kemar Bailey-Cole with a time of 10 seconds. If he had run that during the Olympics, he also would have come 8th. (Good visual for you)

992202-65383ca6-16b0-11e4-85ab-b94874755

The womens marathon is another compared. Flomena Daniel won with a time of 2:26:45. She would have come 15th in London...

However, not all stories are like this... just most of them.

The Womens 4x100m freestyle relay was won by Australia in Glasgow with a time of 3:30.96. Which was a world record.

There's more here http://www.news.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/usain-bolt-says-the-commonwealth-games-are-a-bit-st-is-he-right/story-fnnx3zsr-1227006996509

So, thoughts? Haha. What strikes me is that quite a lot of those that won gold in London and are commonwealth countries didn't bother to try for Glasgow. Do they think they're too good? Clearly Bolt thinks so. I know he's running the relay but didn't try for the 100m?

I really don't get it.

Of course this is a second tier event, they're hardly ripping up the track or sending shockwaves through the pool at the Asian or Pan-Am Games either.

The Olympics are always the ultimate, they always will be.

While it's an interesting bunch of comparisons they have done there (granted in very few sports) and worth a read, the whole *are the Commonwealth Games past it/second tier event* is just lazy journalism that they pull out every 4 years.

Hmmm curious,

Usan Bolt appeared all all those Virgin media commercials in the Uk with Richard Branson,

Who are one of the partners of the games

Logic would procure that he wouldnt have said this.

Why? Because people only do commercials for stuff they really like?

Hmmm curious,

Usan Bolt appeared all all those Virgin media commercials in the Uk with Richard Branson,

Who are one of the partners of the games

Logic would procure that he wouldn’t have said this.

Yes, me too think so. I listened to his first presser, he appeared to be politically correct to me.

Journalists are scum, aren't they! Can't believe how many are running with a story questioning Bolt's sanity for saying the Commonwealth Games aren't as good as the Olympics! They never have been, never will be - and the bar set by London means even the next Olympics will struggle to match up, and similarly with the World Cup after a fantastic tournament in Brazil.

There have been pros and cons of course for Glasgow - it's certainly helped them shift the tickets and secure front and centre coverage from the BBC, However as someone who has watched and enjoyed them for 20 years I've really struggled to get into these games - there definately is a London hangover. Some sports are stronger than ever - I've really enjoyed the swimming and surprisingly for me, the gymnastics, where the Brits really have done well - but I've really struggled with athletics and cycling, two of the highlights of 2012. Loved the Sevens but bowls seems to be the Commie's version of Curling - always bloody on, rarely that interesting.

If you have a look at bowls, they allow the smaller nations in the CWGs to be in with a chance. Yeah they look strange and out of place, but they are a Commonwealth sport along with Netball. Rols brings up the idea of Curling being in the CWGs...Looking at it now, why not? And then there's Darts?

Usain says they are only 'a bit ****' ? So maybe there's some hope for them after all? ;)

Maybe he's just acknowledging, albeit somewhat rudely and discourteously, what we all know to be a basic fact ie. that the CWGs can never be on a par with the Olympics because of the obvious restrictions on who are eligible to compete at them. That's always been the case and always will be!

I guess if ALL countries in the world were members of the Commonwealth, there would never be any need for them because the Olympics will have already beaten them to it as the only truly international competitive sporting festival! :)

Usain says they are only 'a bit ****' ? So maybe there's some hope for them after all? ;)

Maybe he's just acknowledging, albeit somewhat rudely and discourteously, what we all know to be a basic fact ie. that the CWGs can never be on a par with the Olympics because of the obvious restrictions on who are eligible to compete at them. That's always been the case and always will be!

I guess if ALL countries in the world were members of the Commonwealth, there would never be any need for them because the Olympics will have already beaten them to it as the only truly international competitive sporting festival! :)

Well putting it that way...

The CWGs are jammed between the regional events and the Olympics. Probably one place less than IAAF World Champs, and Euros. It is in an awkward spot in position of stature, simply because it's a hark back to the colonial/post colonial era and in globalization times, different, yet nations still come.

This is a quote from Dori Yates (gold in women's 67kg wrestling)

"This is my first major Games. It's awesome to win, for sure and it's a good preparation for the Olympic Games, obviously. It's not like I'll be walking into a Village for the first time at the Olympics, it's the perfect warm-up."

I think that sums up the Commonwealth Games (and the major regional Games). Glasgow is doing an excellent job of managing scale.

Denise lewis summed it up well yesterday by saying that her first major competition in Victoria 1994 set her up and helped her go on to world and olympic success. Like the pan ams and asians they are what they are if u dont like them then dont watch.

Denise lewis summed it up well yesterday by saying that her first major competition in Victoria 1994 set her up and helped her go on to world and olympic success. Like the pan ams and asians they are what they are if u dont like them then dont watch.

...or participate.

Archived