The 18th Asian Games Jakarta 2018

zigzag

Indonesia avoids IOC ban over five rings logo dispute

Jakarta, Indonesia: The Indonesian sports agency whose violation of an Olympic trademark almost cost the country its hosting of the 2018 Asian Games has decided to back down from its stance, reports the Jakarta Globe.
The Indonesian National Sports Committee, or KONI, decided earlier this week to end its use of the International Olympic Committee’s five rings in its logo, said KONI chairman Tono Suratman.
“Our members have recommended [dropping the rings] and we’ve picked a few candidates to help design the new logo,” Tono said.
“It could be three rings or six rings, as long as it’s not the IOC logo. The colours can be different but the shape stays the same, or the other way around,” he said.
“The most important thing is we’re still committed helping boost the country’s sports development.”
The move comes after a court in Jakarta last month ordered the KONI to cease its illegal use of the Olympic logo.
Only the Indonesian Olympic Committee, or KOI, as Indonesia’s IOC-affiliated National Olympic Committee, is allowed to use the rings or any other Olympic symbols in its logo — but KONI has insisted on using the logo since 2013.
In a letter to President Joko Widodo dated Jan. 27, the IOC even warned that KONI’s continued illegal use of the Olympic rings logo could cost Indonesia its role in any IOC-sanctioned event, including the 2018 Asian Games, set to be hosted in Jakarta.
The Sports Ministry, which threatened to freeze funding for the KONI after its repeated refusals to stop using the logo, welcomed the about-face, which was announced at the committee’s annual congress in Jakarta.
“We appreciate and thank the KONI for finally deciding to change its logo after this long debate,” said ministry spokesman Gatot S. Dewa Broto.
He added that Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi had sent a letter to IOC President Thomas Bach informing him of the latest development in hopes of heading off any sanctions related to the copyright infringement.

Finally this whole silly drama about the rings is over. Hopefully we'll have more news about the actual games now.

That reminds me...did they ever end up releasing the logo? I know it was delayed because of what happened earlier this year but there's no excuse anymore.

Finally this whole silly drama about the rings is over. Hopefully we'll have more news about the actual games now.

That reminds me...did they ever end up releasing the logo? I know it was delayed because of what happened earlier this year but there's no excuse anymore.

Actually the drama still continues in Indonesia as the Government is still not releasing the President's Permit which will outline the bases for the games although some news says it will launched last week but it turned wrong while in other side says it will be this month but i can't found any updates yet since the Government is still busy with other stuff including our football chaos happened recently.....

why need olympic ring in asian games logo?

The problem is actually because our sport federation has misunderstood about the usage of the Olympic Rings and use it for themselves not because of putting the Olympic Rings in the asiad logo besides the asiad logo will use the sun from the OCA logo and not the Olympic Rings.....

Indonesians worried over Asian Games 2018 decree.

Chairman of the Indonesian Olympic Committee (KOI) Rita Subowo is worried over Presidential Decree of Indonesia's willingness to host the 2018 Asian Games has remain unpublished.

In fact, less than a month away there will be a meeting of the Olympic Council of Asia or the OCA Board Meeting, in Tehran, Iran and one of the agenda is to explain the legal basis for the games.

"There has been decree but we are already on the way. The problem is that there are certain things that require legality," said Rita.

Legal affairs is needed by Rita to be associated with the MoU and the contract for the preparation into the Asian Games. And on 21 May in Tehran, the administration file must include the Presidential Decree.

"We expect in the near future this decree is made as simple as possible, but helping organizers move forward. Pity the government and the President if there is a change," said Rita.

"If we late,we get less funds because we get less in sponsorship. Development of athlete village also will not be completed, because all development requires a period of time," said Rita.

Rita admits the match venue construction is also going to boarding athletes began shortly after the decree is published. "Yes it was, so after it, we immediately started to launch the logo, mascot, promotional activities, and others."

The Asiad, The Decree, and The Ban

At long last, the decree needed for the hosting of the Asian Games 2018 is finally signed by the Indonesian President Joko Widodo.

The decree will be used to ensure that Indonesia will host the Asiad in 2018, however that decree might be useless due of the current football chaos in Indonesia.

Indonesia is soon to be banned from FIFA, because they think there is intervention from the government. If banned, the clubs, as well as the Indonesian national team at all levels of age, can not carry out the international game, both FIFA and all test matches.

Indonesia has been appointed to host the 2018 Asian Games to be held in Palembang and Jakarta. But Rita said the appointment could change if FIFA ban Indonesia, due to the conflict that continues to drag on.
According to Rita, based on talks with FIFA president Sepp Blatter in 2013 and resulting, the world football governing body will impose direct ban if the Indonesian football ruined again.
Meanwhile, in a statement after chairing a meeting of the executive committee (Exco) at FIFA headquarters in Zurich at the end of March 2013, Blatter said it would continue to monitor closely the situation in Indonesia.
"According to Sepp Blatter, this [conflict in 2013] the last, because they received complaints from other countries, because Indonesia had a chance without being directly penalized," said Rita.
"We should focus on to host the Asian Games. This should be a moment for the revival of sports Indonesia. Therefore, should be nothing that hinder its implementation. "
"Imagine if we banned that make us not able to play football when to host the Asian Games. Maybe there will be a request [from other countries] that the Asian Games is not hold in Indonesia, because it can not hold a football match. "

• 4 weeks later...

OFFICIAL : Bird of Paradise is your Asian Games 2018 Mascot

Indonesian Minister of Youth and Sports Imam Nahrawi had officialy declared Papua's Bird of Paradise as the mascot for Asian Games 2018.

It is planned that the mascot design will be searched with a contest to be launched by 1st of June.

With a great view visually the bird is also represent nationalism, patriotlism, and the Indonesian unity.

Meanwhile is been decided that the games will be shared in Jakarta, Palembang, Banten, and West Java with details announced this September.

Indonesian Cricket will replace football popularity

With FIFA sanctioned the Indonesian Football recently. Cricket Association of Indonesia (PP PCI), believes cricket in Indonesia will be more developed and advanced in the country, even to replace the popularity of football. Education and Development Head of KONI, Subroto admitted cricket could replaced the popularity of football, even though it came from the UK and growing rapidly in Commonwealth countries, including India and Pakistan.

"I agree with the expectation or desire from PP PCI, cricket must go forward. Cricket one of sports that are played on grass, this could lead to the development of positive mental and honesty, fairness, respect for others, accept the referee's decision, polite , and self control, "he said during the official opening of trainers development workshop at Hotel Ciputra Cibubur cricket, Saturday (30/5).
Developing coach and workshop for the media aimed to increase scientific knowledge about this sport. In conjunction, the event invited the British ambassador to Indonesia to share his opinion.
"I support everything that has been made by the Chairman of PP PCI Aziz Shamsuddin, as well as to face the national teams of other countries. I've studied the history of cricket in Indonesia, and I believe cricket Indonesia has great potential to advance," said British Ambassador to Indonesia, Moazzar Malik.
Chairman of the PP PCI, Aziz Shamsuddin, in his speech at the opening of the development and workshop with the theme Improving the quality of the coach towards the 2018 Asian Games gives appreciation to the media.
"We believe that only by cooperating with media colleagues, then Indonesia Cricket will going forward. While our football is in trouble, cricket could replace football . Cricket can replace football," said Aziz.

Where is the logo? Didn't they promised to release it on January before the airplane accident happened and had to delay it? I think more than enough time has passed since the mourning period.

According to the latest news the logo should be unveiled before this August. However with the FIFA ban on Indonesia the games shall be relocated because no one will play in a FIFA sanctioned nation....

• 5 weeks later...

According to the latest news the logo should be unveiled before this August. However with the FIFA ban on Indonesia the games shall be relocated because no one will play in a FIFA sanctioned nation....

Then why will they unveil a logo if the 2018 Games will NOT be played in Indonesia? I bet it will go to China or Korea again.

• 3 weeks later...

Then why will they unveil a logo if the 2018 Games will NOT be played in Indonesia? 02I bet it will go to China or Korea again. 02

About thr relocation of the games we should wait until the next OCA GA held later in Turkmenistan however the Indonesians had already launched the venues so i'm not sure how the games will move on or relocated...

About thr relocation of the games we should wait until the next OCA GA held later in Turkmenistan however the Indonesians had already launched the venues so i'm not sure how the games will move on or relocated...

But you just said in the other post that the "Games would be relocated"? If not, then why did you say it??

But you just said in the other post that the "Games would be relocated"? 02If not, then why did you say it?? 02

I'm saying what the national media says here in Indonesia so I'm just translating them into english so don't blame the media not me but anyway if it's real it will happen at the GA later so please just wait...

I think football is the only sport that will be relocated, but i also believe that when the ASIAD started the ban for Indonesian FA is already lifted, so no worries, the events will take place in Indonesia... My worry is,as a person who live in Jakarta, i don't see any preparation for the games, except the MRT thing, and the plan to build new swimming pool... i really don't see major upgrade in Jakarta.... the the road is still full of potholes... the traffic jam is getting worse, the air pollution still very bad, there is no improvement in the pedestrian... the mentality of the jakarta's people still like uneducated people.... oh God. how will Jakarta host it... it's really unimaginable....

I think football is the only sport that will be relocated, but i also believe that when the ASIAD started the ban for Indonesian FA is already lifted, so no worries, the events will take place in Indonesia... My worry is,as a person who live in Jakarta, i don't see any preparation for the games, except the MRT thing, and the plan to build new swimming pool... i really don't see major upgrade in Jakarta.... the the road is still full of potholes... the traffic jam is getting worse, the air pollution still very bad, there is no improvement in the pedestrian... the mentality of the jakarta's people still like uneducated people.... oh God. how will Jakarta host it... it's really unimaginable....

This post proves that Asiad is not the event that appealing for Indonesians... for example we prefer the football euro rather then the olympics and motogp over f1 so knowing this Indonesia shall not waste time and money hosting something that is not even popular for Indonesians generally besides like i'm said in the 2019 asiad thread if Indonesia want a event that increase the national tourism popularity then Nusa Dua Bali should host the IOC Session instead because it's shorter, cheaper, more globally known, and we had more experience in this type of event so asiad 2018 will be nothing but a waste for the Indonesians...

When Jakarta won to be the the ASIAD host, i was very excited, because i hope this event could drag Jakarta to be a better city, i really hope the govt will force the Jakarta citizen to be more civilized, i hope Jakarta could be a world class city, like the neighbor Singapore, but up to now, in July 2015, there is no sucvh a thing, like i said, the govt seems doing nothing except for the MRT...

^^ Lol they said they would unveil it in February, then the airplane thing happened and it was delayed. Now its July and they are still making up excuses. These whole 2018 Asian Games have been a disaster in planification from both sides (Indonesia and OCA) so far. In fact I fear we might see a switch of host city very soon at this pace.

^^ Lol they said they would unveil it in February, then the airplane thing happened and it was delayed. Now its July and they are still making up excuses. These whole 2018 Asian Games have been a disaster in planification from both sides (Indonesia and OCA) so far. In fact I fear we might see a switch of host city very soon at this pace.

I'm really hope the OCA could dump the asiad from Indonesia and let the games hosted by a better city and nation however there is the rumour that the logo will be launched in August 4th and the media here is busy telling that the bird of paradise will be the mascot so we should wait for the official release...

anyone know when will they reveal the official logo?

It's official the Asian Games 2018 will be launched this September they will launch the logo alongside with the mascot i think....
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some flash news here....

Asiad 2018 will be launched in the National Monument (Monas) in 9th September 2015 the exact launch time is yet to be unveiled

OCA allows the banned Indonesian football team to play in the Asiad 2018 and the OCA also said that they will help Indonesia to solve their current football sanction at FIFA

• 2 weeks later...

Jokowi President Meets President of OCA to Discuss 2018 Asian Games

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) received the President of the Olympic Council of Asia or the (OCA) Fahad Al-Sabah at the State Palace, at the Presidential Palace Complex, Jakarta, Tuesday (08/18/2015). The meeting discussed the readiness of Indonesia to host the 2018 Asian Games.
Jokowi President was accompanied by the Chairman of KOI, Rita Subowo and Minister of Youth and Sports Imam Nahrawi the meeting. "There were two things that are discussed with the President. The first is the preparation for the 2018 Asian Games," Rita said after the meeting.
"Then Mr. President also illustrate the readiness of Indonesia. And it is important that in 2017 is the test event year which is the Asian Youth Games for athletes under 18 years old," said Rita added.
Related to logos, mascots, and others, Rita reveals the Ministry of Youth and Sports will be a leader to carry it out. On the other hand the President of OCA, Fahad Al Sabah claimed excited over the commitment and preparation of Indonesia in welcoming the largest sporting event in the Asia.
"My job as President of the OCA is to ensure that this cooperation that can run a successful Asian Games, Asian Games can be an added value to the host country in the future," said Fahad

• 2 weeks later...

Asian Games 2018 Launching on 9 September

Chairman of the Indonesian Olympic Committee (KOI) Rita Subowo will launch the 2018 Asian Games campaign on 9th September. She expects at that time logo, mascot, and the torch relay will be launched.

"Master plan 2018 Asian Games has been completed with the help of consultants from China, South Korea, and London, England. We also provide an opportunity for the region to prepare for the 2018 Asian Games among other volunteers. We will recruit volunteers from among the 35,000 athletes, officials, coaches and sports for interactive cooperation with 45 countries in Asia, "he said in Jakarta, Thursday (27/8).

It is said, the provision of infrastructure related to the implementation of budget 2018 Asian Games available in the four provinces that will host which is Jakarta, South Sumatra, Banten and West Java.

"Olympic Committee of Asia makes it easy for Indonesia only for athlete development, velodrome and aquatic stadium. Other stadiums are only allowed to use existing or renovation venues," she said.

However, Rita added the Asian Games in 2018 will also be supported by 14 ministries and state institutions through the instruction of the president.

"We need the support of all parties. for successful implementation, and successful coaching athletes as well so that we can co-exist for a successful 2018 Asian Games," said Rita