Ideas for the Olympic Rings in Rio

p.s.s. There better not really be a blow up emblem, though I could imagine inflation being a possible part of a construction method. To be honest I hated the logo, however I've looked at it differently recently and it's shapes and arches somewhat recall the signature architect of Brazil, something I think should have been exploited to a much larger degree....but then like Tony I love architecture, I do not however have.....ATD or OCD, I can't remember the abbr....was it ADD maybe.

p.s.s. I think the illuminated logos should shine green, or white, or maybe gold if you want to match the sunset. The green would speak to the foliage it would be juxtaposed against. White may be too harsh but it depend on the light used, it should be able to adjust intensity so it is visible at dusk and not too bright at black night. that is the clearest most pure message.

p.s.s. There better not really be a blow up emblem, though I could imagine inflation being a possible part of a construction method. To be honest I hated the logo, however I've looked at it differently recently and it's shapes and arches somewhat recall the signature architect of Brazil, something I think should have been exploited to a much larger degree....but then like Tony I love architecture, I do not however have ACD.

Correction: OCD.

Anyway, I never knew Your interested in Architecture aswell?

Correction: OCD.

Anyway, I never knew Your interested in Architecture aswell?

....funny I was just in there editing cuz I can't remember the abbreviation.

Tony, I think everyone here is interested to a degree in architecture, I mean it's a gigantic Olympic component, or has been on many occasion and has been part of the dramatic soaring moments of many games....and all the controversial EXCESSES that have been realized are on everyone's minds...so of course everybody here is affected.

Me? Yes I'm passionate about it, my life revolves around it.

I like Architecture...Canadian architecture, German architecture, 'Merican architecture, Baroque architecture, Neo-Classical architecture, Brutal-Deco architecture, Modern architecture, Georgian architecture, Industrial architecture, Renaissance architecture, Spanish architecture, Russian architecture, Chinesse architecture, Australian Outback architecture, Japanese architecture, Arabian architecture, etc.

I really like architecture.

The Rio Look budget is unlikely to stretch to creating Olympic Rings of the size proposed at the beginning of the thread. I know they are fantasy ideas but the scale of them is gigantic - London stretched its budget and technology just doing Tower Bridge and the massive rings on the side of the Aquatics Centre.

There may well be inflatable 3D Rio emblems (how else will they float?) but the money the Look team have will always prioritise the Rings over Emblems for Venue and City 3D spectaculars, it's what the IOC favour in their Look reports.

The Rio Look budget is unlikely to stretch to creating Olympic Rings of the size proposed at the beginning of the thread. I know they are fantasy ideas but the scale of them is gigantic - London stretched its budget and technology just doing Tower Bridge and the massive rings on the side of the Aquatics Centre.

There may well be inflatable 3D Rio emblems (how else will they float?) but the money the Look team have will always prioritise the Rings over Emblems for Venue and City 3D spectaculars, it's what the IOC favour in their Look reports.

A bit of Googling tells me...

Vancouver had two sets of 14m high rings in its bay, at a cost of $4.5m.

London's Tower Bridge Rings were about 12m high and cost £300,000.

I can't tell how big the Rio ones would need to be to make some of these ideas work, but that gives some idea of costs at least.

A bit of Googling tells me...

Vancouver had two sets of 14m high rings in its bay, at a cost of $4.5m.

London's Tower Bridge Rings were about 12m high and cost £300,000.

I can't tell how big the Rio ones would need to be to make some of these ideas work, but that gives some idea of costs at least.

I love the laser projections often we see in Sugar Loaf... It would be amazing to have some neon green matrix-like Olympic Rings projected on it during the games.

pa20outb.jpg

The Olympic Rings on the Guanabara Bay and on the sea

Near the Sugarloaf, Rio Downtown, Rio-Niterói Bridge, Copacabana, Ipanema and the fabulous Museum of Contemporary Art in Niterói

MG_3929.jpg
1208_rio_de_janeiro_aerea_1257.jpg

004.jpg

Rio_de_Janeiro_Ponte_Niteroi_Aerea_104_F

sdc16498.jpg

rio_de_janeiro_sunset_by_scwl_d6i0e96.jp
The Olympic Rings on the Forte do Leme

DSC_10016b.jpg
The Olympic Rings on the Morro Cara de Cão

baia_de_guanabara20140731_0003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing yet that looks right, the city looks better without them, I guess it's your obligation to be branded by the IOC.

Something strange, this logo seems to be loosing some of its appeal just now, maybe due all the problems it has caused and the burden it brings.

Why is it the best choice

The rings on a boat can be moved from the Guanabara Bay to Copacabana, Ipanema and the Barra da Tijuca region.

This is the most versatile and brilliant option, I think.

But the landscape of Rio is so stunning that it's nice to imagine other situations... :P

.....not sure I'd call a barge rings brilliant, its been done before and the barge/boat always looks distracting and clunky; now, a submerged vessel with rings attached that appear to float above the surface.....that would be brilliant and new.

Archived