Ideas for the Olympic Rings in Rio

The Olympic rings are the icon of the Olympic Games. And Rio has a spectacular scenery, probably one of the most exuberant of all the Olympic Cities and on Earth. Here, I propose ideas and places for the Rings in Rio.
Idea number 1
Place: Duque de Caxias Fortress (or Leme Fortress)
View from the SugarLoaf...
rio2016_rings.jpg
An aerial view...
rio2016_rings_olympics.jpg
Copacabana, view from the Olympic Rings...
rio_2016_rings_olympics.jpg
and the view from the beach...
rings_2016_olympics.jpg

Idea number 2
Place: Guanabara Bay (near the SugarLoaf)

7351553170_75a38a4397_b.jpg
rio_2016_olympics.jpg

Idea number 3
Place: SugarLoaf

7351553170_75a38a4397_bdw.jpg
rio_2016_olympics_2.jpg

Exactly because of the beautiful scenery, putting a giant rings ensemble somewhere so visible would take away a lot of that scenery, I think.

I think it is possible to downsize it's impact. Maybe something like this:

11bs1tz.png

A more natural color that changes at night time like Vancouver. It's also a little smaller.

We've seen the rings in bridges 2 times in recent years (London 2012 and Sydney 2000). I think Rio can use the natural landscape of the city, especially the SugarLoaf and Copacabana.

Idea number 1 - Other angles

olympic_rings_copacabana.jpg

8971642774_54a698967d_h.jpg

The rings floating in the sea of ​​Copacabana, Ipanema and Barra da Tijuca and also in Guanabara Bay...

14390146864_7de55b1054_h.jpg

And another probable place: Copacabana Fortress

nature_landscapes_hdwallpaper_copacabana

We've seen the rings in bridges 2 times in recent years (London 2012 and Sydney 2000). I think Rio can use the natural landscape of the city, especially the SugarLoaf and Copacabana.

I disagree on this. If the Newcastle Olympic Rings were to become some sort of tradition, I think it should be easily distinguishable from other Olympic-Rings decorated monuments/products/POI. That way, when people think of "Olympic rings + bridges", the first thing that comes to mind would be the Newcastle Olympic Rings. Besides traveling across oceans, putting it on a unified spot can make it more unique.

I disagree on this. If the Newcastle Olympic Rings were to become some sort of tradition, I think it should be easily distinguishable from other Olympic-Rings decorated monuments/products/POI. That way, when people think of "Olympic rings + bridges", the first thing that comes to mind would be the Newcastle Olympic Rings. Besides traveling across oceans, putting it on a unified spot can make it more unique.

Well... We're talking about the Olympic rings and its rich history. Not only the recent history. The Tower Bridge is an world famous landmark of London. The Sydney Harbor Bridge is a world famous landmark of Sydney. But the 'Ponte Rio-Niterói' (Rio-Niteroi Bridge) is not an icon of Rio. It was not built to be a wonder of the world's architecture, It was built to be a great landmark of the world's engineering (is one of the 10 largests bridges in the world, but not a Rio icon).

The difference:

Not iconic place - Rio-Niteroi Bridge

Rio_de_Janeiro_Ponte_Niteroi_Aerea_104_F

Iconic place

themostbeautifulplaceonearthplanetglobew

And to remember, the logo was used near the SugarLoaf in the last videos:

Rio_2016_logo_in_bay.jpg

Rio_2016_logo_on_water.jpg
^^^^
It would be perfect to see the logo in this place near the SugarLoaf Mountain and the Olympic Rings in the Leme Fortress with the beautiful view of Copacabana in the background...

Wait, are we talking about the Newcastle Rings or the rings Rio will put up? The Newcastle Rings weren't actually in London, but rather in the nearby city of Newcastle on their Tyne Bridge, not London's. I would definitely associate Tower Bridge with London, but I don't think the Tyne bridge would come into mind. I've actually never even heard of it until now.

So, are there any bridges near Rio? :P

Exactly because of the beautiful scenery, putting a giant rings ensemble somewhere so visible would take away a lot of that scenery, I think.

They could make the rings transparent and illuminate it during the night. They could also play around with the colors a bit (e.g. Colors of nation's flag with the most medals or most recent record breaker athlete's nation flag color) instead of using the [very noticeable] Olympic ring colors. Just need to make the colors a bit less stand-outy so the rings can still blend into the scenery. Or they could just keep the colors to a minimum. Simplicity can also be very beautiful. ^_^

Uhm, Newcastle is NOT nearby London! It's basically the opposite end of England, aka a different planet.

It does if you zoom out all the way on a digital map :P

(any famous bridges in Brazil then? :rolleyes:)

There is no way Rio has the money to make Rings that big. I doubt even the manufacturers could make them that big.

I expect they will use forced perspective on the media shots similar to London's Rings on the River to make them appear closer to landmarks than they are.

I doubt we'll see massive 3D emblems either.

Why? We already have one of them (inflated) in London Olympic Stadium for handover ceremony. Lots of Fulecos around Brazil.

Too early for this claim.

There is no way Rio has the money to make Rings that big.

Money Rio have, maybe it's not interesting to use it to make big Olympic logos all around the city.

So your telling me, that Rio does not have the money to build giant Olympic Rings of a simple design, but they do have the money to build several new complex (engineering-wise when compared to constructing rings) Olympic/WC venues and numerous transit lines? Besides, Rio doesn't really need to build rings. The Brazilian Navy is bringing some free (I think) rings from England :P

There is no way Rio has the money to make Rings that big. I doubt even the manufacturers could make them that big.

I expect they will use forced perspective on the media shots similar to London's Rings on the River to make them appear closer to landmarks than they are.

It's serious or It's Just A Joke?

Rio has one of the thirty largest economies in the world. Rio is an Olympic city.

Evidently Rio has money...

They can spend whatever they want I think, that's what we all want now and then you can complain how expensive the games are thus all the avoidance issue we see. Doesn't matter however, those cities avoiding bids may not be ideal, they save us time and brain cells by backing out. Sometimes I hope the US will back out, then I'm like f*ck it, the convenience would be awesome and it might be good for business.

p.s. The ring don't need to be that big anyway, they look too big don't you think.

Smaller will be more elegant and blend in with the iconic, amazing, sublime Rio fantasy landscape. You will cry for sure at some point looking at it during 2016.

Archived