Sign in to follow this  
Sagacious

Glasgow 2014 - Day 3

Triathlon Mixed event was a great moment ! That should be include in the coming Olympics ...

• Like 1

Triathlon Mixed event was a great moment ! That should be include in the coming Olympics ...

It was great fun....and I agree it'd be good in the Olympics (not just saying that because we'd be looking good for a medal) ;)

It is an optional sport that Scotland has no interest in. Have to remember that India gerrymandered the hell out of the 2010 program. About 40 medals India won in Delhi are not being competed in Glasgow.

• Like 2

Uganda has beaten Sri Lanka in the Sevens giving the crowd something to cheer about as they won hearts for their valiant efforts.

Edited by DrAlexjcDada

It is an optional sport that Scotland has no interest in. Have to remember that India gerrymandered the hell out of the 2010 program. About 40 medals India won in Delhi are not being competed in Glasgow.

Wow- that suggests the sport selection system is a bit loose for comfort!

Eh, I'm okay with this for the Commonwealth games. It doesn't have the cachet of the Olympics so you have to have sports that the host nation will have an interest in. Nobody cares that much about which country does well at those games.

That being said, I am 100% against having "optional" sports in the Olympics for that very reason: sports selection has a very strong effect on the medal tally and it should not be skewed towards the host.

Edited by Fox334

I think the way it works because it means there will be interest in the host. If no one cares about a certain sport it makes no sense to put the money into hosting it.

Core Sports are: Athletics, badminton, boxing, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, rugby 7's, squash, swimming and weightlifting.

Optional sports are: wrestling, water polo, volleyball, triathlon, ten-pin bowling, tennis, taekwondo, table tennis, synchronized swimming, softball, shooting, sailing, rugby league, rowing, life saving, judo, handball, golf, football, fencing, diving, cycling, cricket, canoeing, billiards, basketball and archery.

2018 will switch judo for basketball.

I think the way it works because it means there will be interest in the host. If no one cares about a certain sport it makes no sense to put the money into hosting it.

Yeah, I've always quite liked the optional sports system. I think it works for the Commies. As long as it's not overdone, I could see a role for a host-discretionary sport, or at most two, in the Olympics.

Core Sports are: Athletics, badminton, boxing, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, rugby 7's, squash, swimming and weightlifting.

Optional sports are: wrestling, water polo, volleyball, triathlon, ten-pin bowling, tennis, taekwondo, table tennis, synchronized swimming, softball, shooting, sailing, rugby league, rowing, life saving, judo, handball, golf, football, fencing, diving, cycling, cricket, canoeing, billiards, basketball and archery.

2018 will switch judo for basketball.

Half of those optional sports that you mentioned are only "recognized" and cannot be placed in the program at the moment.