Lima to Bid to Host 130th IOC Session in 2017

GBModerator

Well, actually Lima will have more experience than Durban. That just shows the powerful allure of Africa where the Olympics are concerned.

Any interesting comparison of data:

Major international, multi-sport hosting experience:

Durban: None.

Lima: 2019 PanAm Games.

The population of greater Durban is 3.5 million. The population of greater Lima is almost 8.5 million.

2012 GDP of South Africa: $384 billion

2012 GDP of Peru: $197 billion

South Africa total Olympic medals: 76 (23 gold)

Peru total Olympic medals: 4 (1 gold)

IMO, there's no question that Durban will host long before Lima. That said, both of these cities have a lot of work to do to position themselves to land an Olympics.

My point was that having some sort experience does not necessarily correlate to a "serious" bid. There are so many other factors GCL seem to ignore.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear, reader. Please stop and look at this tiny info before you continue your participation on this thread:

Peru has NEVER announced plans to bid for the Olympics and nobody said otherwise, ever.

You can go on now. :)

Dear, reader. Please stop and look at this tiny info before you continue your participation on this thread:

Peru has NEVER announced plans to bid for the Olympics and nobody said otherwise, ever.

You can go on now. :)

It's absolutely true that Peru has never declared plans to bid for Olympics and I can't see them being competitive for decades. However I did come across this:

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-is-hosting-the-olympics-in-perus-future-101192

I get this crap from cough "Durban Supporters" Well I know an South African sporting hero who lives in Durban Peter Pollock he says to me that Durban is too small for the Olympics Games and South Africa is going backwoods now economical and socially and many of my mates are from South Africa says that too.

Durban is not even a beta world city only got an tiny airport too no way they will host the Olympics Games Almaty is more of an global city then Durban is, Peru is an democracy so is Kazakhstan and Russia they have open and free elections. Lima is an up and coming sporting hub and if Europe is still weak by 2021 and Los Angeles USA host the 2024 Summer Games then Lima Peru would easy beat Baku Azerbaijan, Durban South Africa and the The Gulf.

Why Tony did have to come to this topic WHY

It's an open topic. If you can't be realistic and back up Your argument, don't discuss.

I get this crap from cough "Durban Supporters" Well I know an South African sporting hero who lives in Durban Peter Pollock he says to me that Durban is too small for the Olympics Games and South Africa is going backwoods now economical and socially and many of my mates are from South Africa says that too.

Durban is not even a beta world city only got an tiny airport too no way they will host the Olympics Games Almaty is more of an global city then Durban is, Peru is an democracy so is Kazakhstan and Russia they have open and free elections. Lima is an up and coming sporting hub and if Europe is still weak by 2021 and Los Angeles USA host the 2024 Summer Games then Lima Peru would easy beat Baku Azerbaijan, Durban South Africa and the The Gulf.

How is Russia and Kazakhstan a Democracy? Please just stop. Your unrealistic, unproven, false claims are boring and pointless. PERU WON'T HOST AN OLYMPIC GAMES ANYTIME SOON, NEITHER WILL KAZAKHSTAN, ANCHORAGE, HOBART OR ANY OTHER CRAZY IDEAS YOU HAVE!

Lima has no chance VS Europe or Durban!

Hobart I never said they will host the Olympics Games now you just making up stuff did your're mum said never tell lies, Russia has an multi party system and so does Kazakhstan they have elections for the President which are fair and open, This is not the 1980s any more and got news for you the cold war is over.

Lima Peru is shaping out be an an global city now more then your're beloved Durban at least South African sporting hero Peter Pollock tell it like it is Durban way to small for the Olympics Games.

Hobart I never said they will host the Olympics Games now you just making up stuff did your're mum said never tell lies, Russia has an multi party system and so does Kazakhstan they have elections for the President which are fair and open, This is not the 1980s any more and got news for you the cold war is over.

Lima Peru is shaping out be an an global city now more then your're beloved Durban at least South African sporting hero Peter Pollock tell it like it is Durban way to small for the Olympics Games.

Do you think if you keep saying the same things over and over it's more likely of becoming true? I don't think I'd use the phrase "fair and open" to describe politics in Russia. But no, go ahead, keep telling us how Lima Peru (do you really need to give the country every time, as if everyone here doesn't know where Los Angeles is) is on the verge of becoming a global city capable of hosting the Olympics. You know what.. GaWC (for what their list is worth) already has them as a Beta+. Rio de Janiero Brazil is only a Beta. Yet Rio is about to host an Olympics and Lima, maybe they've got a shot at being the next South American host, but they would need practically the rest of the world to collapse to get any consideration as soon as 2028.

Lima, maybe they've got a shot at being the next South American host, but they would need practically the rest of the world to collapse to get any consideration as soon as 2028.

I'm pretty sure that if the rest of the world collapses, the least of our worries is whether or not Lima, Peru, South America will host the Olympics. And if they do, who will attend?

I'm pretty sure that if the rest of the world collapses, the least of our worries is whether or not Lima, Peru, South America will host the Olympics. And if they do, who will attend?

I don't know, I feel like that would still be at the top of the priorities list for some people here

Don't You look at real life? Don't You watch the news? Russia is not Democratic.

Lima is not a major/global city like London, England; New York City, Tokyo, Paris, Toronto, Dubai and Sydney. Lima won't Host anytime soon.

Don't You look at real life? Don't You watch the news? Russia is not Democratic.

Lima is not a major/global city like London, England; New York City, Tokyo, Paris, Toronto, Dubai and Sydney. Lima won't Host anytime soon.

I watch the independent news unbiased news every single day where you get your're news from? The BBC government run news channel

Durban is more powerful and a more realistic Olympic destination then Lima is. Fact.

While I agree that Lima won't host anytime soon, it could be a realistic host in another thirty or forty years if Peru's economy improves. It is a bigger city than Chicago, nearly as big as Paris and three times bigger than Durban. The problem is Peru's infrastructure, industry and finances.

But I think we will see Buenos Aires, a larger and wealthier city, host before Lima. And probably Sao Paulo too.

While I agree that Lima won't host anytime soon, it could be a realistic host in another thirty or forty years if Peru's economy improves. It is a bigger city than Chicago, nearly as big as Paris and three times bigger than Durban. The problem is Peru's infrastructure, industry and finances.

But I think we will see Buenos Aires, a larger and wealthier city, host before Lima. And probably Sao Paulo too.

I think Santiago, Chile will Host before Lima, Peru. GCL has these crazy claims that no one listens to.

Durban has more chance of Hosting the Olympics then Lima has. Durban has proven itself with the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa and would be the First African Host. Durban also has the infrastructure used for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. Durban is also the favourite to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Also, if Hosting IOC Sessions and Pan American/Parapan American Games helps, why hasn't Buenos Aires, Singapore, Guatemala City, Copenhagen and Guadalajara Hosted the main Olympic Games? Russia and Kazakhstan are not Democracy's. Peru isn't at Olympic Hosting Standards. Lima won't Host the Summer Olympics anytime soon, same goes for Almaty with the Winter Olympics.

2022 = Oslo, Norway (Europe).

2024 = Rome, Italy (Europe).

2026 = Denver, United States Of America (North America).

2028 = Durban, South Africa (Africa).

2030 = Krakow, Poland (Europe).

2032 = Berlin, Germany (Europe).

2034 = Beijing, China (Asia).

I guess you haven't atched the news about Argentina today...

I think Santiago, Chile will Host before Lima, Peru. GCL has these crazy claims that no one listens to.

Durban has more chance of Hosting the Olympics then Lima has. Durban has proven itself with the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa and would be the First African Host. Durban also has the infrastructure used for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. Durban is also the favourite to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Also, if Hosting IOC Sessions and Pan American/Parapan American Games helps, why hasn't Buenos Aires, Singapore, Guatemala City, Copenhagen and Guadalajara Hosted the main Olympic Games? Russia and Kazakhstan are not Democracy's. Peru isn't at Olympic Hosting Standards. Lima won't Host the Summer Olympics anytime soon, same goes for Almaty with the Winter Olympics.

2022 = Oslo, Norway (Europe).

2024 = Rome, Italy (Europe).

2026 = Denver, United States Of America (North America).

2028 = Durban, South Africa (Africa).

2030 = Krakow, Poland (Europe).

2032 = Berlin, Germany (Europe).

2034 = Beijing, China (Asia).

Uhm, criticising GCL's crazy claims and then in the same message making your own 20 year prediction is quite funny.

Archived